Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

what is this and how do I get it off?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 08:24 PM
rat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an issue with a freehub on my 1980s vintage racer - the cogs came loose when pedalling and now that I look closer, I think a part may be missing because the rings can now just slide right off. Thought I'd slap on a new cassette since the old one was so worn anyway, but can't find one that fits. It's a shimano sis system, but there's no lockring that I can see, just a some kind of plate with two holes that a pin spanner might fit. I clearly have no clue here. What to do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image0028..jpg (61.4 KB, 185 views)
Old 09-17-10, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Looks like a freewheel to me. You need a freewheel tool to remove and place a new freewheel on it.
Old 09-17-10, 08:31 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
It's a freewheel core. Someone removed the cogs. I can vaguely make out 'shimano' on it (?). If that's the case the Park FR-1 tool will get it off.

Re: the title, that's what she said!!
Old 09-17-10, 08:32 PM
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Unless you have a good reason for reusing it, just take a pipe wrench to it after squirting the hub threads with some penetrating oil.

The top cog was threaded and held the others on.
Old 09-18-10, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...what they said. If you look at the inside, where the axle comes through, you'll see that it's splined (has notches in it going all the way around). The tool that you need to remove it will look like a large hex nut on one side and have matching splines on the other. You will need to use a considerable amount of force to get that freewheel core off. The best way to do it, if you have access to a bench vise, is to clamp the hex side of the tool in the vise with the splines facing up, place the whole wheel onto the tool so it engages the freewheel core, and turn the wheel counterclockwise until the core breaks loose...
Old 09-18-10, 09:40 AM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
Counterclockwise facing the side of the wheel with the tool, but if you clamp the tool in a vise it will look clockwise b/c the left side of the wheel will be facing up. I just remember the freewheel is on the right of the bike and pedaling tightens it, so turn the wheel in "reverse" if I imagined the wheel on a bike laying on its right side.

That's if you have a fw remover. If not, either take a pipe wrench to it since you're going to toss it out anyway, or take it to a bike shop. They may charge a few bucks for removal, or not. I do that if I have a good freewheel which takes an oddball remover that is hard to find or expensive.
Uh, no... if you clamp the tool in a vise and twist the wheel (for leverage), you still need to turn the wheel counter-clockwise. Whether it's removing the freewheel from the wheel or removing the wheel from the freewheel, it's still lefty-loosey, righty-tighty.

FWIW: it's definitely a Shimano freewheel body. With the correct freewheel tool (Shimano or Park FR-1), it's about the easiest freewheel to remove.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 09-18-10, 09:51 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...careful!...remember: threaded freewheels have a 'normal' right-hand thread, so you have to unscrew them counterclockwise, as viewed from the right (drive) side of the wheel, to remove them. So, if you clamp a freewheel remover tool into a vise, the tool becomes stationary and you have to turn the wheel in the opposite direction as you would have to turn the tool. That would be clockwise viewed from the side of the wheel with the tool. Now, when the tool is clamped vertically into the vise, that side of the wheel is facing down. Looking up from the floor, you'd be turning the wheel clockwise. But since you're probably not looking up from the floor when doing this, but looking down onto the left side of the wheel facing up, you're turning the wheel counterclockwise to loosen the freewheel...

...edit: oops...Jeff beat me to it...
Old 09-18-10, 09:53 AM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Allvit54
...careful!...remember: threaded freewheels have a 'normal' right-hand thread, so you have to unscrew them counterclockwise, as viewed from the right (drive) side of the wheel, to remove them. So, if you clamp a freewheel remover tool into a vise, the tool becomes stationary and you have to turn the wheel in the opposite direction as you would have to turn the tool. That would be clockwise viewed from the side of the wheel with the tool. Now, when the tool is clamped vertically into the vise, that side of the wheel is facing down. Looking up from the floor, you'd be turning the wheel clockwise. But since you're probably not looking up from the floor when doing this, but looking down onto the left side of the wheel facing up, you're turning the wheel counterclockwise to loosen the freewheel...
Precisely, my dear Huret...

