Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Focus bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on Focus bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts on Focus bikes?

I'm looking to get a bike for training/commuting/etc. but I want to keep it pretty reasonably priced. I have been scouring the internet to find something ~$900 in a 61cm or larger size, and it seems that a few retailers are selling Focus bikes for pretty cheap. Here's an example (and there's more out there...2010's, etc.):https://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=18074

They are a German brand which seem to be decently popular overseas but don't have a lot of presence here. I've only found a few reviews and the biggest complaint is that their aluminum frames are a bit on the heavy side. But for a trainer, who cares, right? In the example linked above, you get a pretty nice spec for the money...

Any thoughts?
Old 09-27-10, 09:14 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is a good bike for the price. Full 105 for just over $800? Hard to beat. The wheels are not great, from what I've heard (no personal experience), but I bet they would hold up just fine til you feel ready to replace them. As for weight, that certainly isn't a weight-weenie bike, but who cares? You get a fully functional, complete bike for less than the cost of a decent high-end wheelset. If the geometry is right, go for it.

edit...looks like free shipping, too. Awesome.
Old 09-27-10, 09:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump...anyone?

Edit: ^^ Thanks for the reply. Geometry seems comparable to other major manufacturers in the same size. Yep, the wheels are bad, but this bike is mainly for training and winter rides so I will be riding them till they explode.
Old 09-27-10, 09:21 AM

Bikes: 2010 Felt F1 SL, 2007 Trek Madone, 2007 Klein Q Elite XV, 2006 Lemond Tete de Course, 20099 Salsa Chili Con Cross Team Clif,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The club I ride on has Focus as the bike sponsor. I haven’t ridden one but the guys say they love them. I think most have the Izalco Expert.
Performance Bikes also carries them as well.
Old 09-27-10, 03:17 PM

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to mention that Team Katusha has picked up Focus as their bike sponsor since Milram disbanded. Now to go from Milram to the 3rd UCI ranked team isn't too bad for a company that was unveiled in 2008.
Old 09-27-10, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I,m not too happy with the shifting on the Gossamer Crankset, aside from that my Focus CX bike has been great. Very sturdy and comfortable frame on the entrylevel Cx-bikes. I think German bikes on the whole are better than their given credit for. Canyon (onlineshop only) makes great bikes and they are in TDF as well now. The bike you are looking at has a great price for what you get IMO.
Old 09-27-10, 04:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2011 Focus Izalco Pro 1.0 with DuraAce on the way as well as a 2011 Chrono TT bike. Can't wait. I rode the new Izalco and it was stiff and handled well. I really didn't get too much time on one to really give a break down.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-10, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If there's a pro team using them, and you're buying from a reputable shop, I wouldn't worry much. Most quality carbon frames are made in one of several factories in Asia (in general, Taiwan is better than China for production), to the manufacturer's specifications.

If you rode it and liked the ride, and the price is good, then go for it.
Old 09-27-10, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those are darn good prices.
https://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.asp...C61&Prod=18942
The Cayo expert retails for 3500$ in Canada.
Old 09-27-10, 05:17 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I say go for it. I've got a Cannondale I bought as a left over last year w/full 105 (shifters, crank,hubs & ft. derailleur). The only u[grrade on the bike compared to yours was the ultegra rear der. Needless to say, I thought it was good deal @ $1100! Go for it!
Old 09-27-10, 05:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by intence
If there's a pro team using them, and you're buying from a reputable shop, I wouldn't worry much. Most quality carbon frames are made in one of several factories in Asia (in general, Taiwan is better than China for production), to the manufacturer's specifications.

If you rode it and liked the ride, and the price is good, then go for it.
Most of the Focus bikes are made in Germany. Yep, it surprised me too.
Old 09-28-10, 07:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, it's good to see that you all think the bikes are good deals. Soooo....

I ordered the Mares Cyclocross for $975 shipped! I'm usually apprehensive about buying a bike without riding it, but the geometry seems legit and the bike is well reviewed. It will be my first CX bike, and I'm really excited. I thought about adding some fire road blasting and winter snow rides to my training schedule. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this thing.
Old 09-28-10, 04:36 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The MAIN difference between Focus and other brands offering Pro-Level frames is their business model. My Focus is everything any one of my more expensive bikes ever was and even better in areas of stiffnes and quality control. Face it, most carbon frames are more alike than not and a lot of the differences in quality and performance are perception. Swing your leg over a $5k frame and you may think it is the better bike. With carbon fiber offerings from Focus and other brands that have chosen to price their frames more affordably, more $ is often not better.

