Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Right Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-04, 10:26 PM
pgs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Right Bike?

We are looking for new bikes to ride primarily crushed stone trails (like the Katy Trail in Missouri). What kind should we get? Cyclocross, Touring, or Hybrid? Can anyone suggest some good brands and the right type of bike?
Old 09-27-04, 11:54 PM
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go hybrid or comfort. My wife and I have Specialized Expedition Sports, and I'd consider them to be perfect for crushed stone. We recently did a metric century on them, so they can be used for longish road rides too.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 09-28-04, 05:54 AM
wildjim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by pgs
We are looking for new bikes to ride primarily crushed stone trails (like the Katy Trail in Missouri). What kind should we get? Cyclocross, Touring, or Hybrid? Can anyone suggest some good brands and the right type of bike?
I've ridden the NCR Trail here in Maryland on several bicycles. It's stone is fine and packed hard enough to ride a Road Bike with Tubular Tires(120 lbs air); although I felt a slight constant vibration. The Hard Tail MTB Bicycle (Giant XTC) felt smoother and fitted to this type of trail. I've used Slick Tires(60 lbs air) and Nobbed Tires(50 lbs air) on the MTB and they both feel smooth enough on the crushed stone surface. I am also considering a Cyclocross Bicycle just for this purpose. I prefer a quick steering racing type bicycle.

As for brands Giant Bicycles offer great value for the price as they are one of largest bicycle manufacturers in the world. I own two Giant Bicycles and they are my favorites. They are smooth, quiet and flawless in workmanship and operation. I also own a Cannondale and a Bianchi which function perfectly as well.