Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Trek Soho S

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 06:45 PM

Bikes: Electra Rat Rod- Electra Cruiser1-Trek Soho S (coming soon)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Soho S

Need some opinions about this bike since it will be my first ss road/commuter bike. What's the max weight limit? I'm at 250 right now and dropping slooowly.
I also hear the stock pedals are crap.
EDIT: Trek got back to me, the weight limit is 250, go figure.

Last edited by cruisehard; 10-25-10 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-26-10, 08:38 AM

Bikes: Sales

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Descent bike. I've owned one since January. Only have about 2200 miles on it, but they've been trouble-free miles. I'm a heavier rider as well at about 220 pounds, but I hammer the hell out of the bike and zero issues. I think it will handle your weight just fine.

The only advice I have is to make sure the LBS trues the wheels right for you; they are 32-spoke, 3x laced, but machine built. I took delivery of my bike, jumped a bunch of curbs, rode it like I stole it and then took it right back to the LBS the next day and had them re-true the wheels...since then, no issues.

The gearing, at 44-17, is near spot on. I can hammer up just about anything but the steepest climbs, and I spin out on the flats somewhere between 18-21 MPH. And it's fairly light weight...probably somewhere @ 21-23 pounds.

Oh, one thing: the bike gets A LOT of attention. It's very stealthy and looks GREAT. I can't go more than a couple days without someone asking what it is, how cool it looks, etc, etc.

If you read the Q&A's on Trek's website for the bike, they claim they built this to be a tough commuter. I thought this was marketing BS at first, but it's held up to my (near) daily abuse. Bottom line: I recommend it...it's surpased my expectations for a $550 mass-produced Trek.

Later...

EDIT: yes, the stock pedals are JUNK. I didn't leave the bike shop without installing some SPD's

Last edited by 04sctj; 10-26-10 at 08:40 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-27-10, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, thanks for the reply! I'm sold.
Old 10-27-10, 12:17 PM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Have you ridden one?

The geometry was way too relaxed for me. Is that what you are looking for?

I ended up getting a bike more aggresive road geometry, and then a track bike.

Maybe you like the relaxed upright geometry of the Soho. Just make sure you try other bikes adn are sure this is the style for you. Enjoy...
Old 10-27-10, 03:55 PM
("'\( *,..,*)/"')

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Steel| IRO Mark V fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Have you ridden one?

Maybe you like the relaxed upright geometry of the Soho. Just make sure you try other bikes adn are sure this is the style for you. Enjoy...
Yes, it's very relaxed. I've ended up switching to a more aggressive track frame. It's a great bike and yes, the pedals are crap. Pick up some nice platform pedals.
Old 10-27-10, 08:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Have you ridden one?

I got to ride one around the parking lot at my LBS. I dig the geo alot, and the saddle was surprisingly comfortable... and I'm not so hunched over on it. I'm used to riding in a upright position, all my bikes have been bmx and cruisers. I'll have to get used to the lightness and the 700c tires. I just hope the aluminum frame with high pressure tires don't rattle all my teeth out.

I could use some pedal recommendations since I'm new to road/commuter bikes.

Last edited by cruisehard; 10-27-10 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 08:51 PM
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Lance has one...
Old 10-27-10, 09:09 PM
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
used to have two....
Old 10-27-10, 09:13 PM

Bikes: 2010 Stevens Gran Turismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one. I agree with other people here, if you have any plans of getting into serious biking, than the Soho S is not for you. I wish I had bought a more aggressive frame.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with the bike. I ride it 40 miles round trip some days. It can take a beating.
Old 10-27-10, 11:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happypills
Lance has one...
What the crap does that mean? Lance who??
Old 10-27-10, 11:45 PM

Bikes: 2010 Wabi Lightning, 2014 Brompton S2L-X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got one about 2 months ago. My review below:

Pros: brakes are excellent, puncture resistant tires, great gear ratio with wide handles to climb hills, and a very comfortable seat
Cons: lost interest in the frame, a bit heavy of 22lbs, can't get good cadence

I am planning to sell mine to get a more aggressive bike.
Old 10-28-10, 01:55 AM
THE STUFFED

Originally Posted by cruisehard
What the crap does that mean? Lance who??
Why Lance Dontyouknowbettertogoogleityoudummystrong.
Old 10-28-10, 02:12 AM
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i think it's a perfect "cycle your ass off" bike

plus the top tube bumpers are just ****ing brilliant. I want to stick long rubber strips on my tt but it would look terrible. the soho's look great.
Old 10-28-10, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Sales

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got to ride one around the parking lot at my LBS. I dig the geo alot, and the saddle was surprisingly comfortable... and I'm not so hunched over on it. I'm used to riding in a upright position, all my bikes have been bmx and cruisers. I'll have to get used to the lightness and the 700c tires. I just hope the aluminum frame with high pressure tires don't rattle all my teeth out.

