Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 01:17 PM

Bikes: Dahon Roo EL (folding electric assist) Giant Cruiser/Crystalyte Phoenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folding bikes!

Hi,
in reply to your request, I have a Dahon Roo EL ebike, which I am very pleased with. Could not get it in England ( I live in Spain) so I ordered it from Germany thru' a cycle company here. Not cheap but very well made.
My wife rides a Dahon Speed 6, no motor, just the pedals and 6 derailleur gears, which she enjoys very much. Only problem is, I have to keep waiting for her to catch up!
I am at present lusting after the Birdy/Bionx combo. but cannot find a dealer here to try it out. I am not sure if 18" wheels are the way to go?
Cheers, briotone
Old 09-19-07, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Here she is, curled up at the corner in my work place and waiting patiently 'til my shift end.

Old 09-19-07, 01:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Folks, I've just bought my first folder. Officially, it's for Mrs 4322, but that may be subject to some negotiation. Its a second hand Apollo Transition (20" wheels, 6 speed). It seems to be nearly new, except for some cosmetic damage to the mudguard.

Although I was actually on the lookout for a hub geared bike, this seemed to be particularly good value at the price, so I went for it. I've not had chance to fully check it over and riding it properly, but from first impressions I'm pleased. I've never owned a folder before, so I was not sure how good or bad it is, and just what to look for. I know its not some supercool titanium lightweight or a sexy extra small fold, and it doesn't have the cachet that others do, but for me I think its well suited (easy-going leisure rides from home, and carrying by car when going on holiday). Also, a reasonable weight. I've no means of weighing it, but I visited Halfords to look at the same model, before buying it, and it is a very similar weight to the Dahon D7 that Halfords also sell.

I already have a Dawes hybrid type bike (bought about 12 years ago). It's noticably lighter than that. My wife is looking to start cycling again, and our daughter is nearly 3 so we intend to cycle as a family. We decided to go for a couple of folders so that we can pack them in the car for holidays. We've got the Apollo, and will now start looking for another folder to go with it, although when cycling from home I can still use my full size bike. So now I start looking for another folder to go with it.
Old 09-21-07, 01:42 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my first folder a month or so ago. It is a Dahon Stow-Away that was purchased in 1997 and sat in a sailboat untouched since then. It rides alot better then I first thought it would. I bought it just because it was so cheap ($50). Since then my girlfriend has claimed it as her to tkae to the neighborhood gym and pool and she put the "pretty green" milk crate on it! I think I'm going to take it for its first 10 miles r/t today.

A question I have, whats the best way to mount a waterbottle cage on these? I've noticed that the Downtube folders have them on the top tube. Should I just mount one on there? There is no braze-ons for this so I would have to get one of those aftermarket kits. For now, Ill just throw it in the milk crate!

Old 10-09-07, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a 1968 Schwinn stingray run-a-bout with the 3 speed stik shift that I got for 12 bucks and a late 60's Legnano folder. My 14 year old daughter told me riding the little bikes is "social suicide" hence the username. Vintage rules!
Old 10-13-07, 01:23 PM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is a scratchy notebook pic of my new downtube NS9
as I commue with it......
I this bike ! Somtimes less is more !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MyPicture-1ns9.jpg (92.3 KB, 237 views)
Old 10-13-07, 04:47 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by -=£em in Pa=-
Here is a scratchy notebook pic of my new downtube NS9
as I commue with it......
I this bike ! Somtimes less is more !
Heh, you're hooked!

I like the left side drive train. Never seen that before
Old 10-13-07, 08:40 PM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thats cuz your on the left underside of the world....
Thats the way stuff looks spun around to the normal side
Old 10-21-07, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The XX

Here's the XX restored to it's original glory.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-21-07, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Bird is the word

The new Silver beast.

