Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

V brake fork stud broke off

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-16-10, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The bits that sticks out of the front fork that the V brakes slide on. I believe it's called a stud? Anyway, I tightened one too much (I didn't think that would be possible) and it broke off. I therefore have no way to attach that V brake calliper to the fork. Can this be repaired or must I buy new forks? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-16-10, 07:57 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What exactly did you tighten too much? The brake arm onto the stud, or the stud into the fork? The stud may be removable, so if it's just the stud that's broken and not the fork, you can replace the stud.
Old 09-16-10, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tightened the (allen) screw on the brake arm too much. The fork and the sprayed bit sticking out is fine. It's the gold-colored tube that comes out of that that broke off flush with the bit sticking out of the frame. So I need to somehow remove that from inside the frame (any ideas?) and just insert a new one. I thought it was attached to the frame. That's a relief. Thanks very much.
Old 09-17-10, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Those studs may be screwed in, or they may be all in one piece, brazed or welded on to the fork. W/o pics or or knowing the exact make of fork it's impossible to say which. Repairs are possible, but getting a new fork might be more cost effective.