I'm probably not the best to give pedal recommendations, since you're new (or will be) to commuting. I ride Shimano SPD's on everything (including my dedicated fixed gear bike). I'm just used to them. Some will say that clipless pedals are not good for single speed/fixed, but I don't really know any different after being "converted" to them back in '96.

As far as the relaxed geometry...YES, it is relaxed...the compact frame is just like most mountain bike frames. I happen to like it. I've been riding this bike a lot lately (in fact, haven't rode anything else to work for the past 2 weeks...20 miles round-trip each day). As being an aluminum frame, Trek seemed to do their homework on harshness. It's farily buzz free on all but the roughest rodes.

The only thing that I would caution is starting out with a single speed if you're new (or new to commuting). Examine the rides/routes you would normally take. Even though the gearing is set up for just about anything, a single speed will take a lot out of you when you get to the "tired" point. Just realize you have no other gears...it's either grind it out in the saddle, or stand up and push it. After a long hard day at work, it can still sneak up on me and kick my a*s. But even with that in mind, the Soho S is a VERY COOL, VERY CAPABLE bike that I'd still recommend.

Cheers!
Old 10-28-10, 08:13 AM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

Then it sounds like the right bike for you (realizing that if you get into biking you will outgrow it).

For pedals, get some "clipless" pedals - any SPD shoe and pedal will work. It makes a huge difference. If you don't like the idea of being locked into your pedal, then you are probably fine with what is on the bike, or whatever the LBS recommends for an upgrade.
Old 10-28-10, 10:48 AM
BM1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had one for over a year. I am also 250, sometimes more. The bike will hold up. All the feedback here is accurate, the pros and cons. I have had no issues except 3 flats in the year. But I actually thought the stock saddle was really uncomfortable and swapped it out.
Old 10-28-10, 11:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04sctj
I'm probably not the best to give pedal recommendations, since you're new (or will be) to commuting. I ride Shimano SPD's on everything (including my dedicated fixed gear bike). I'm just used to them. Some will say that clipless pedals are not good for single speed/fixed, but I don't really know any different after being "converted" to them back in '96.

As far as the relaxed geometry...YES, it is relaxed...the compact frame is just like most mountain bike frames. I happen to like it. I've been riding this bike a lot lately (in fact, haven't rode anything else to work for the past 2 weeks...20 miles round-trip each day). As being an aluminum frame, Trek seemed to do their homework on harshness. It's farily buzz free on all but the roughest rodes.

The only thing that I would caution is starting out with a single speed if you're new (or new to commuting). Examine the rides/routes you would normally take. Even though the gearing is set up for just about anything, a single speed will take a lot out of you when you get to the "tired" point. Just realize you have no other gears...it's either grind it out in the saddle, or stand up and push it. After a long hard day at work, it can still sneak up on me and kick my a*s. But even with that in mind, the Soho S is a VERY COOL, VERY CAPABLE bike that I'd still recommend.

Cheers!
It's good to know my teeth won't be rattled out my head...to much. The terrain around here is mostly flat, except one fairly large and steep hill that I would have to walk up half way regardless of gears.

Did you just call me a dummy happypills?! I'm well aware of who Lance is...just didn't know he also rode a Soho. But thanks anyway for the wonderful info.

Last edited by cruisehard; 10-28-10 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-28-10, 02:05 PM
THE STUFFED

Did you just call me a dummy happypills?! I'm well aware of who Lance is...just didn't know he also rode a Soho. But thanks anyway for the wonderful info.
Nope Lance's name did.
Old 10-28-10, 02:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happypills
Nope Lance's name did.
Wow...I really don't know what to say about that.

Anyways, thanks to those who contributed to this thread...can't wait to play in traffic when I get the Soho.

Last edited by cruisehard; 10-28-10 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Specialized RoubaixComp27, Specialized Epic Marathon, GT Avalanche, Trek Soho S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh 250-ish. I have a Soho-S with Shimano R540 and a 15t Surly back there. I have bikes in CF, chromo, and aluminum. I say don't fret the weight-limit or an aluminum bike feeling too stiff to rattle 250-pounders like us. Our poundage tends to "mute" most road rattles, if not all, no matter what time of material the frameset is....and I often ride it in fixed with 100~120psi in the clinchers. Its blast....I think you'll like it.
Old 10-28-10, 07:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paipo
I weigh 250-ish. I have a Soho-S with Shimano R540 and a 15t Surly back there. I have bikes in CF, chromo, and aluminum. I say don't fret the weight-limit or an aluminum bike feeling too stiff to rattle 250-pounders like us. Our poundage tends to "mute" most road rattles, if not all, no matter what time of material the frameset is....and I often ride it in fixed with 100~120psi in the clinchers. Its blast....I think you'll like it.
Awesome man, that's good to know!
Old 02-27-11, 03:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i really like this bike. i want to get one this summer. however, i've called all the local bike shops (houston) that carry trek and no one has it in stock. i'd really like to ride one first. if anyone in or near sugar land, tx has a soho s, let me know, i'd like to check it out.