Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

hit by car

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-02, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hit by car

Hi,

I am 12 years old and am not sure about cycling on the road. I thought that I could still ride on the sidewalk but a policeman pulled over and told me to get off the sidewalk and on the road and act like a regular motorist instead of a child.

I told my parents about this and they were not very happy about it - especially since my dad is a policeman.

Anyway, I am just wondering - would you rather have your son or daughter riding on the sidewalk or the road ?
Was I being disrespectful by cycling on the sidewalk ? I was very careful and would stop and pull off to the side if anybody was walking by me or towards me.
What do you think about kids cycling on the road ?

Reece
Old 03-27-02, 04:30 PM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would not want my 12 year olds riding on the street. I think a talk with the police dept would be warranted in this case.

Hmmm, I don't intend to stereotype here but this is pretty darn good grammar and writing ability for a 12 year old.
Old 03-27-02, 07:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy

I usually ride on a sidewalk, as motorists are rather mean in Orlando (I can't compare, but I have stories I can tell!) I will ride on the street if there is more than enough room for me and a car to pass without going over the centerline.

As for the grammar, right on Gus, I am in 10th grade and still am having trouble with spelling. Oh well....you don't need to know how to spell or write to ride a bike, I suppose...
Old 03-28-02, 02:42 AM
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the road, but if I had a child, would want the to be aware of the dangers everywhere.

Sidewalk (pavement to us Brits) is best at your age I think.

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 03-28-02, 06:19 AM
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm... this is a tough call as i think it depends on the local conditions and what the street is like and how fast the cars drive, etc.

on the one hand: i think somewhere around age 12 (i don't have kids and it's takes a while to think back that far since i'm 31), you are 'adult' enough to learn the right way to cycle and should be able to properly learn to safely ride in the street...

on the other hand: there are some streets where the cars are really fast and the drivers very unfriendly - i.e. if it's a multi-lane 40mph+ zone i'd vote for the sidewalk... if it's a basic residential street where kids are already playing soccer and rollerblading in the street anyway, then i think the street is more appropriate.

i'd say you're definitely on the right track asking some more experienced adults (the forum and your dad) what's the safe and best action...

just an aside: as far as riding on the sidewalk goes, it's safe to an extent, but the faster and more often and longer distance you ride, the greater the chances for problems with pedestrians or cars pulling onto or off the street... if you're just riding down the street to a friend's house the sidewalk's probably not bad... but if you're riding 2 miles every day to school and back the street's got some advantages.

again, it all depends on the specific situation and almost nothing is every black and white... but i commend you for not only trying to do the safe as well as legal thing and learn about cycling, but also doing so in such an intelligent and mature way!
Old 03-28-02, 10:56 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
My sons are 17 and [almost] 13. They routinely ride on residential streets with 25mph/40kph speed limits. When they need to travel on faster streets, I encourage them to select routes with wide shoulders or bike lanes. In either fast or heavy traffic, I encourage them to make two-part far-side turns, although both are learning how (and when) to make vehicular far-side turns.

Buy or borrow a good bicycling book, such as Franklin (U.K.), Forester, or Allen. Better yet, take an "Effective Cycling" course if one is offered in your area. Students under 16 usually need parental permission or accompaniment, but it might not hurt Mom or Dad to take a refresher course, anyway.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-28-02, 02:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but also, when riding on the street, you are expected to follow all traffic signs and signals, right?
Old 03-28-02, 02:24 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
In most states of Australia, the law prohibits cycling on the footpath by people over 12 years of age. Personally, I think the standard of cycling education provided for children is absolutely dismal. The truth of the matter is, if you know how to behave safely in traffic, the road is much safer in virtually all situations. However, most education does not teach this, and instead preaches "get out of everybody else's way".

I think you should start the transition gradually by using quiet back streets and gradually working your way up. I honestly believe that once you get used to it, you will find the road much safer. Remeber that only about 3% of cycling/car accidents are caused by the cyclist being hit from behind. The happen in situations where their paths cross directly. Note here that the footpath/sidewalk has a greater amount of the latter because of driveways, parking lots etc.

That is all.
Old 03-29-02, 12:46 PM
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around where I live I see a lot of kids out riding their bikes on the sidewalks, who are way too old to be dong so. I think after the age of 9 or ten a kid can certainly ride on the road, if it's not a busy street with lots of traffic. I frequently have near misses with 12 year old kids zooming along the sidewalk, completely oblivious to pedestrians. And often, I see parents out with their kids, all on bikes, letting the kids go on the sidewalk while WE are supposed to let them by. I'm sorry, but that's dangerous. I really think parents are copping out by not teaching their kids to ride bikes safely on the road, to obey the rules and respect both drivers AND pedestrians.
Old 03-29-02, 08:52 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Reece12
Hi,

I am 12 years old and am not sure about cycling on the road.

What do you think about kids cycling on the road ?

Reece,

Take Effective Cycling courses. They will teach you how to ride on the road and give you confidence.

The sidewalk is not a safe place to ride.

:thumbup:
Old 03-29-02, 09:28 PM
opinionated SOB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with Gus in questioning the validity of Reece12. Few 12-year-olds write that clearly and even fewer would bother to investigate this subject (that requires using a search engine to find this place).

