Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Best light in the 200 dollar range?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Best light in the 200 dollar range?

Old 09-19-10, 05:53 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for the Cygolite Mintycross 350,

I have been using it for about two weeks so far...

It comes with a bike and helmet mount.
Is very small. Uses a rechargable LiIon battery (charger included)
Has a long operating life.
Is weatherproof (I doubt any light is waterproof, submersible)
And is plenty bright enough for even unlit trails at reasonable speeds.

Paid $175 from amazon with free shipping.
Old 09-19-10, 06:15 PM

Bikes: "10" Trek 7.3, early 90's Raliegh Dash, late 80's Takara 12spd Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatSix911
The MagicShine is a good deal at the listed price of $29.99
However, I made a best offer of $21.00 and got a Great deal!
Try it for yourself ... I have no affliation with the seller ...

Is that the light they sent you?
Old 09-19-10, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
I vote for the Cygolite Mintycross 350,
Paid $175 from amazon with free shipping.
Why would you pay $150 more for a lesser light with 1/3 of the lumens?
Old 09-19-10, 07:58 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would you pay $150 more for a lesser light with 1/3 of the lumens?
What light sells for $25 and has more than 350 lumens?
Old 09-19-10, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
What light sells for $25 and has more than 350 lumens?
Have you been reading this thread ? ...

Originally Posted by Ziemas
For the cheapskates in the house willing to take a gamble, here's a MagicShine for $34.50 shipped from within the US from an ebayer with good feedback.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 09-19-10, 08:37 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
For 25.00, this is the best light you can buy, of course it is a flashlight using 18650 cells but is a great light. It has adjustable beam from super wide flood to tight spot.. A little on the heavy side a helmet light and rated at 200+ lumens which I say is accurate.. The flashing mode is nice right at 120 pulses per minute, not the seizure inducing speed of the fenix lights..

https://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...8-II-Q5/Detail
Old 09-19-10, 08:41 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Originally Posted by Dodgensince74
Is that the light they sent you?
sent the seller a couple of messages and they responded very quickly both times.. He says they ship from usa and " The mfg we work with received a bulk order and instructed us to list them at what they cost"

Not sure but I will buy one just for the extra parts if my original goes south.. Can't beat it for 30.00..

the seller also has the 5 mode and the newer model listed, so not sure what is up..

https://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/...=p3286.c0.m282
Old 09-20-10, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought the updated version for my wife. For less than $50 shipped to me in Latvia it's worth the gamble. In an absolutely worse case scenario I'm out $50. But it was through ebay and Paypal, so I might have some recourse with them if things go pear shaped.
Old 09-20-10, 02:54 AM

I see that the seller mostly sells dvds and has only been selling for a few months.. I just hope he didn't fall for one of those drop ship scams.. As someone who sells quite a bit on ebay, I get them everyday and they sound legit but are a total scam for the seller..
Old 09-20-10, 05:30 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I
Originally Posted by socalrider
I see that the seller mostly sells dvds and has only been selling for a few months.. I just hope he didn't fall for one of those drop ship scams.. As someone who sells quite a bit on ebay, I get them everyday and they sound legit but are a total scam for the seller..
How do they work?
Old 09-20-10, 01:48 PM

Bikes: Steyr Waffenrad (My personal favorite), Batavus Sport, Raleigh sport, Miyata 1000, old school Giant hybrid, several vintage transient projects, and a Raleigh Mixte for my FWB's. ;^)

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The ebay seller mentioned offers the new MJ-836, 3rd generation, for $39.95 and they claim it's new and unopened. They accepted my offer of $29.95 so with shipping from MN it will cost me $39.50 Considering PayPal's and ebay's buyer protection, ( which I have used to my satisfaction) I have no fear of being bamboozled. It will be interesting to see what, and when it shows up.

At 60% off DX's price it should prove to be a learning experience at the least. I will keep you informed.
Old 09-20-10, 02:20 PM

I will wait and see if buyers get what they paid for before buying one..