The engineering and build quality is superb. The only thing I've done to it since is replace the brakes with SingleDigit Magnesium units(had them on hand, the originals were quite good) and put a carbon fiber handlebar on it to cut down on wrist and arm tingle. There really is no compelling reason to upgrade these other than replacing bits as they wear out. Very well thought out machine and the design of the fold makes it very easy to carry about.

This one came with the SRAM X7 derailler and trigger shifter, which I've come to prefer to the twisters.

Old 10-21-07, 11:14 PM

Bikes: Upgraded Scott Sub 20 in silver; Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc 2006 in limited edition Army green; Dahon Curve D3 foldable in white; Dahon MU P24 in blue.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I am a new foldie fan! This is my Dahon Curve D3, with upgrades.

I upgraded it with a Pazzaz carbon seat post, Rido Glow-in-the-dark saddle, Radius VRO handle post, Syntace VRO clamps, AL carbon handle bar, and Ergon R2M magnesium grips.

Loving the new ride, and the improved handling from the new parts!
Old 10-22-07, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Legnano pics

If you look up cool in the dictionary, this is what you'll see.......
Attached Images
legnano.jpg (27.2 KB, 184 views)
Old 10-25-07, 07:53 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I got my 1971 Phillips folder about a month ago (it's the same bike as the Raleigh Twenty) in it's all original condition and have done a few upgrades... the bike in the background is also a 1971 Phillips Twenty in all original form.

So far I have replaced the post and saddle, laced a new BMX wheel to the SA 3 speed, replaced the front wheel, got new tyres, new pedals, and removed the steel fenders and chainguard.

The bike lost 2.5 pounds in as many hours.

I have new fenders but haven't installed them yet and figure the bike should even be able to handle a good deal of winter riding.

The next things on the list are to replace the cottered axle with a square taper and install my Shimano 600 crankset.

Aside from all that... it's a fabulous bike to ride and I am most impressed with the bike's quick handling and stability at speed.

It has yet to be named although I am leaning towards "Phil".
Old 11-05-07, 11:31 PM

Bikes: 1975 Paris Sport 700, 2007 Dahon Mu P8 (folding bicycle), 1984 Miyata 210

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
This is my first new bike in over 33 years - a Dahon Mu P8. The few changes I made were to have fenders, rack, and bar ends installed along with MKS Ezy pedals with Power Grips in place of the plastic folding pedals.

It's been a long time coming. Last Thursday was my first short ride around the neighborhood. Friday, I put it through my 14 mile lunch hour ride and on Sunday I rode about 26 miles.

I haven't decided on a name. My old bike never got one. I've been thinking of "Pepe, my little MUle". It should serve me for recreation rides, commutes on occasion, some trips to the store and maybe a century each Spring or Summer.

It will need a headlight and a suitable bag for my laptop, lunch, and a change of clothes. Any suggestions?

Last edited by striegel; 11-05-07 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have had a 35 lb one speed folder with 16" wheels for 2 years. It goes easy into a suitcase or car or bus, but the one gear was killing me. So yesterday after much research and ebay watching I bought a new 2007 Downtube 20" NS. More work to pack for the airline but I hope to do some serious riding with it.
Old 11-15-07, 11:47 PM
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is my lastest, and hopefully last, folder that I buy and upgrade to my taste: Brompton M6R currently featured as S6E (Sports stem/handlebar, 6 speeds, no rear rack or fenders/mudguards).

Upgrades include brakepads, saddle, brake levers, rolling wheels, pedals and light system.
Old 11-16-07, 09:21 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You always take such jealousy-inducing pictures Raf! Love how the reflectors have made it look like it's got whitewalls...
Old 11-17-07, 07:35 AM

Bikes: Fuji Royale 1984, Specialized Crossroads 2004, Giant Halfway 2005, Giant OCR 2 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Giant Halfway. This bike works well for me.
Attached Images
Halfway2.jpg (87.4 KB, 155 views)
Old 11-18-07, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Here's my 2007 DT. Mods include ergo bar-ends & grips, wider handlebar, Kore stem, XT headset, Shimano sealed BB, 42T chainring, upgraded pedals, rigid fork and Big Apples.
Attached Images
My_DT_Resized.jpg (58.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 11-21-07, 02:12 PM
Old enough to know better

Bikes: On One, Surly, Gunnar, Lemond

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Swift

New Swift frame, built up with parts out of the garage...

