Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Slightly bent rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Slightly bent rim

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 04:12 AM

Bikes: '98 Cannondale Super-v 700, '07 Specialized SX Trail III, '15 Gravity Zilla Monster Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slightly bent rim

The rear rim on my mtb is bent slightly, but noticably. Seems like about 1/8th inch. Is it safe to ride like that? Is it fixable? If so, how much does that sort of thing usualy cost?

I only noticed it after I took it out to get it ready for another ride this weekend. Last weekend I wrecked and was kind of sore, so I didn't notice that the wheel was dragging on the brake :\

Thanks!
Old 10-01-04, 06:16 AM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Is it bent, or out of true? Somewhat of a difference. If its just out of true 1/8" (side to side) get the wheel trued. You might have a loose/broken spoke to cause that.
Old 10-01-04, 06:48 AM

Bikes: '98 Cannondale Super-v 700, '07 Specialized SX Trail III, '15 Gravity Zilla Monster Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I guess its just out of true, but it was forcibly made out of true in a wreck(if that matters). I wouldn't have noticed it except that it rubs on the brakes now. But when you look at it from the point of view of the brake pads, it is definitly noticable.
Old 10-01-04, 08:17 AM
yes... You're on my left

Bikes: Specialized FSR XC/Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stregone
Yeah I guess its just out of true, but it was forcibly made out of true in a wreck(if that matters). I wouldn't have noticed it except that it rubs on the brakes now. But when you look at it from the point of view of the brake pads, it is definitly noticable.
Chances are it can be fixed. 1/8 inch shouldn't be too terrible. I have had that in the past and ridden 80+ miles before I got home (was 80 miles or so from home and wasn't carrying a spoke wrench) and could true up the wheel. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, have your LBS do it. Barring any problems like an actual dent, this shouldn't cost very much.
Old 10-01-04, 08:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thats good to hear. Thanks guys