Sellers get emails everyday from people who have bought huge quantities of XYZ, usually electronics.. They give the seller all the details of what they are selling and the seller lists them with a promise of a cut after purchase.. Once the sale is complete you pay the legit seller via paypal.. He then forwards your info to the person who has the product, this person provides a tracking # as proof it was sent.. Once tracking is provided, the legit seller is supposed to forward funds minus a cut, which can be 30-50% to the person who alledgedly has the product..

The problems arise when no product is actually sent or when people get boxes with nothing in them. You file a paypal complaint and get your money back but the legit seller is out 100% of the money + the money he forwarded to the not so legit seller..

Since I am a powerseller, I get 5-10 of these offers everyday..It seems that the newer sellers in hope of quick easy money fall for them..

I am hoping this is not the case.. If he is actually able to sell real MS unit for a 50-60% discount, not sure how he is doing it considering alibaba trading where many of these units are purchased, it is under cost..
Old 09-20-10, 04:02 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you been reading this thread ? ...
Yes, I did. Your link has a price of about $40 not $25 and that is from an unknown ebay seller not a retail facility...

Frankly, even if it was a normal retail facility and provided some kind of believable warranty, I wouldn't consider it. What I have provides more than enough light, works well, is designed well and wasn't produced by slave labor in a country that doesn't respect intellectual property. Further my experience with chinese made cheap products is that they are often worth less than you pay for in terms of hassle, performance and reliability...
Old 09-20-10, 04:53 PM

The cygolite while designed by engineers here in the USA is most likely made in China, just like the MS lights..
Old 09-20-10, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Steyr Waffenrad (My personal favorite), Batavus Sport, Raleigh sport, Miyata 1000, old school Giant hybrid, several vintage transient projects, and a Raleigh Mixte for my FWB's. ;^)

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, I did. Your link has a price of about $40 not $25 and that is from an unknown ebay seller not a retail facility...

Frankly, even if it was a normal retail facility and provided some kind of believable warranty, I wouldn't consider it. What I have provides more than enough light, works well, is designed well and wasn't produced by slave labor in a country that doesn't respect intellectual property. Further my experience with chinese made cheap products is that they are often worth less than you pay for in terms of hassle, performance and reliability...

It's comforting to know that at least one person rides a American made bike, Made with American labor from American tubing, that rides on American made tires, and has all American components, and I would love to know what kind of saddle you have that's made from American cows. Please enlighten me.
Old 09-20-10, 05:54 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by socalrider
The cygolite while designed by engineers here in the USA is most likely made in China, just like the MS lights..
Actually, according to REI, Cygolite stuff is made in the USA. It's a sure bet that every component in it is made in China though. The emitter certainly is, AFAIK the only semiconductor fabs left in the US are building high volume microcontrollers, and that was a few years ago. Dinotte is made in the USA too.

The pricing doesn't actually seem to have much to do with the amount paid to the labor though. It seems to have to do with corporate markup. Part of the reason that Magicshine is so cheap is that they're going through very little markup. If it were a name brand with advertising and going through retail, it'd probably be $199 instead of $80, and that's with not a penny more being paid to the people making it. Retail channels double the price right off the bat, and there's usually distribution adding 20% or so.

I think that the only bike frames built in the US anymore are custom frames. Even Rivendell outsources their non-custom (Atlantis) frames, and Canondale gave up the fight a few years ago.
Old 09-20-10, 06:03 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phering
It's comforting to know that at least one person rides a American made bike, Made with American labor from American tubing, that rides on American made tires, and has all American components, and I would love to know what kind of saddle you have that's made from American cows. Please enlighten me.
Ah sarcasm! Something I've come to expect from children.

Where did I say I wanted "Made in the USA"? Though admittedly there are benefits to supporting domestic manufacturers. I simply prefer well made products; which can come from china, but are not usually priced so inexpensively.

I prefer to buy something that I can expect a reasonable lifespan from companies that respect intellectual property, provide good customer support and make well designed products. YMMV.
Old 09-20-10, 07:06 PM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Where did I say I wanted "Made in the USA"? Though admittedly there are benefits to supporting domestic manufacturers. I simply prefer well made products; which can come from china, but are not usually priced so inexpensively.

I prefer to buy something that I can expect a reasonable lifespan from companies that respect intellectual property, provide good customer support and make well designed products. YMMV.

