Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Longshot: Anyone know of any available 60T chainring chainguards

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

See title. I am installing a 60T chainring on my new Xootr (already in the mail) based on some suggestions from a thread I posted yesterday. Anyone know of any chainguards for a 60T? If not chainguards then something to at least keep the chain from coming off into the crank.

Google didn't wield too much hope, or a search through the forums.

Thx for any help.
Old 09-03-10, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by clearcastle04
See title. I am installing a 60T chainring on my new Xootr (already in the mail) based on some suggestions from a thread I posted yesterday. Anyone know of any chainguards for a 60T? If not chainguards then something to at least keep the chain from coming off into the crank.

Google didn't wield too much hope, or a search through the forums.
Thx for any help.
You'll probably have to cob something up .. Jur on this forum did something effective and simple with his setup.. he may have a picture .. your 60t ring probably won't be pinned and ramped, so it will be more resistant to throwing the chain... you might want to try it first and see how it goes... if you do need a chain keeper, you can put a clamp on the seat stay and then an arm off of that to go over the top of the chainring to prevent the chain from going off to the inside or outside.. it's a bit of trial and error.. you could also mount a dummy front derailleur, but that would a lot more costly.
Old 09-03-10, 12:17 PM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since 60T is apparently the largest available chain ring, and chain ring guards are usually machined down from still LARGER chain rings, you chances of finding a 'normal' solution is likely slim to none.

Agree with Bruce, choose from best of what others have done previously. In other words, 'steal' a good idea or two.

Lou
Old 09-03-10, 12:35 PM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What does a birdy chainguard go up to?
Old 09-03-10, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try custom ones here:

https://www.bbgbashguard.com/
Old 09-03-10, 02:46 PM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No BIG ones shown - looks like they could do it though. Interesting.
Old 09-03-10, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Xootr Swift, Dahon Speed P8, Jamis Aurora

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Won't protect your clothing from the chain but Jay Gaerlan has a device for keeping the chain on the chain ring. See the description of his roller kit.
Old 09-03-10, 03:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Foldable Two
No BIG ones shown - looks like they could do it though. Interesting.
The BBG guy made me a custom one a couple of years back, but I think larger sizes have to be some type of plastic/vinyl thingy rather than metal. Which is what mine is and it's been very hard-wearing.
Old 09-03-10, 04:37 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've sent the BBG an email with what I want so I'll see how it turns out. How did you like the way yours turned out chagzuki. Does it look decent?
Old 09-03-10, 04:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, it does the job just fine and looks tidy. It remains remarkably unscratched.
Old 09-03-10, 06:34 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Please keep us updated if you get one from them - I would be interested too.
Old 09-04-10, 09:13 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hi Jur,
The guy from BBG emailed me back and said he can indeed make me a custom chainguard, albeit out of a black polycarbonate material (fine by me). Price is $35.00. I will definitely go ahead and do it, but first though, have you fit your 60t chainring on the inner position. I guess the chainguard would be a no-go if the 60t could only be fitted to the outer because thats where the chainguard would go.

Last edited by clearcastle04; 08-13-11 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-04-10, 10:54 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a point, that happened to work in my case in terms of chainline.
Old 09-04-10, 10:34 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I would be tempted to screw it directly to the chainring with some custom holes and spacers. Failing that, the chainring could go on the inside but a spacer would be necessary to fix the chainline.
Old 09-05-10, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 60T guard on my Tikit (and a 60T ring). Where to get 60T guards:

1. Vuelta makes them, but they are rare. They are dull gray and ugly. Greenspeed will sell them to you for $50 AUD plus shipping from Australia. This came to about $65 and is the cheapest way to buy them in the US.

2. Toxy also makes nicer looking black 60T guards for 39 euro plus shipping from Germany (and 70T for 50 euro!).

3. Zach Kaplan cycles also has Vueltas for $50 US and is hesitant to not sell them in pairs.

4. Bike Friday can machine custom ones for about $65 to $75.

5. There are other sources for custom machined ones.

After installing the guard on the Tikit I discovered a problem. Vuelta's chainguard is significantly larger than the chainring: it could probably support 61 or even 62T rings. I had also upgraded to a 9-speed which means a thinner chain. When I shifted to the top rear gears, the chain would vibrate (naturally) as it comes over and that vibration was enough to smack against the guard. The guard would then go BIIIIIIINNNNNNNG!!!!! Like a nice loud bicycle bell.

