Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

attitude of other forums

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

attitude of other forums

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 01:12 PM

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
attitude of other forums

i usually "hang out" here and in general cycling. i've noticed a real difference between the attitude of the posters. for example...in general cycling, right now there is a post about a getting a full suspension bike with front and rear disk brakes, shimano everything, under 35 pounds, and the guy wants one for under $300. for his commute that has potholes, hence the need for full suspension. i tried to nicely explain this is entirely unreasonable, and people want to argue about it and say i'm putting them down. people ask some crazy questions, and when you try to explain they are not quite correct in their assumptions, they get all offended.

there are lots of good posters, lots of people with solid information who post there, lots of very cool people, but there are also a number of folks there who...i just don't get.

it's all really interesting. there are many facets of the diamond that is the "cycling world," lots of views and differences that make up the whole, which makes the "cycling world" so interesting and cool, but wow...i just don't understand some people.

i guess i assume if you ride a bicycle, you know certain things. but people are people, and even cyclists can be ignorant weirdos. (i'm not ignorant, but i am a weirdo)

Last edited by pablosnazzy; 10-08-10 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-08-10, 08:16 PM
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forums shoud be as much about fun as info......but you reallllly need to know who to get good info from. When folks get called out on their ignorance it tends to make them unhappy. That's when know it all mountainbikers can really have some fun. See how it all makes a perfect circle.
Old 10-08-10, 08:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I had the $$$ to buy a new commuter, it would be a full suspension mountain bike, and you better believe it would be under 35 lbs. It would not be under $300.

I'm not going to attempt to rationalize this here, however.
Old 10-08-10, 09:03 PM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want a lightweight, full suspension mountain bike with disc brakes for under $300! (I'm more in the SRAM camp, but for that price, I'm not picky). In fact, I bet most people would want a lightweight full suspension mountain bike with disc brakes for under $300. I don't blame the guy!

He probably won't find one though.

EDIT: I just read the "Good Dual/Full Suspension Bikes" thread. I only see one guy who is saying that the cheap-o full suspension is a good idea...the guy with the Schwinn who's saying it has the same components as his Trek (Maybe he just saw "Shimano" on both of them and assumed they were the same? Or maybe it's an old Schwinn...or a Yeti). Everyone else seems to be telling him his demands are unreasonable or that an FS is overkill. Am I reading the wrong thread?

Last edited by Zephyr11; 10-08-10 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-09-10, 07:24 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that's the thread.

and that was just one example. some of the stuff people post there is ridiculous/hilarious. some of the people who post stuff there, some of their "advice"...really makes me wonder if they breathe oxygen on whatever planet they are living on. and when you try to explain things to them or disagree with them some of them get all out of proportion offended. here in mountain biking people all seem to be a bit more level headed.

Last edited by pablosnazzy; 10-09-10 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 08:06 AM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Potholes equals the "necessity" for a dually.

Oughtta take this panz out to my trails with me on the crapper and educate.

There are only a few people here that I'd seriously take advice from because I know that actually spend time on the bike in a manner worthy of the bike they ride.

Forums need a bit of sport interjected here and there. You have to understand that some of us have been on here for a while and see just about every thread posted...come back full circle nearly every season. Therefore...you gotta back off and cut the synical peeps some slack when they take a jab at the obvious. It's not punishing someone for being ignorant...it's just tough love. (at least that's my mindset when I hang out here) Sure, there are some know-it-all pricks on here that haven't got a clue. No matter what...when I'm on the trail...those dudes out in the woods are mah brotha's sharing a common passion. If I roll up on "that dude" who just doesn't get it...I may jack with 'em a bit. Patronize his "lap times" or condescendingly boast about the necessity of his 5" dually on a NORBA track I understand that there's another aspect of "the sport" that focuses on bike weight and Power Tap printouts, but the heart and soul of mountain biking is still where that "Hipster" wanted it to be in the days of Repack.

When it all comes down to it...I appreciate the enthusiasm of everyone in the sport. ATB progression would have died if it weren't for the people who have to have the latest and greatest...then I benefit from the trickle-down effect.

Example: Cheeto...lordy, I gave that little dude so much crap in the beginning. Still do when he gives me the chance. I think he's shown some maturity and took it on the chin.

Oh yeah...that is pretty unreasonable...unless you benefit from someone else's tragedy. If someone finds that bike for that price...they should be horse whipped for supporting the thief who took it.