Last edited by cycletourist; 03-29-02 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-30-02, 02:30 AM

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Originally posted by cycletourist
I'm with Gus in questioning the validity of Reece12. Few 12-year-olds write that clearly and even fewer would bother to investigate this subject (that requires using a search engine to find this place).
I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. He may be a troll, but he's a bit more convincing than most trolls I've seen. It is possible for a 12 year old to have good grammar, even if it's not massively common.

That is all.
Old 03-30-02, 06:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does it really matter if he is faking being 12 year old? Maybe he's just one of those Geniuses (don't know how to spell that word either) who is just a natural at english and knows 7 different languages...
Old 03-31-02, 04:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I told my dad what you guys wrote about my writing.
He said that I should just be happy that you think my writing is that good and not worry about anything else.

I am here to talk about my riding my bike and not my writing but since you guys started it, I read ALOT. I have been reading since I was 4 years old and I write alot of stories. Writing and reading for me are easy. Math is very difficult for me and I got held back a grade because of it. All my friends got to move to the next grade and I am in the same grade as my younger brother. I hate it and I feel stupid.

Are you happy now ???

I am sorry that I even came here. I thought this was just to talk about riding bikes. I did not insult any of you people who talked nasty about me or said I was not who I say I am. I am 12 and I don't care if you believe it or not !!

Reece
Old 03-31-02, 05:13 PM

I am sorry that I even came here. I thought this was just to talk about riding bikes. I did not insult any of you people who talked nasty about me or said I was not who I say I am. I am 12 and I don't care if you believe it or not !!
Reece, we've had a lot of teenagers and so on come on to the boards and do nothing but swear, that is why some of us found it difficult to believe you were actually 12. Either way, it doesn't really matter, you started a good discussion and I hope you stick around.

That is all.
Old 03-31-02, 08:47 PM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say your writing is better then mine, and im twice as old as you! I hope you stick around the forums, I'm sure you will find alot of useful information here.

I agree with others, you do belong on the road, it is safer. Stay away from the sidewalks, drivers do not expect you to be there. Also, check with your local city, or ask your dad about a bicycle safety / effective cycling course. I have tought kids 5 - 15 on riding a bike with traffic, on the road, and basic bicycle safety. My city offers the course for free, and thoes who complete it recive a free helmet. You also get free food, well worth one day of your life.

What ever you do, keep on riding, you cant give it up at such a young age!
Old 03-31-02, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
look what you've done, guys! You've scared him away! sheesh...people...

Anyway, stick around, kid, I need another dude around here thats my age.

And did Joe Say free food? I'm in! woo! yeah!
Old 03-31-02, 09:52 PM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I told my dad what you guys wrote about my writing.
He said that I should just be happy that you think my writing is that good and not worry about anything else.....

.....I am sorry that I even came here. I thought this was just to talk about riding bikes. I did not insult any of you people who talked nasty about me or said I was not who I say I am. I am 12 and I don't care if you believe it or not !!

Reece
Reece, really, I'm sorry my compliment insulted you. I think your writing ability is outstanding, really. Please stick around and continue to be part of our forum here.
Old 04-01-02, 12:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Reece
Why are people getting touchy about this chap's posting? Whether he's 12 or 52 or whatever it makes no difference. His points are valid.

Some teenagers are not rude, don't swear and can actually read and write.

So of us seem to be more expert at riding on our high horses than our bicycles.

Stick aroud Reece, you're always welcome.

Happy April 1.
Old 04-01-02, 11:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I don't understand - just because I don't swear and am not rude, people think that there is no way that I could be a kid.

This forum is supposed to be to talk about bikes not English skills.
Just because my grammar might be better than some adults, they think that I am some troll.

Anyway, thanks for your note

Reece
Old 04-01-02, 11:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gus - it was not your compliment that made me angry. It was the two people afterwards who I think did not understand that it was a compliment.

Then they started to make comments and asking if I was a troll because my English was too good for a 12 year old.

Thank you for what you said. I was really happy and told my parents about it.

Reece
Old 04-01-02, 11:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by cycletourist
Gus was not questioning me being 12. Maybe you should read his first note to me and then the one he just wrote. And you are wrong about 12 year olds writing this clearly. I have entered lots of kids writing competitions and you would be pretty amazed at how good the writing is. That is because we put alot of work into our writing and we enjoy it. Most people do really well if they really love doing something.

As for finding this forum and using a search engine - what's hard about that?? You go to Google, you type in Bike Forum and you get a bunch of listings. It isn't exactly rocket science !!!!!!!

Reece
Old 04-01-02, 06:00 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reece,

You have to learn to understand the adult mind.

We have become defensive about other adults deceiving us. But in the long run, you'll find we are really ok!

:thumbup:
Old 04-01-02, 07:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Littlebigman,

Thanks for your note.
Trying to understand adults is not easy ! They are complicated. Girls are even more difficult to understand !!!!!!! Does that ever get easier ?
From what my dad said, no.

Anyway, I think I will stick around. I think I could learn alot here about cycling and that is what I came for. I just have to learn to not react so strong to stuff sometimes but when you get blamed for something that you didn't do, it is hard.

talk to you later,

Reece
Old 04-01-02, 07:34 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Girls are even more difficult to understand !!!!!!! Does that ever get easier ?
Don't ask me!

I'm still trying to figure them out!

:confused:

Take it easy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.