Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What headset do I have?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What headset do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 05:17 PM
Come on, 5 more minutes..

Bikes: At last count... 31. 11-19-22.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
What headset do I have?

Hey all. Got 2 headset ques.

1- Hope someone can enlighten me about which headset I have. My research turned up, I have a: 1" integrated IS standard headset. Am I reading this correct? I used the CaneCreek headset finder online.

(Bike is a 04 or 05, can't remember exactly... Felt F65. Totally stock.)

2- What tools will I need to purchase to properly remove the old and install the new? Chris King.com preaches reaming the faces. Is that overkill?

I appreciate the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1605..jpg (96.0 KB, 16 views)
IMG_1607..jpg (92.0 KB, 10 views)
IMG_1606..jpg (91.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-13-10, 05:31 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I don't think it is a an integrated HS, just a regular threadless type. you need a crown race remover, a cup remover, crown race installer or slide hammer, and a headset press. alot of these tools can be homemade.

why do you want to replace the HS? unless the races are pitted or dimpled there is little reason to replace it. any benifit from upgrading is offset by the work involved in replacing it.

I would not ream the faces but I would use a facing tool. a facing tool will ensure the top and bottom of the headtube are parrelell to each other. when I was in the shop I always did this on frame up builds (on steel or Alloy) and on upperend bikes when replacing a HS.

it looks like you may have a gap between your frame and upper cup. perhaps it is just the way the cup is shaped.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-13-10, 05:38 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Definitely not integrated. An integrated headset sytems means part of the headset (the two parts where the bearings are inserted, the cups) are integrated with the head tube. Cartridge bearings are inserted directly into the specially-machined head tube.

Regarding whether it is 1" or 1 1/8", you can measure it yourself. Remove the top cap and measure how wide the steerer tube is.

What is the reason you are replacing the headset? This is not usually the first upgrade made on a bike, as it makes so little difference. If the bearings are already cartridge, I'd be satisfied.

If you want to replace it, you should be able to use a standard headset in the appropriate size (1" vs. 1 1/8").
Old 09-13-10, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's just a standard threadless as she said. You'll have to measure it to figure out the exact size - either 1" or 1-1/8"

An IS headset has no cups on the outside of the headtube and all bearings sit internally. The only external part is the cap. Check out a CAAD9 if you want to see for yourself.
Old 09-13-10, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is too much of the headset visible for it to be integrated or semi-integrated. Bikepedia claims that you have a 1 1/8" threadless headset and your photos support that. The headset finder isn't that practical because it requires you to measure areas that are inaccessible with an installed headset.
Old 09-13-10, 05:49 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
And, [clue#2] there is nothing but a line separating fork and frame on bikes with integrated headsets.. Got one on one of my bikes.
Old 09-13-10, 06:04 PM
Come on, 5 more minutes..

Bikes: At last count... 31. 11-19-22.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Ok. The consensus seems unanimous! Thanks. I'll hunt down the correct headset.

And yes, the headset is junk. Major indexing. I can hang it on my stand and the bars center themselves with an audible click. Bet I find a pretty healthy dimple on one or both of the races. (side question: Can I just rotate the bearings and/or race? Will that stop the indexing?)

A few posters have shown pics of their homemade headset presses.. so that seems like @ least 1 tool I can fab pretty cheaply.

Do any of you really do the reaming / facing?
Old 09-13-10, 06:31 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
no a reaming/facing tool is totally different.
I assume you have tried to adjust your headset? you can try and rotate your upper and lower cups 90' in oppesite directions and the crown race 180'. however if your going through that trouble you may as well replace it.

if you have never replaced a HS before you may be better off just taking it to the shop.

this is a reamer/facer

this is a headset press

here are more headset tools than you could ever want

https://www.ebikestop.com/component_s...ltManufact=588

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-13-10, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I have used a home made rig for installing cups consisting of a 2'-0 length of 3/4" threaded rod with two sets of nuts and washers. Some people have taken it a step further and buy bushings that match their cup profile, but I haven't had a problem going without. I now have crown race installer, but I have successfully installed them buy sliding the steerer with the race in place down an old frame's seat tube and using that as an anvil. I have also used dremel to carefully grind away enough of a race to be able to pry it off, but I take no responsibility if you f*** that one up. And for cup removal I also grabed a cheap tool on eBay consisting of a split pipe that has been flared out. You push it backwards through the cup you want to remove until the flares snap inside and then use a mallet to tap the cup back out. Before I had that using a long heavy screwdriver and a hammer to tap it out works, but again you want to go slow and really, really careful.
Old 09-13-10, 08:57 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the headset? Might be irreparable now, but the headset bearings might be pre-loaded too tightly.