I admire Parlee, but if you want a pure race oriented frame, Focus's stiffness blows the Z5 out of the water. I picked up my Focus for under $2k. As good as any bike I have owned $5k.
Old 09-28-10, 06:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't beat that price. I too own a Focus. As I said in the other post, they are big in the UK. Rapha and Focus for CX. Bikes in TDF. It's true about thei alum being a bit heavy. Read the reviews on Wiggle. https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...riple-10-35772 https://thewashingmachinepost.net/focus/review.html
Old 09-28-10, 07:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slothlike
The MAIN difference between Focus and other brands offering Pro-Level frames is their business model. My Focus is everything any one of my more expensive bikes ever was and even better in areas of stiffnes and quality control. Face it, most carbon frames are more alike than not and a lot of the differences in quality and performance are perception. Swing your leg over a $5k frame and you may think it is the better bike. With carbon fiber offerings from Focus and other brands that have chosen to price their frames more affordably, more $ is often not better.

I admire Parlee, but if you want a pure race oriented frame, Focus's stiffness blows the Z5 out of the water. I picked up my Focus for under $2k. As good as any bike I have owned $5k.
Now that's a gorgeous bike - love the matte finish. I must say that Focus does a nice job with their color schemes/liveries.

It's good to see some other BF members with good things to say about the brand. I'm sure I'll love the Mares, and I'll post some pics once it gets here and I assemble it.
Old 09-29-10, 06:16 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm getting a mares as well. Very excited!
Old 09-29-10, 07:38 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cube, Canyon, and Focus all get rave reviews from the people I ride with.
Old 09-29-10, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
Originally Posted by intence
Most quality carbon frames are made in one of several factories in Asia (in general, Taiwan is better than China for production), to the manufacturer's specifications.
Except the OP is thinking about an aluminum frame
Old 10-08-10, 06:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Focus Mares was shipped to me yesterday! I built it up and took it for a quick spin before the sun went down, and I really like it.

Some thoughts...

Initial Quality
As I unwrapped the packing material, I was like a kid unwrapping a Christmas present. You know, the big ones that you tear off section by section and it gets more and more exciting until all the wrapping is off. The Mares looks great! I am really impressed with the color scheme, paint and overall quality of the frame and fork. There are a lot of accents that you don't see on many other bikes, namely the "Made in Germany" and "German Lightweight Engineering" type under the clearcoat. Very cool.

I believe Concept may be Focus' house-brand parts, and the saddle, post and rims bear the name. They seem to be of good quality, but I replaced the saddle immediately with a Specialized Phenom 143. The rear rim is slightly out of true, but that's an easy fix. Spoke tension is good overall.

First Ride Impressions
The bike isn't a lightweight, that's for sure. I'm guessing it's around 21-22 lbs. But, it does have a beefy wheelset, mid-range components and a 62cm frame, so you can't expect it to be on par with a carbon road bike.

I adjusted the saddle and bars to a good position, pumped the tires up to 75 psi (remember they are 35c cross tires) and took off down the road. Within the first 10 pedal strokes I knew I had made a good purchase. The bike felt rigid and the initial ride position I set up felt pretty comfortable. The 35c tires roll better than I expected on pavement. The Mares felt nice around around corners, although it is a bit more sluggish than I am used to. Might be a geometry/ride position thing, but it's not a big deal at the moment.

I made sure to have some fun though on my quick ride, blasting through a couple of fields and dirt paths. This is what cross bikes are made for, right?

Overall, I'm really happy. It's a genuinely fun bike that you don't see everyday. And its a great deal for the money. I usually wouldn't write so much about a bike I just got, but I guess I am just really happy with the purchase. I will try and get a few pics up over the weekend.
Old 10-08-10, 07:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I hope you are very happy, make sure you get some photos up!
Old 10-08-10, 11:18 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Mares just arrived today as well...sadly I will not be able to enjoy it till later tonight.
Old 10-12-10, 05:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gospastic
My Mares just arrived today as well...sadly I will not be able to enjoy it till later tonight.
Did you get a chance to ride it yet? If so, how do you like it?

I took mine out last night for a 25 miler and I can't say enough good things about it. The frame seems stiff, the geometry is nice and the riding position is pretty darn comfortable. Plus, bombing off the road into some fields and dirt paths at random is a total blast.
Old 02-18-12, 12:30 AM
   

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BUMP.

Has anyone ever gotten the chance to ride/see a FOCUS bike in action? I happened to stumble upon the brand a few months ago, and I'd have to say, the German company makes some pretty good looking bikes.

Granted, the company's more popular in Europe and Australia (I believe), so it's understandable that no one's ever ridden them here in the U.S.

For example:

Izalco Pro 3.0

https://www.focus-bikes.com/int/en/bi...gory/road.html
Old 02-18-12, 12:42 AM
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mr. Miyagi approves.

Old 02-18-12, 12:55 AM
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Performance Bike has been carrying them for a couple years now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.