Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your confente's

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your confente's

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Show us your confente's

Ok. something different for us today. we have seen your de rosas, your merckx's, your schwinn's .....now.....dont be bashful or ashamed of your wealth, show your Confente!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0749..jpg (49.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0728..jpg (41.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 09-06-10, 10:56 PM
Senior Moment

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 09-06-10, 11:05 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
This thread won't make 3 pages...
Old 09-06-10, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Joe- Owner's of these bikes for the most part are not like many exotic car brand owners it appears. A fellow years ago announced a Confente site, confente.org. Nothing became of it to my knowledge. Maybe best comparison would be classic Bugatti owners, many know each other, but not a lot of fanfare publicly, aside from Pebble Beach.
There is no nationally renowned Concours show for bicycles. So, they stay hidden away. Besides, if bought as new the price was expensive but not crazy.
Old 09-07-10, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's one I found at a garage sale this past weekend... kidding!

This one was hanging safely in my buddies garage for several years. He was deciding what to do with it, knowing it's value. His father gave it to him years ago. His dad was a big cycling guy back in the 70's and 80's and he was part of the 1984 LA Olympics cycling committee.

My friend decided to sell it a few years ago and took these pictures... I think they are kinda funny, such a coveted piece of cycling memorabilia.... The bike frame is pristine just dusty and dirty.

There are only two reasons that these bikes are valued at what they are... 1 is that they are masterfully built and, 2 is that they are scarce... 2 being the operative reason. Only 135 or so were made.
Old 09-07-10, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt@usa.
There are only two reasons that these bikes are valued at what they are... 1 is that they are masterfully built and, 2 is that they are scarce... 2 being the operative reason. Only 135 or so were made.
The biggest reason that they are valued is that there were two speculators who were sitting on a few of these bikes when bicycle trading on the internet was in its infancy and they talked them up and talked them up and a couple people fell for the hype and paid high prices for them and the legend was created.
Old 09-07-10, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
The biggest reason that they are valued is that there were two speculators who were sitting on a few of these bikes when bicycle trading on the internet was in its infancy and they talked them up and talked them up and a couple people fell for the hype and paid high prices for them and the legend was created.
That would not hurt, I was not aware of that. The prices have held up pretty well, 7, 8+, 9k the last transactions I am aware of, then there's the fellow who offered one on ebay at a stiff 13K and withdrew it fearing someone would place a bid. Overrated? An argument can be made. The problem is when there is a finite number, continued publicity coupled with the stir at the introduction at the New York Show in their time, they become significant for that point in time. Mario's solid pricing whether by his plan or not, left a number of other American builders rethinking the whole value equation. Probably for the better of a few of them ready to step up the game and charge for it.
Old 03-19-12, 04:13 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
This thread won't make 3 pages...
*bump*
Old 03-19-12, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_B
I'll bump this. Just so I can see those ghastly coats again. Ye gods.
Old 03-19-12, 06:38 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_B
Could those be Mario's mother, wife and sisters??
I can't figure out any other reason why they would pose in front of that bike.....

Chombi
Old 03-19-12, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
I can't figure out any other reason why they would pose in front of that bike.....

Chombi
For some engaging reading and pics on this topic of Mario Confente, may I suggest Italian Cycling Journal.

https://italiancyclingjournal.blogspo...in-verona.html

https://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.com/

Go get yourself something cool to drink, Google "Confente" into the site's search engine, and enjoy.

I am learning so much about the builder from these recent posts and Italian Cycling Journal.

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-19-12, 07:43 PM

Chombi
No widow in the picture, Mario's wife was an American.
This is an image after they received a bike they won in an ebay auction. They did not have any examples of his work. They paid the market price at the time.
Old 03-19-12, 10:01 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
That might have benn me...not sure ... i didnt withdraw the bike....e bay kicked me off ... still dont know the reason....mystery to me
Originally Posted by repechage
That would not hurt, I was not aware of that. The prices have held up pretty well, 7, 8+, 9k the last transactions I am aware of, then there's the fellow who offered one on ebay at a stiff 13K and withdrew it fearing someone would place a bid. Overrated? An argument can be made. The problem is when there is a finite number, continued publicity coupled with the stir at the introduction at the New York Show in their time, they become significant for that point in time. Mario's solid pricing whether by his plan or not, left a number of other American builders rethinking the whole value equation. Probably for the better of a few of them ready to step up the game and charge for it.
Old 03-19-12, 10:04 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
wazza matter with mario....his first bikes should have been made for each of his family members...the italian way...sad they had to pay big bucks for one. when i put mine up for sale someone...dont know who sent me an email saying that the sisters wanted one of his bikes but didnt have alot of money to buy one. they wanted mine but i paid big bucks for it and just couldnt to lose that much at that time ... by the way..that picture is really great. love the women in it .. they are so cute. im really happy they got one of the bikes.

Chombi
Old 03-19-12, 10:20 PM
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
I left all mine at my folks' place, so no photos for now...