Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Training & Nutrition

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Training & Nutrition

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 05:41 AM

Bikes: cannondale Badboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training & Nutrition

I do a really rigorous regime of cycling on my Cannondale everyday. So is it ok if I eat anything I want? Will I still lose weight? I mean whatever junk I知 eating I知 burning off with the cycling right?
Old 09-13-10, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No. Maybe. Maybe.
More likely no to all accounts IMHO.
Old 09-13-10, 06:27 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Maybe ... and I'd lean toward yes, BUT you'd have to exercise A LOT. An hour a day, for example, wouldn't likely do it. Two hours a day might even be too little depending on how many calories you are consuming.
Old 09-13-10, 07:12 AM

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
I do a really rigorous regime of cycling on my Cannondale everyday. So is it ok if I eat anything I want?
Actually no, most health professionals try to impress upon "average" healthy people that they can still develop heart disease or diabetes - even if they exercise. But I figure you already knew that or you wouldn't have asked, so what's the point of this thread?
Old 09-13-10, 07:42 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can't ride 45 min and then eat a dozen donuts? My dreams are crushed.
Old 09-13-10, 10:58 AM
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
You can't ride 45 min and then eat a dozen donuts? My dreams are crushed.
You can, as long as you don't mind getting fat.
Old 09-14-10, 01:40 AM
Insane cycling cook

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I changed donuts for Sushi as my after ride snack
Old 09-14-10, 10:24 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No matter how much you exercise, you can still sabotage it with eating. The thing is that you have to ride a pile of miles (70-100) to burn enough energy to lose a pound of fat. It does not take that long to eat enough to gain a pound of fat. Just go to any fast food place and eat their biggest sandwich, fries, drink and then go out and top it off with a big old sundae.

Also, exercise will not protect you from heart disease if you indulge in a poor diet.
Old 09-14-10, 04:15 PM
Insane cycling cook

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
No matter how much you exercise, you can still sabotage it with eating. The thing is that you have to ride a pile of miles (70-100) to burn enough energy to lose a pound of fat. It does not take that long to eat enough to gain a pound of fat. Just go to any fast food place and eat their biggest sandwich, fries, drink and then go out and top it off with a big old sundae.

Also, exercise will not protect you from heart disease if you indulge in a poor diet.
Yup, I'm rebounding from this kind of thing myself. Even though my weight never got to crazy my BP and other intarnals where crashing FAST. I cut out the soda and processd foods all together along with the riding and I'm getting back to healthy
Old 09-14-10, 04:18 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gautamrules
I do a really rigorous regime of cycling on my Cannondale everyday. So is it ok if I eat anything I want? Will I still lose weight? I mean whatever junk I’m eating I’m burning off with the cycling right?
Depends on how what the "rigorous regime" is, and how much "anything you want" is. Probably not though.
Old 09-17-10, 08:54 AM

Bikes: 2011 Scott CR1 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gautamrules
I do a really rigorous regime of cycling on my Cannondale everyday. So is it ok if I eat anything I want? Will I still lose weight? I mean whatever junk I’m eating I’m burning off with the cycling right?
It's a simple matter of math. If you burn more than you take in you will lose weight. However like all math you must have values to make calculations. Just generalizing/theorizing means nothing. If really interested (and everyone should be) you need to carefully track all caloric intake, all calories burned in workouts and weight/body mass. With these few figures you can keep weight and fitness/health all in balance.
Old 09-17-10, 10:23 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you burn more than you take in you will lose weight. However like all you must have values to make calculations. If really interested and everyone should be you need to carefully track all caloric intake, all calories burned in workouts and weight/body mass.
Old 09-18-10, 06:50 AM

Bikes: Klein Reve V, Trek 7700fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The general rule is that you can't out train a bad diet.
Old 09-19-10, 09:03 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Julien321
It's a simple matter of math. If you burn more than you take in you will lose weight. However like all math you must have values to make calculations. Just generalizing/theorizing means nothing. If really interested (and everyone should be) you need to carefully track all caloric intake, all calories burned in workouts and weight/body mass. With these few figures you can keep weight and fitness/health all in balance.
There is a problem with this. One can measure calories consumed pretty easily. It is just a matter of weighing the food taken in and knowing the calorie content which is generally available for dern near everything.

But calories burned is usually a matter of estimation. I am not horribly confident on those numbers. I have seen the same exercise vary by 100% from different sources. Measuring calories burned is not really feasible. About the best measure is CO2 production and even that is not exact because calories burned varies some by the fuel burned (fat, carbohydrates or proteins). There generally is no good way of knowing just what the body is burning. Also, outside of a laboratory setting, I have never ever seen anyone measure C02 production.

Even using the "math", one side of the equation is by guess and by gosh.
Old 09-19-10, 09:10 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
But calories burned is usually a matter of estimation. I am not horribly confident on those numbers. I have seen the same exercise vary by 100% from different sources. Measuring calories burned is not really feasible. About the best measure is CO2 production and even that is not exact because calories burned varies some by the fuel burned (fat, carbohydrates or proteins).
You don't just measure CO2 production, you measure oxygen intake, oxygen expelled, and CO2 production. My measuring the amount of oxygen actually consumed and the CO2 produced, you can determine the ratio of fats and carbohydrates.

Last edited by umd; 09-19-10 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-19-10, 10:42 AM

Bikes: 2011 Scott CR1 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
...But calories burned is usually a matter of estimation....
Even using the "math", one side of the equation is by guess and by gosh.
Not really since the OP is not asking specifically about how many calores are burned in the workout but about losing fat (losing weight like everyone says is the WRONG phrase). Monotering your weight/body fat will tell you over time if you are burring more/less or about the same number calories taken in.
Old 09-19-10, 11:16 AM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Either you simply cut the caloric diet by x, or you drop half those calories eaten from diet x and exercise to burn the other half of the calories from x.

With the latter you can still eat, but you can never eat like with the diet that helped you gain weight.