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 09-18-10, 09:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...why, thank you, Professor Honeydew...
Old 09-18-10, 10:45 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
As noted it's just the core of the freewheel with the outer rotatings body, bearings and cogs all gone. Removal with a pipe wrench is a perfectly good approach at this point although the Park or Shimano freewheel puller is a more elegant way to do it.

After it's off, you need a new complete freewheel with however many cogs the old one had. You will also likely need a new chain to match the new freewheel.
Old 09-18-10, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Get/borrow a Shimano freewheel removal tool and remove the core. Something like this, with splines for a Shimano Freewheel: https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...6&category=404. As others have mentioned use a bench vice or something with a long lever arm (be careful to keep the removal tool fully engaged or it will pop out and likely mess up the splines).

6 Speed SIS is hard to come by, but 7 speed stuff seems to be more plentiful. If the freewheel cogs are shot, you'll likely need a new chain too.

I'd get a 7 speed freewheel (not a cassette) and run the shifters in friction mode (non indexed).
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...?category=1665

Last edited by canyoneagle; 09-18-10 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-19-10, 12:12 PM
rat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone - I'll have at it this afternoon.
Old 09-19-10, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
The picture in the OP's post shows a complete freewheel-body without cogs. The outer part will still freewheel in counter-clockwise direction. You need to use a freewheel remover to take it off.

The cassettes that you buy will NOT fit onto this old Shimano freewheel. Why not just slide the cogs back on and hold it all down with the the top threaded-cog?
Old 09-19-10, 04:10 PM
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In order to remove with a pipe wrench, you first have to remove that ring which has holes for a pin spanner. If you are just trying to get rid of the thing, then drive it off with a hammer and cold chisel. It's reverse threaded. After you do that, the rotating part should come right off.
Old 09-20-10, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
The picture in the OP's post shows a complete freewheel-body without cogs. The outer part will still freewheel in counter-clockwise direction. You need to use a freewheel remover to take it off.

The cassettes that you buy will NOT fit onto this old Shimano freewheel. Why not just slide the cogs back on and hold it all down with the the top threaded-cog?
Very good point. OP will need to install the old cogs securely and use a chain whip like this https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=1140 to keep the freewheel static while freeing up the core/body.
Old 09-20-10, 10:07 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I think you are right. When I first saw it it I thought was looking at just the core as there seemed to be recesses for the pawls.
Old 09-20-10, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
Very good point. OP will need to install the old cogs securely and use a chain whip like this https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=1140 to keep the freewheel static while freeing up the core/body.
Nope, freewheel remover attaches to the centre/core of the freewheel body and it doesn't matter what the outside parts are doing. Chainwhip is only needed to unscrew the top threaded cog in order to change cogs. In this case, I don't know where the cogs are or if they are re-useable.
Old 09-21-10, 08:58 AM

Nope, freewheel remover attaches to the centre/core of the freewheel body and it doesn't matter what the outside parts are doing. Chainwhip is only needed to unscrew the top threaded cog in order to change cogs. In this case, I don't know where the cogs are or if they are re-useable.
Ahh, right you are.
It's been a while........
Old 09-21-10, 09:11 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Shimano tool will probably be useful in the tool box, anyhow ,and is common for other brands ,

get that, and if it doesn't fit, have the bike shop un screw the freewheel core you have,
there are several types on their tool board.

and get the replacement freewheel to fit the tool you have.. which it most likely will .
Old 09-21-10, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=954057031482

https://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=954057031482
Old 09-22-10, 10:32 AM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
You don't really need a bench vise to remove most freewheels with the proper freewheel tool. All you need is a quick release skewer to retain the tool against the freewheel body splines. Thread the quick release skewer through the small hole on the quick release tool and then on to the hub, engaging the splines FULLY on the inner freewheel body. Get the quick release just snug but not tight like you're mounting a wheel on for riding and "crack" the Freewheel body off the hub by turning the freewheel tool counterclockwise with a BIG adjustable wrench ( I think I use one that has at least a 12" or longer handle). Remove the quick release skewer after you "cracked" it off and continue to unscrew the Freewheel body off with the wrench or sometimes you can just do it by hand by then if the threads on the freewheel and hub happens to be clean and in good condition.

Chombi