Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Sora Flight Deck Shifters -- Left side does not work

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought some Shimano Sora Flight Deck Shifters last week from a friend. These are the ones that have the thumb shifters.

I have not built up my road bike yet, so I thought I'd just mount these shifters on the set of bars that I'm going to use.

I was playing with the left shifter, and suddenly, I lose all "tension". This means that both the upshift and downshift shifters did not click at all. They still spring back to their resting position, but compared to the working right shifter, I do not get any clicks.

I removed the top cap to check out the internals, but no luck. However, once or twice, it would work again. However, when I shifted down or up, it would not work again.

Here's a video. Listen carefully for the clicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kxxoJp3aXs

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-13-10, 09:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update:

I thought I had fixed it, but after about 3-4 shift cycles (upshifts/down), it wouldn't function again.

It definitely has something to do with the spring on top, and the rectangular block (see pics). If I position it a certain way and move the shifters, I can feel and even HEAR it engage! Anyone have any knowledge on it.?

Old 09-13-10, 09:39 PM
Desert Flatlander

Bikes: 2001 Trek Alpha 1000, Micargi Tahiti NX3 'The Iron Horse', and many other cheap resale and family bikes.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out these: https://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs...&bmUID=iHVsUnY

They made it they probably know why it's not working. They usually have troubleshooting flowcharts too. I hope that you get yours working I have always liked mine.

I've always wondered why these are called 'flight deck' when they don't include the computer. I used to think that they carried the 'flight deck' name because they had the shifters and brake levers together. Then one day I found out that there was a cyclocomputer offered with some of these sets. I would like to know more about this if someone is in the know.
Old 09-14-10, 12:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Black Sunshine!

Unfortunately, I did not see any troubleshoot links (only assembly and instructions).

It almost seems like the spring pictured above is not in place correctly. I checked the other side, and the spring is sitting straight.
Old 09-14-10, 10:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've uploaded another video. In this video, you can see that when I "reset" the spring with my finger, it operates perfectly. However, as you can also see, it only works for one shift cycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI7hP7Lg3BI
Old 09-30-11, 01:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you ever fix this problem? I am having the same issue on a new bike I just got.