Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Tokyo rides

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 11:49 PM

Bikes: none yet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tokyo rides

Hey guys,

Any tips on nice places to ride in Toyko? I took the bike out the other day with the express intent of kicking my own ass, but the cars, stoplights, etc made it a bit hard.

I'm in Meguro; I ride up to komazawakoen every now and again but it's a short ride and there's a lot of pedestrians.

Any hints from tokyo residents here? Happy to ride out a ways if it means I can mash once I get there.
Old 09-15-10, 08:14 PM
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meguro, right?

You can go west to Nikotama on Kamazawa or Meguro Doori. Those streets aren't very nice, but I've seen worse. The neighborhood of Gakugei-Daigaku (Highshool area) is OK. You wanna stay away from Kan-Nana or Kan-Pachi, but they let you move about without getting lost. I prefer Yamanote and Meiji Doori because I am located farther east to you. (Those kinda stink too)

Be prepared to MASH pedestrian paths. Cops won't stop you if you ride respectably safe, i.e. not hitting pedestrians, not going full-speed. If that don't work, you can take up the road like any vehicle. Drivers are nice and they almost always "reluctantly" give you space. I usually get out of the way for em as soon as I am out of the jam. I feel bad for those people who's just trying to get through the day. (That also means, I always yield to messengers. But then you'll never seem em outside of the financial districts like Ootemachi. So that's not much of trouble anyway.)

Last edited by Tomo_Ishi; 09-15-10 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 06:45 AM
mxs

Bikes: Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are several longer rides that I have done/liked so far
-Anywhere along the Tama river, though I probably would not attempt it on a weekend due to pedestrian traffic.
-There is a bicycle path that starts at the end of Inokashira Dori (just north of Musashi-Sakai station) that leads to a large water reservoir with a nice looped bicycle path around it north of Tachikawa
-Take Route 1/Tokaido south so as far as you like (Chigasaki/Odawara/Hakone)

As far as riding around the city I do not really find other motorists too much of hassle except for on those rare occasions of crazy taxi cab drivers/people on scooters riding too close to the shoulder/people on mama-chari's riding against traffic.
Old 09-16-10, 07:20 AM
Radac!

Bikes: Visp with way better parts than a frame,2010 fuji track pro, motobecane phantom cross outlaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anywhere i can. i normally drove to meguro (new sanno), then rode down to shibuya/shinjuku/harajuku
screw sidewalks, traffic splitting is shte fastest way around there.
Old 09-16-10, 08:02 AM
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, Inokashira-doori is a pretty cool idea. Thanks, MXS. I had a need for a route either from or to Tachikawa area. ... But that street got two parks and go down north to meet the Tama-river. I am gonna do that when it dries up.
Old 09-16-10, 05:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heres a few tokyo bike vids for ya
https://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ike+rides&aq=f
Old 09-20-10, 05:12 AM

Bikes: none yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cruised up to Shimokitazawa this weekend, then out to the tama river. Took a right this time. It gets really nice out there, I wished I had been towing a barbecue or something!