Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Parts

Old 09-12-10, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Parts

Hello there,

I'm having a custom frame built, and could use a little help from wiser heads with parts selection.

This is my first time logging into the site, though...is this the appropriate section to post this sort of thing in?

Many thanks.
Old 09-12-10, 11:20 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by E.Christophe
Hello there,

I'm having a custom frame built, and could use a little help from wiser heads with parts selection.

This is my first time logging into the site, though...is this the appropriate section to post this sort of thing in?

Many thanks.

Well than, let's get started.

For a front wheel I suggest a, ah, let's see now..........
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 09-12-10, 11:22 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
This or the Framebuilder's forum ought to be ok. But usually your builder can help you decide depending on what type of riding you intend to do with the frame.
Old 09-12-10, 11:27 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The purpose of this new bike will be ... ? racer-boy, mountain plummeting ,
trip around the world all different goals.
Old 09-12-10, 11:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent!

Glad I'm in the right place. Here's the details:

I'm having a custom Chris Kvale frame built. I've been a bit out of my depth with parts selection, and I'd love to get the input of wiser heads than mine regarding parts selection.

Here's what I'm having built: a road bike mainly intended for longer rides, but with braze-ons for fenders and racks to accommodate occasional very light touring.

Here's my preferences:
No carbon. It's not for me.
No black parts. It's silver all the way.

What I'm thinking so far is:
Campy 10s Athena drivetrain, clamp on front der. (framebuilder's preference)
Shimano med. reach brakes
Nitto stem
Nitto seatpost
Nitto Soba bars
Chris King GripNut headset

It's with wheels that I could especially use some help. I find the only Campy hubs available at the moment really ugly. Can anyone suggest Campy 10s compatible hubs by another manufacturer?

Thoughts and suggestions very much appreciated!

Many thanks.
Old 09-12-10, 12:13 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by E.Christophe
It's with wheels that I could especially use some help. I find the only Campy hubs available at the moment really ugly. Can anyone suggest Campy 10s compatible hubs by another manufacturer?
Why not use older Campagnolo hubs?

NOS over-sized axle hubs are available if you look around.

Record/Chorus/Centaur/Daytona are all the same except the higher gruppos get a few grams shaved off the free-hub, Record gets grease ports and quick releases with a sexy cut-out, and the gruppo name stamped on the right dust cover + left adjusting nut can be different. Centaur hubs came both in grey and classic Campy silver.

Peter White lists them on his web-site.

10mm axle hubs look even sexier but are heavier (if that's you're thing) and harder to find (only made for 97 Record/Chorus-98-99 unless you can find a 9/10/11s standard axle freehub to retrofit to an 8s vintage hub)
Old 10-07-10, 01:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions, Drew. It was especially helpful to be reminded of Peter White's site, which I've liked in the past but had completely forgotten about. At the moment, I'm thinking I'll probably go with White Industries hubs, although I have still been poking around for NOS Campy hubs, in a lackadaisical way.

Here's another question - any medium reach brakes that you'd recommend? I'd ideally like to be able to run up to 700x28s and fenders...

Thanks again!
Old 10-07-10, 04:52 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
These days Athena is 11-speed.