Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel problem on new bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the spring I bought a Bianchi Brava. After a couple hundred miles I had spoke problems and the LBS took care of it. Less than 75 miles later is happened again only worse and again the LBS took care of it. Less than 100 miles later, this time it was basically unfixable so I shelled out some bucks for a better wheel. My question is: Why won't Bianchi replace or compensate me for my wheel as there was no abuse and I am 185 pounds. If I by a road bike, shouldn't I be able to ride it and expect the wheel to hold up at least the first few months or is this just something that happens and I should just accept it?
Thanks!!
Old 10-01-04, 08:27 AM
yes... You're on my left

Bikes: Specialized FSR XC/Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gaross
In the spring I bought a Bianchi Brava. After a couple hundred miles I had spoke problems and the LBS took care of it. Less than 75 miles later is happened again only worse and again the LBS took care of it. Less than 100 miles later, this time it was basically unfixable so I shelled out some bucks for a better wheel. My question is: Why won't Bianchi replace or compensate me for my wheel as there was no abuse and I am 185 pounds. If I by a road bike, shouldn't I be able to ride it and expect the wheel to hold up at least the first few months or is this just something that happens and I should just accept it?
Thanks!!

Did your LBS contact Bianchi about replacing/repairing the wheel? Did you ask them to after the second incident? The first one I can understand (sort of), Things loosen up at first, but after a readjustment they should be fine (although a well built wheel should not). I would suspect a bad batch of spokes, and Bianchi should support their products, but it's possible that now, after so much (probably) unauthorized work, and a (possibly) unauthorized wheel change, they may not feel responsible. Harsh I know, but business.
Old 10-01-04, 01:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi was contacted after the 3rd incident and they are not giving me anything.
Old 10-04-04, 09:01 AM
yes... You're on my left

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi was contacted after the 3rd incident and they are not giving me anything.

I feel your pain then. Shame on Bianchi... I always thought they were better than that.
Old 10-04-04, 09:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could there be something in the way I ride that would cause this? I weigh 185 pounds and ride often but only on roads. In my younger years, the wheels lasted forever and took a lot of abuse.
Thanks for all your help on this!
Old 10-04-04, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the original wheels didnt have spokes that had been tensioned and stress relieved properly. I dont think your shop did a good job when you went back the first time.
Old 10-04-04, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP
I think the original wheels didnt have spokes that had been tensioned and stress relieved properly. I dont think your shop did a good job when you went back the first time.
Yep, a poorly built wheel is a poorly built wheel and will always be so till done right. Even so with good components and bad build.I have OEM Bianchi wheels built with Open Pro rims,chorus hubs and cheap generic spokes. Broke 2 spokes in the rear and have to have the wheel rebuilt. Have never broke a spoke even on other crappy wheels.
Old 10-05-04, 10:18 AM
yes... You're on my left

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could there be something in the way I ride that would cause this? I weigh 185 pounds and ride often but only on roads. In my younger years, the wheels lasted forever and took a lot of abuse.
Thanks for all your help on this!
It's highly doubtful that your weight or the way you ride has anything to do with this problem. I'm 175 and work my bikes very hard. Usually, I only have to replace rims when the braking surface wears out from use. Unless you're going out of your way to hit curbs, rocks, small animals and children, etc., the wheels should last (with reasonable service) 10's of years. Be upset with Bianchi, and really angry with your LBS for not getting it right.
Old 10-05-04, 11:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did anybody contact the wheel manufacturer. I agree Bianchi should stand behind the wheels but my guess is they didn't make the wheels somebody else did. Have the bike shop contact the wheel mfg.
Old 10-06-04, 09:04 AM
Two wheel escape!!

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't give up...I had a great experience with Bianchi in replacing my frame. The FD hanger split and they replaced my Giro frame with a new Repart Corso AL-3. Who mfg. the wheelset? Have the LBS go to them for replacement.

185 lbs. is nothin....I'm 195 and have been on a set of Bontrager race for 10K miles and still no problems.