Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Citizen Miami Review (2yrs), and Questions about the Dahon Boardwalk S1

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Citizen Miami Review (2yrs), and Questions about the Dahon Boardwalk S1

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megavovan
You can just buy a whole rear wheel with the hub already in it.
I got this 3 sp set for my Dahon S1 a while back, just replaced rear wheel, ran a shifter cable to the back and it's been running great since...
https://lightenupbikes.com/shimano-ne...el-silver.aspx
I was thinking about that as an idea. However, I want to have as few cables as possible. My goal at the moment it to get a Sturney Archer S2C, and then get the gear ratio to where I want. But that may be a few months in the future after I get used to the new bike. (Still waiting for it to arrive)
Old 10-07-10, 02:54 PM
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what your commute is like, but you might find you like the single speed of the Boardwalk just fine and not really even need the 3-speed hub. My current folder is a old Bianchi single speed with a coaster brake (added a front brake) and its great for me. You might have to experiment getting the right gearing, but you might find you like the simple 1 speed with nothing else to worry about. Of course you may want more gears, but its something to think about.
Old 10-08-10, 11:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I did go ahead and bought the Dahon Boardwalk S1 from Performance Bike (Though, now I can't find it on their website... odd.) After getting it fit for me, I took it out for a nice leisurely test run around the block. Its handling is far superior to my Citizen, along with the sturdiness of the bike. The hinges are nice and tight, and I feel like I can actually put my (ailbet light) weight into the machine. Also, the whole bike is silent, and to be honest, a fun ride. It seems to go the same speed as my Citizen when I rode it to work. I feel this bike will be perfect for my commute (though, I still may add the S2C hub later for more speed). The bike fully mounted is lighter by a few pounds than the Citizen, which is always nice!

Some cons: The paint seems to chip easy. Also, the front cog seems a little warped, but only slightly. I wish I could adjust the handlebar height, but it is at a good height for me, so its a moot point. Mounting things to the bike was a little difficult (but possible) and the rear rack seems like it isn't as sturdy as the Citizen.

And of course, the pictures. (Lights, emergency pump, small tool bag, folding crate, and the necessary-for-Phoenix water bottle, all mounted)

IMG_0696..jpg
IMG_0697..jpg

Last edited by camroidv27; 10-09-10 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-08-10, 11:48 PM

Bikes: Cheap $100 Walmart mtn bike full suspension

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear that!

The rear rack on Boardwalk is very strong. I carry a backpack full of books all the time on it (attached a wire basket on top with a bunch of zip ties).
BTW pictures you attached do not work.

EDIT: they work now

the rack that you added doesn't seem very strong. Here is how mine set up, a nonfolding basket on top of the rack:
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/558268-first-folder-2009-dahon-boardwalk-s1-modifications-pending.html

Last edited by megavovan; 10-09-10 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 07:03 PM
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice review of the bike. If the front cog really is warped there is nothing wrong with taking it back to get a new part. That crank looks pretty similar to the Dahon Boardwalk 6 I bought on CL a few days ago for my wife. Its not bad, but if you wanted to upgrade that might be a good place to start just because it looks like it might be kinda heavy. Seeing your stem and handlebars is all in one piece I am glad that I got the Boardwalk 6 because I can switch out the handlebars if I want. I couldn't believe how much lighter in weight the Boardwalk was compared to the single-speed Schwinn Hinge that I had before. I figured it would be lighter,but it was ridiculous. It made me want to try out some of the lighter Dahon frames.
Old 10-11-10, 07:45 PM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strongly suggest you replace the 'plastic' brake handle on the S1 with a metal one, like an Avid. It takes the rubbery feel out of the front brake.

Lou
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1442 (Large)..JPG (91.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Foldable Two; 10-11-10 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 12:56 PM

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Xootr Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megavovan
the rack that you added doesn't seem very strong. Here is how mine set up, a nonfolding basket on top of the rack:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=558268
If the OP is using the Wald folding basket (https://www.amazon.com/Wald-Folding-B...dp/B000BPNK7OA) I think it should be ok. I've had positive experience with these for hauling <25lbs. They are quite heavy though.

Edit: Nvm, you were referring to the rack itself, not the basket.