Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Phone Protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phone Protection

So, having recently purchased a smart phone (LG Ally), I was wondering what the best method of riding and keeping the phone safe would be. On my commute rides, the ol' backpack works fine, but on road rides, is the Ziploc bag trick still sufficient, or would it create too much humidity within my jersey pocket?
Old 09-09-10, 04:59 AM

Bikes: '06 Trek 1000, '09 Gary Fisher Supercaliber, '10 Trek XO2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does your phone sweat? A lot of guys use the bag to keep the moisture out. If your looking for something specific, I believe there are some phone spefific bags that attach to your frame.
Old 09-09-10, 05:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't tell if it sweats or not. Had it in a Ziploc yesterday in my middle jersey pocket and it seemed to work fine. Just worried about the long-term effects of such. Maybe it would be a good idea to contact LG about said phone if no one else has an opinion one way or the other.
Old 09-09-10, 05:35 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
case logic makes many sturdy cases that fit well in jersey pockets.. I have an HTC evo and found an older neoprene case in my tool box that was used previously for a sony walkman many years ago and fits the evo perfectly.. Gives it just a little more protection, just in case..

https://www.caselogic.com/search/inde...=4011+20041616
Old 09-09-10, 06:26 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Uh, am I missing something? If you put the phone in a ziplock, what difference does it make how humid it is in the pocket? You should be able to put the thing in a bucket of water overnight. The bag is waterproof.
Old 09-11-10, 07:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with my Blackberry in a Ziploc in the center jersey pocket with zero ill effects. Phone is almost 2 years old now, and while I'm not the most active cyclist, I have put about 2k miles a year on the bike with the Blackberry. Worst problem was when I crashed at ~18mph and put a small ding in the case (the road rash was a much bigger problem).

If you are looking for a VERY "bomb-proof" case, check out OtterBox brand cases. I work in construction, and I've seen an iPhone dropped off a 3rd floor roof, bounce across the concrete sidewalk, and land in the gutter with running water. Took a minute or two to retrieve the phone, and it was still in perfect working order. Those OtterBox cases are dang near indestructible.
Old 09-11-10, 11:33 AM

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just slip my Samsung Exclaim in my jersey pocket. If it's raining I'll put it in a ziploc bag.
Old 09-11-10, 12:36 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
While you're at it, stock up on the cheapest Bluetooth headsets you can find; with some of them around $5 each online, you can risk them in a rainstorm while the phone stays safe in a waterproof bag.
Old 09-12-10, 06:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for an Otterbox case. I have one for my Blackberry because I am always breaking things. I've dropped the phone several times and once accidently slung it across a parking lot and the phone still works perfectly. The Otterbox Defender is the one I chose. Oh, the bike part, I put the phone in a zip lock in my center rear pocket and it stays dry no matter how much I sweat or how much it rains.