Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aluminum frame dent

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Aluminum frame dent

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aluminum frame dent

Hi,

I've got a Fuji track pro with a 2" dent in the downtube a little above the BB welds. The bike rides fine without any noise but it looks like it's warping slightly (see pic) and I wanted to get a second opinion on whether it's safe to ride (or whether I should bring it into a mechanic for a real look )

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SDC10581 (Medium)..JPG (97.4 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by spindle23; 09-11-10 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-11-10, 03:16 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Odds are it'll crack eventually, but that could be a week, month, year or decade. Of the various places a frame could crack this is about the safest, so discounting the risk of having to walk or hitchhike home, it's probably OK to ride if it still tracks well.

BTW- keep an eye on it for any hint of crack formation, and when you see the beginnings of a crack, bench it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-11-10, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
You could wrap it in carbon fibre if you're so inclined. No worries then when the aluminum goes. It won't look pretty though, the CF I mean. I did it with a black bike and it's like a cast on the chainstay. I'm a big fella it's seen constant service since February of this year. I used a kit from ebay that was 25$, so it would be cheap peace of mind if you're so inclined, but I agree 100% with the assessment posted above as well, FWIW.
Old 09-11-10, 06:38 PM
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
You should prolly get this thread moved to Framebuilding.

I can't help wondering whether someone could repair that properly... stick it on an alignment jig, heat-treat it again, maybe even suck that dent out.