Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Continental

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Schwinn Continental

Old 09-07-10, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Continental

I bought this used, its either early 1980s or late 1970s I'm assuming. It may have had the original tires. >.<'

I got a flat. It says on the tire, "27 x 1 1/4 to fit Schwinn S-6 or K-2 tubular rim".

My LBS is trying to charge me $60 to replace the tires and rims which isn't bad but I'm seeing online that tires are $15 and the tubes are $4. I'll learn more if I do it myself.

Where's the best place to go from here? I've read not to over inflace low psi rims, etc. If the rim doesn't have some hoop lip. I dunno. I'm trying.
Old 09-07-10, 02:35 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
First off I suspect you're mistaken about changing the tireS and rimS for a measely $60. You'd be lucky to find this work and tire being supplied for $60 a wheel. So I think you are either saying ONE tire and ONE rim replacement or TWO tires and TWO tubes plus mounting. Or perhaps it was the RIM TAPES that guard the tube from being punctured by the ends of the spokes and nipples that he wants to replace.

If they are all cracked and split then I'm pretty sure he's wanting to replace both tires and tubes for you. It would certainly be what I would suggest. If so then $60 for two tires, two tubes, two new rim tapes and the time to mount them up is quite reasonable. After all you're looking at $38 plus shipping for a pair of each. By the time the dust settles I'm sure it'll be up to around $50. So if you want to learn how then fine. If not pay the poor guy his $10 to $15 labour for the job he's doing.

Some bike wheel sizes were oddball as well. You'd want to check the Sheldon Brown website for all the different rims that were called "27" since not all of them are compatible. If this is one such rim then be sure you're getting the correct tire.
Old 09-07-10, 03:42 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
If you're in the USA, and the only problem is a flat, there's absolutely no reason to replace the wheel or rim, or spend that much. 27x1-1/4 tires are common and Schwinn used the same 27x1-1/4 75-95psi tire as everyone else did at the time. If you're replacing both tires and tubes it may not be out of line, being only $11.00 labor per wheel (off your tire & tube quote), but that brings up the second issue.

Unless tires and tubes are absolutely the only work this bike needs, you're setting yourself up to be in too deep and having to keep spending more than the final result is worth.

Schwinn Continentals were considered dogs in their day, weighing a ton, and not having anything great by way of components. I don't think it makes sense to sink $60.00 into one, but that's your call. Before doing so, you should at least make sure that everything else is in working condition, and see what's out there as an alternative. A more modern used bike will cost more than that, but you'll get something worth owning that's light years ahead of your Conti with new tires.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-07-10 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-07-10, 03:48 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I can see a shop doing the work for $60 complete, and that is very fair. You can't really take online prices to make assumptions about bike shop prices. Your shop cannot buy 1000's of tires at a time from a distributor or even manufacturer like Bike Nashbar can, you don't have to wait for the tires, ship them back if they are defective, or pay shipping to get them to you. I would confirm that the Schwinn tire is a standard 27x1 1/4, but would not recommend inflating beyond 70-80 lbs no matter what the tire rating.
Old 09-07-10, 10:50 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Cerveau
Where's the best place to go from here?
First off: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ease-READ-THIS

You're getting answers that are all over the place because what you are saying is very confusing. Ask a coherent question and you'll get better quality answers.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 09-08-10, 07:31 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Need a clear question.

+1 No way you are going to get tires, tubes and rims installed for $60 at a bike shop, or off the internet either. If it is just tires and tubes (which is what I suspect), that price is not too bad. If I owned a shop, I would charge you more than that.

+1 Not fair to compare a local shop to internet prices. If you want internet prices, buy on the internet. But if you do, you really need to know EXACTLY what you want, as there is going to be no service or help. Note, I buy all of my parts off the internet, as the price savings are compelling. But I also do all of my service work myself. I would not expect a local shop to install my internet tires and tubes. As far as internet pricing, I just mounted a set of $5 tires and $2 tubes on a vintage Schwinn Continental.... $15 and $4 is high.

Search is your friend. Where to find tires cheap, how to install them, types of rims, etc., are covered just about weekly.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-08-10 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-08-10, 01:36 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
++ Agree with above as far as pricing - I somehow missed the word RIMS in your post. I would not even consider putting new wheels (rim, spoke, hub assembled) on a Schwinn Continental. You are dealing with a very heavy (37 lbs or so as I recall) very poorly performing bike, and once you replace the wheels there's not even the "vintage cachet."

++ On researching 1st and being more clear. Those of us who work hard to provide good answers need those asking to work just as hard before they ask.
Old 09-08-10, 06:23 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy on the new guy! First and foremost, you probably have old heavy steel rims. They Sony brake well in the rain but if your looking to ride leisurely they should suffice. Second yes, you want 27 x 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 not 27 x 1.25 or 1.5 yrs there is a.difference. finally, you should be easily able to find a plain gumwall Cheng shin tire online for under 10 bucks each and tubes for under 5 bucks. Mounting a tire is.pretty easy so you could easily save yourself 30 bucks.

Since you seem a bit unsure I would advise going.to the bike shop for it.this time but asking them to let you sit in on it and show you how its done for future reference.
Old 09-13-10, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I should've been more clear on how little I know about this bike and bikes in general. Some of these responses made me lol. Why are you going to respond if you're just going to complain about the quality of my post and sound pissed off?

The internet is serious business.

My reasoning for comparing the prices was I'm seeing tubes for $4 and tires for $15 to $20. One of the reasons I got the bike was it was inexpensive and it would save me some money on commuting. I'd rather save a couple of bucks and learn something.

That being said, I simply need a direction. I'm going to do it myself, I'm going to order online. I will probably **** up. If you <i>had</i> any advice, this is where it could've gone but you guys seem lost in details.

Thanks for the "sort of" help on how to post, not so much on what I really need help with.

Everyone except the last guy came off as toolbags, I just thought you should know.