Tsk,tsk,
You found yourself in a clearly indefensible position, and you have to resort to name calling? Who's being childish here? All you left out was the naner, naner, boo, boo. Perhaps you feel threatened when someone doesn't unquestionably accept your font of wisdom as gospel.

This Thread is titled "Best light in the $200.00 range". NOT myrriden's personal soapbox' and has absolutely nothing to do with your opinion of third world labor practices or your disdain from buying from "normal retail facility's"
I'm certain your LBS is thrilled when you decide to enter their " normal retail facility."

In case you need to have the topic of the thread clearly explained to you,
I will type slowly.... it is: What is the forums opinion of $200.00 lighting systems and their performance relative to the price point?

A MJ-836 delivered to my door for forty bucks? Whats wrong with that?
The seller in MN, USA made a profit, I've supported our USPS and made what many would consider a wise buying decision.

Simply Google, Magicshine.You might be surprised just how many people own them, are satisfied with their purchase, don't consider them "cheap Chinese junk"and still have money left over to shop at all the local retail facility's that are the basis of the American economy.

Just Sayin.
Old 09-20-10, 07:22 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phering
Tsk,tsk,
You found yourself in a clearly indefensible position, and you have to resort to name calling? Who's being childish here? All you left out was the naner, naner, boo, boo. Perhaps you feel threatened when someone doesn't unquestionably accept your font of wisdom as gospel.

This Thread is titled "Best light in the $200.00 range". NOT myrriden's personal soapbox' and has absolutely nothing to do with your opinion of third world labor practices or your disdain from buying from "normal retail facility's"
I'm certain your LBS is thrilled when you decide to enter their " normal retail facility."

In case you need to have the topic of the thread clearly explained to you,
I will type slowly.... it is: What is the forums opinion of $200.00 lighting systems and their performance relative to the price point?

A MJ-836 delivered to my door for forty bucks? Whats wrong with that?
The seller in MN, USA made a profit, I've supported our USPS and made what many would consider a wise buying decision.

Simply Google, Magicshine.You might be surprised just how many people own them, are satisfied with their purchase, don't consider them "cheap Chinese junk"and still have money left over to shop at all the local retail facility's that are the basis of the American economy.

Just Sayin.
From child to whiner with a persecution complex.

I stated my opinion about the cygolite and gave the relevant information. You chose to make false statements (magicshine for $25) buy US crap statements and on.

Yes by all means google a MagicShine and see how many complaints also arise. But, its ok I only spent $X If your happy with a $40 MJ whatever, then fine. Not everyone agrees with you, I'VE explained my reasoning, though I knew it was unlikely to be received in a adult manner.

I have hopes that you'll mature some day. Best of luck with that.
Old 09-20-10, 09:57 PM

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the CREE and SXO versions of these lights in below auction besides a different color box?

https://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/...0.m282&afsrc=1
Old 09-20-10, 10:56 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Then Lupine is the light maker for you! No whining about the price.
Old 09-20-10, 10:59 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayr
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the CREE and SXO versions of these lights in below auction besides a different color box?

The Cree listing is a mistake. They don't make the P7 emitter.
Old 09-21-10, 07:16 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Then Lupine is the light maker for you! No whining about the price.
Thanks but I've already made my choice, and am very happy with it. So sorry that seems to offend some of you.
Old 09-21-10, 07:32 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks but I've already made my choice, and am very happy with it. So sorry that seems to offend some of you.
Why would you think I am offended? Which light did you choose?
Old 09-21-10, 12:53 PM
I like 3.14!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayr

P7 emitters are Z-Power series LED's made by SSC (Seoul Semiconductor) not by CREE. I think they included "CREE" for people searching LED's for more hits. SXO is the color binning of the emitter and is "cool white"(bluish tint) in the 6500K range (sunlight is 5200K). They also bin for luminous flux (think brightness) and forward voltage.

EDIT:
Also, looking at the eBay links for those MS's (headlight above and bike light), The drive current is listed at 1000mA while the GeoMan's are listed at 2400mA. Could these eBay MS lights be lower binned P7 emitters? If that is the case, then they'll be less than 1/2 as bright.

Last edited by (Y(L|S+; 09-21-10 at 01:02 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.