Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Want to start riding after 10 years off...

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-04, 07:29 PM

Bikes: Trek 6000 & Giant Rincon SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am wanting to start riding my mountain bike after around a 10 year layoff...I am about 50-60 lbs over-weight and I have had some knee injuries...My question is what can I do to be able to ride on the trails around my area?...I travel 5-6 days a week but most of the time am home on weekends but I have thought about taking my bike with me when I travel away from home...I really want to use this as a way to loose weight and just get back into shape...It is pretty hard to have a set schedule when you live out of a hotel room and you may work 8 hours one day and maybe 12 hours the next...I just need help getting myself started in the right direction...I know I need to watch what I eat and I need to exercise but what can I do when I am on the rode?...Thanks for the help.

Todd
Old 09-27-04, 07:46 PM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A folding bike? And Ritchey makes a real road bike that breaks down ( the triangles come apart) > But it's probably around 2000$.
Old 09-28-04, 09:29 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Maybe put slicks on the mountain bike and ride roads around where you live, unless you live near trails the hassle of loading up car will make it more difficult to get out the door for trail riding.

Maybe you can use bike for errands, commuting. Thats what I did after 10yrs of no real riding. I put more miles each week commuting/errands (90mi) that on my weekend long rides. (60mi)

As to travel, I do quite often as well, most of the hotels I stay at happen to have a gym and most have cycle exercise machines - maybe make that a point to look for that when booking hotels. If not maybe just take your walking (edit - I saw you have knee problems, can you walk 2-3mi) shoes - at least you get some exercise if not cycling.

Al