Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Bike and Build in summer 2010

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm applying for a Bike and Build tour in the summer of 2010, which means I'm looking to prepare for a cross-country bike trip. I'm a 24 year old guy, 5'9" 145 lbs in decent shape, but I know it's going to take a regimen to get into "riding-3800-miles-in-three months" shape. I don't need to lose weight, obviously, but cardiovascularly, I'm not ready yet.

Some questions:

-Is weight training effective for biking? Squats, leg press, etc.? I've read that increasing one's strength for low-rep sets does very little for the long-distance cyclist because of how little force is used with each pedal stroke. Any thoughts? Any personal experience?

-Interval training: does it work?

-Recovery time after a 60-mile ride: how long is too short?

-Carb intake: how much is too much?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-10, 04:21 PM
Roadie in Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weight training- From what I've read, it is of no real benefit for cycling (unless your a sprinter), it is a decidedly anaerobic activity, whereas cycling is aerobic, and you use different muscle fibers for each.

Interval Training- I use it, I'm almost certain it works better than just riding.

Recovery Time after a 60 mile ride- During the summer I do that every other day during the summer, and the other days I do 40 miles, I take weekends off. So I don't really have any recovery time.

Carb Intake- I eat as much as I think I should (I'm not much of a help on this issue).

Good luck on your tour, I'd love to do something like that.