I fixed this though: I bought the small clear adhesive vinyl feet you attach to the bottoms of (say) table lamps to keep them from scratching your table, then applied them in a circle wedged between then guard and the chainring. Totally absorbs the ring's bell vibration. Now it sounds like a quiet "tink".

Last, I installed my chainring on the outer position in the Tikit to keep the chain more in-line with the rear cassette (and reduce the chain vibration a bit, as well as pretty much eliminate inside chain drops). To do this required that I add spacers to still add the chainring guard to the outside.
Old 09-05-10, 09:04 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Add to 5) above. Florian Schlumpf , and Highpath Engineering in Switzerland and Wales .

https://www.schlumpf.ch https://www.highpath.net/

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-05-10 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-05-10, 07:50 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks all for the input. That Toxy chainguard looks sweet! I have already ordered the custom one from BBG though.... Its a good thing probably, cause it only cost me $35.00 and from the other ones I saw on the BBG website they look decent.
So I am a little confused at this point, though. My knowledge of bycycle mechanics is not huge mind you, the stock chainring I got on my swift came with the 52t chainring mounted on the inside position and a chainguard on the outside. So if I put a 60t on the inside like the 52t is now, wouldn't the chainline be the same and so I wouldn't need spacers. But Jur, you're saying that the chainline won't be the same?
But if I got you right, Chagzuki, the 60t worked for you on the inside and the chainline was OK?
Old 09-05-10, 08:41 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, I was referring to my own case; I have a different bottom bracket that the stock one, so the chainline is not the same as yours. So If I move my chainring then I would need a spacer.

It also depends on the particular crankset that you stick on a bottom bracket, where the chainline will end up.

So, if your chainring is now on the inside, then it won't be a problem.
Old 09-06-10, 11:25 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Okay, great. So I think right now I've ordered everything I need: the 60t chainring, the custom BBG chainguard, and a new chain. Unfortunately the chainring has to be backordered from hostel shoppe so it'll be weeks yet til the conversion gets underway. I'll post pics when its all done...
Old 09-06-10, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you sure that you need a chainguar?

Last week I removed chain guards from my TSR and it seems to work just fine. Went yesterday to 30miles ride, including 13miles on dirt trail and the chain stayed in place just fine.

My setup: 40T single chain ring, 11/32 9sp cassette with X9 short cage detailer. Chain length minimized to large/large + two links.

Edit: here is an example of a ~60T with no chain guard

https://www.the-bike.net/forumsbilder...n-jubilee2.jpg

Last edited by kamtsa; 09-06-10 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-06-10, 09:40 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I am completely convinced a guard is necessary. With a new chain it is less of a problem, but when the chain develops more flexiness from wear, it is inevitable it will be thrown off the outside.
Old 09-06-10, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jur
I am completely convinced a guard is necessary. With a new chain it is less of a problem, but when the chain develops more flexiness from wear, it is inevitable it will be thrown off the outside.
I considered to get this chain guard and then decided to wait and see if the chain really drops.

https://www.e13components.com/product_xcx.html

I may need to revisit this decision now.
Old 09-07-10, 08:49 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Along with what Jur mentioned, I wanted to have a chain guard for a couple other reasons as well. One to protect my clothing. Two, because its a folding bike, since I'll probably be stowing the bike in the back of cars fairly often, the chainguard will protect against lube stains a little bit more than not having a chainguard. Also, since I hear that larger chainrings are a little more prone to bending and have less clearance from curbs, rocks, etc. the chainguard will protect the chainring against bashing (I'm actually technically getting a bashguard).
Old 10-18-10, 10:23 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
So i received the chainguard from BBG and here are the pictures to prove it.

There were a few hiccups. One side of the guard was rough and unfinished. The guy from BBG emailed me and told me this though before I received it and offered to let me keep it and be refunded the $35.00 I paid for if I didn't like. Since it doesn't really matter what it looks like on the inside I just let it go. Also, at first when I installed it the chain rubbed against the chainguard during part of the crank rotation, probably because the chainguard is not perfectly straight. To remedy this I put back on the stock chainguard and put the new one over the stock one. This gave the chain enough space to not rub. I might eventually get chainring spacers to space it out instead of the old chainguard.

Not quite as smooth a process as I would have liked but I am happy now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
swift2..jpg (92.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg
chainguard23..jpg (89.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 10-18-10, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While we're showing pictures, here's the Vuelta 60T guard on my Tikit, in a dully painted gray:

P1050644..jpg

P1050643..jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.