Last edited by ed; 10-09-10 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 02:22 PM
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Until my mom & stepdad got into mountain biking, I was unaware that FS mountain bikes existed that weren't made at Wal Mart. However, if I went to a biking forum & was told that those bikes are POS's & that a decent FS bike starts at ~$1500, I wouldn't be offended. Shocked absolutely, but getting upset when someone tells you your assumptions of a sport you know nothing about are unrealistic is just asinine. That's when I get mean & tell someone to guy buy their Next, cut the brake cables, & take it to the top of the biggest, baddest mountain they can find.
Old 10-09-10, 04:30 PM
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're the real deal dude!!!!! Gnarcore without a doubt!
Old 10-10-10, 12:59 AM
Live4Him

Bikes: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?637645-My-new-project-*pics*&highlight=gonathan85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
but people are people
I think this pretty much sums it up. We're all bound to have our own issues (speaking for myself as well). I think the importance lies in a bit of discernment, intelligence, self-control, and grace.
Old 10-10-10, 08:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gonathan85
...... I think the importance lies in a bit of discernment, intelligence, self-control, and grace.
it just seems there are more people without those qualities in general cycling than there are here....it seems here, when someone says dumb crap and gets called on it, they accept it and move on. also, it seems there is more experience here than in general cycling. this is all just my opinion
Old 10-10-10, 09:45 AM
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes but the ones who don't accept it and move on are the ones who really make this place worthwhile.
Old 10-10-10, 10:10 AM
Fool O' crap

Bikes: Are faster than yours.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
Yes but the ones who don't accept it and move on are the ones who really make this place worthwhile.
Amen
Old 10-10-10, 03:12 PM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Other forums suck. So does this one, but others do too.
Old 10-10-10, 04:58 PM

Bikes: late 80's bianchi campion d'italia, early 90's trek 2100, early 90's shogun selectra, mid 90's aluminum marin xcMTB, dept. store grade but upgraded columbia double eagle tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A quick scan of thread titiles in General cycling belies the fact that it is heavily populated by beginner and otherwise "clueless" cyclists, and therefore the quality of the advice there, on the whole is not going to be up to the standard as other, more specialized forums. I mean, come on, people were suggesting aftermarket gel seat covers in that thread, and with a straight face too.
Old 10-10-10, 06:22 PM
Fool O' crap

Bikes: Are faster than yours.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What's wrong gel seat covers? I have one of those on my FS Next - rides very smooth on all the rough chip sealed roads around here. Now it weighs 17 lbs and I can average about 34mph around my block.
Old 10-10-10, 06:26 PM
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My gel seat compliments my pink handlebar tassels quite nicely. thank you.
Old 10-10-10, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just get offended when people talk **** about my $120 FS walmart bike that i swapped out my components to Sram XX and also put a Fox 32 F-series fork on...........................
Old 10-10-10, 08:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALLSTOTT
i just get offended when people talk **** about my $120 FS walmart bike that i swapped out my components to Sram XX and also put a Fox 32 F-series fork on...........................
that bike sounds SIIIICK!!!!!!
Old 10-10-10, 09:10 PM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sscyco
What's wrong gel seat covers? I have one of those on my FS Next - rides very smooth on all the rough chip sealed roads around here. Now it weighs 17 lbs and I can average about 34mph around my block.
Put that gel seat cover on a Brooks saddle and mount the entire thing on a suspension seat post for the ULTIMATE in comfort. Those pot holes will have nothing on you.
Old 10-10-10, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or you can get one of these bad boys... DH ready. LOL!!!

Last edited by ALLSTOTT; 10-10-10 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-10-10, 10:44 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Ya, but this one is:

The amazing Stacy Kohut at the controls.

Last edited by dminor; 10-10-10 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-11-10, 07:02 AM
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That dude could get hurt doing that!
Old 10-11-10, 10:50 AM
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a "general cycling" forum? Probably a bunch of hacks and Specialized supporters.
Old 10-11-10, 11:56 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
There's SMART and then there's K-MART SMART! You gotta know where to shop. I bet they have a fine selection for F/S MTBs. You can carry a scale from housewares over to the bikes, I guess. Bike people are a diverse bunch. I did find a nice pair of gloves there once. BELL-Pro series, ehaaaaa.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 10-11-10, 12:51 PM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
There's SMART and then there's K-MART SMART! You gotta know where to shop.
K-Mart? Screw that. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.