Old 12-05-07, 03:28 PM
Weakling

Bikes: Microbike, but I want to own a Carryme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two old so called Minibikes which are very big but was seen as mini around 1960 or so.
I almost never use them.

My main folder is a now out of biz Microbike. A Swedish design.
https://flickr.com/photos/8233858@N05...7600645923733/

I bought a used one and they unfortunately have plastic in the spokes
and hub so the plactic is reported to get the plastic illness but mine
works well despite being some ten years old now or more. I don't remember
when I bought it. I rides very well compared to the Strida 3 that I have tested.
A-bike too seems to have as twitchy steering as old Strida had.

Does the new Strida 5 have less twitchy steering?
I hope the Carryme has the same good steering as my Microbike have.

Maybe Brompton and other more expensive bikes road much better but I am very pleased with this one.

But my next buy could be a Carryall from Pacific in Taiwan if it is as good as I hope.

Last edited by Weakling; 12-07-07 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-06-07, 08:40 PM

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recently got a Dahon Speed D7 ordered from Performance.

Tonight I placed an order with Amazon for a "PT Cruiser" folding bike bag. Cheap, from the dimensions I found on another web site it should fit the Dahon bike, and best of all, it doesn't appear to have any visible logos. I'll let you guys know if it works out.
Old 12-10-07, 09:15 AM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My Brompton/Merc hybrid that I've been working on a while.

Alloy frame + Fixed gear + Titanium = lightweight [8.8 kg /19 1/2 ilbs)
Handbuilt wheels: 16 spoked Velocity Aeroheats on Phil Wood/Pantour suspension hubs.
More detail in this thread:

Old 12-14-07, 12:19 PM
Sick Twisted Freak

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Twenty, 1968 AMF Hercules, 1970 Schwinn Varsity Sport, 1979 Schwinn Continental II, 1983 Nishiki Cresta, 2006 Jamis Coda Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had been watching Raleigh Twentys go on ebay for what I considered to be a fortune, upwards of a couple hundered dollars, and was very lucky to find this one (a '68) on Craigslist for $80. Cleaned up real nice. Missing the original rack and the pump, tho.

A very comfortable ride. The steering response feels fast and responsive, and the nylon sleeve that's in there keeps things from feeling too twitchy.
Attached Images
IMG_2682_sm.JPG (75.7 KB, 149 views)
Old 12-25-07, 02:34 AM
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
This is my "Product Improved" Raleigh Twenty after Stage I. When I plucked it off E-bay it was in pretty good shape; however, it needed a couple things like a good greasing, tires, and a new set of Sakae cotterless cranks as the cotters on the original had seized and I had to have them drilled out. It as had a non-functional SA-6 front dynohub that was just adding weight and the gosh-awful-maybe-I'll-stop-when-wet-by-next-Christmas chrome rims. I would have loved to resuscitate the SA-6; however, I would have needed a scad of small parts (Axle, cones, etc.) that I would have been just as lucky finding them in a very large haystack than here in the Houston. So I set the original wheelset aside and with a lot of luck I came across a rebuilt wheel set with alloy rims on E-bay. I then added a Brooks Conquest, Tioga Pool Comp TA Tires, new tubes, a CPC reflector set and an old Cateye Enduro 1 that I had laying around.

What's planned for Phase II?? Well, I figure a rack, some Kool Stop brake pads. I don't plan to do anything too earthshaking as it's good enough for what it is which is 'round the neighborhood utility bike. Or rather a grab-to-go-to-the-store-for pocketable items bike..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.