Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bicycle pump

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

bicycle pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bicycle pump

I was at my LBS and needed to use their bicycle pump. I found it to be the easiest and most effective way of filling up air in shraeder and presta valves. You simply put it on the valve and start pumping. Their pump was a black burn, but I searched everywhere and couldn't find the same. perhaps they they made it. there is no hassle in getting it in perfect either. it slips in easily and pump air in. any idea?
Old 09-30-10, 12:07 PM
Advisor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Blackburn, most bike shops carry it, why do you go back to the same bike shop and buy it there?
Old 09-30-10, 12:11 PM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Zefal HP x that I am very happy with, but changing the nib from presta to shrader is a pain.
I also have a floor pump with a nib that fits both shraeder and presta without being changed. Now that is slick!
Old 09-30-10, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
If you found this at a shop it was likely a floor style pump with the T at the bottom to put your feet onto. And yes, they are very convienient to use.

There's a wide array of floor pumps from lots of makers. While Blackburn is a good one Zefal, Topeak, Silca and others all make options that are equally as good. Just get one with a pressure guage up near the top where it's easy to see and you'll be happy.
Old 09-30-10, 12:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i know its a floor pump. I own my myself. Its just that their valve? theres nothing to clamp with or anything. just put it over the valve type and start filling up air.
Old 09-30-10, 01:48 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Again, why don't you just go back to the shop and ask them about it? They have the pump, they can tell and show you in person anything you want to know. We on the other hand have to guess at what pump it might be and what you mean, especially with your creative use of words.
Old 09-30-10, 02:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried a Lezyne? They're a bit more expensive, but they're fantastic, durable, easy to use and well designed.
Old 09-30-10, 05:34 PM

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cab chaser
Have you tried a Lezyne? They're a bit more expensive, but they're fantastic, durable, easy to use and well designed.
It sounds like the factor the OP likes about the pump is the fact there's no need to be switching around the pump head for different valves. A shop I worked at had a Blackburn like that, and yes, it was convenient. Beware, however, that such a valve attachment will likely wear out more quickly w/ repeated use.

I recently bought a Lezyne steel floor pump, and I absolutely love it. The craftsmanship far surpasses the Joe Blow Sport pump I replaced. However, the cost is far greater, and unless you're really a nut for great tools, it's not a must in order to have something that's functional and relatively durable.
Old 09-30-10, 06:01 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I just bought one as well and given how long it will last for me it's worth it, especially as I used a $10 off code from Bike Nashbar.
Old 09-30-10, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CarLo
yeah i know its a floor pump. I own my myself. Its just that their valve? theres nothing to clamp with or anything. just put it over the valve type and start filling up air.
Ah! Now I see where this is going. It was the style of valve head and not the pump itself. Sorry but your post made it sound like you had just discovered floor pumps....

You'll want to go back to the shop and ask what valve they are using. A lot of the better ones can be put on any pump. If they are using one on the shop pump there's a good chance you can get the same valve from then to retrofit onto your pump.
Old 09-30-10, 08:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bought a blackburn pump at sports authority... i got the fancier one, I think, but the valve end thing has one lever... you put in on the bike valve and flip it 180 degrees for presta, 90 degrees for schraeder... based on the design i dont think it will wear prematurely compared to others... works great.
Old 09-30-10, 11:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i find out they use a silca head and went and bought one. I'm gonna buy a lezyne pump and add this silca head on. The floor pump i have now takes 30 pumps to inflate.
Old 10-01-10, 08:06 AM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CarLo, if you thought that silca was a good pump... Try any one of the newer more modern pumps out there that have a pump lock lever on the pump head. More secure, no fussing with perfect placement of the pump head. I used to have a silca back in the old days. Replaced it with a newer, more modern style of pump. Never looked back.
Old 10-01-10, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got one of the new Blackburns, and it has the type of "head" you describe. Presta or Schraeder, just stick it in and flip the lever. Clever....

I can recommend Blackburn for another reason; their great service policy. I got this one for free after my old one needed new rubber bits for the head and I found they had discontinued it. So...They sent me a new one free.
Which is the second time I've done this....
Not bad.
Old 10-02-10, 03:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, you guys are too funny. i already told you there are no levers. You just put it on the valve and start pumping. heres a pick of what i'm talking about. You guys should try it.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Silca-24-0-Prest...item5d2af0e3ca
Old 10-02-10, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here ya go.... Amazon has 'em. Good reviews too.
https://www.amazon.com/Silca-Presta-V.../dp/B001AYSFNY
Old 10-02-10, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i find out they use a silca head and went and bought one. I'm gonna buy a lezyne pump and add this silca head on. The floor pump i have now takes 30 pumps to inflate.
The lezyne uses a threaded head like the silica, but smaller (this is why I bought the Lezyne). You can flip it around to change it from Presta to Schrader if you need to. I honestly wouldn't mess with it - it works perfectly as built. The head it self is used to keep the hoze neat when not in use, it slips into a little notch at the base of the pump. Switching it with the Silica will make it so that the head no longer fits in this notch.

Old 10-02-10, 08:29 PM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lol, you guys are too funny. i already told you there are no levers. You just put it on the valve and start pumping. heres a pick of what i'm talking about. You guys should try it.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Silca-24-0-Prest...item5d2af0e3ca

I've actually used a Silca for man, many years. I know alot of my old riding compadres did too. It's just my personal preference to use the kind of pumps that have a locking lever on the pump head now. I find that far less finicky and faster than the old Silca style. However, it's totally just a personal preference thing. Once the pump head is on the valve, all pumps work about the same. So, if you like the Silca style, go for it. They are great pumps.