Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Bit of Road Rash to End the Season

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 04:43 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Missed clipping in my left shoe after mounting and took a slow motion fall to port. After an initial evaluation determined no broken bones resumed my start and was shocked to find things were no longer arranged appropriately as there seemed to have occurred a dislocation of sorts in my crotch area. Fortunately when I dismounted and reassessed the situation I saw that my seat had rotated around 15 degrees to starboard. Phew! That was a relief! First tumble in two years. That let's me be worry-free for a fair amount of future riding.
Old 10-28-10, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Whoa! What a tough day!

You had problems from the balls of your feet all the way up to the ....saddle.

Hope you've got it all sorted out and everything is shipshape!
Old 10-28-10, 06:45 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry to read about the crash, good to read that the problem on the poop deck is squared away.

Brad
Old 10-28-10, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Almost exactly the same thing happened to me a few years ago. A failed clip-out fall, resulting in a twisted seat. I was about five miles from home. That was a difficult trip back to base.
Old 10-28-10, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar fall, unclipped the wrong side. As I fell I jerked the bike out from under and raised it up off the ground. On the bounce the left brifter clipped the ground and got a little scraped but the rest of the bike was fine. Thankfully my shoulder was fine, it was padded by my bruised ego!!
Old 10-29-10, 12:30 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hopefully you have listened to the postings about a Wedge to carry the puncture repair tools---and a Multi tool. I often wonder why I carry one and it is for those silly little adjustments that are required while out on the bike- that they are needed.

Only fall I have had on the road bike was due to not being clipped in. When i put pressure on the pedal- the foot slipped off and Tombay occured. Luckily at Low speed and onto grass.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-29-10, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thinking that one's antimony has been shifted out of wack by a fall would sure create a faster heart rate. Glad it was just the seat ajar.
Old 10-29-10, 08:24 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
Missed clipping in my left shoe after mounting and took a slow motion fall to port. After an initial evaluation determined no broken bones resumed my start and was shocked to find things were no longer arranged appropriately as there seemed to have occurred a dislocation of sorts in my crotch area. Fortunately when I dismounted and reassessed the situation I saw that my seat had rotated around 15 degrees to starboard. Phew! That was a relief! First tumble in two years. That let's me be worry-free for a fair amount of future riding.
Hmmm, no wonder it felt wrong! Isn't it funny that now we assume that equipment malfunctions are all anatomical and not mechanical? It is such a great relief to realize "Hey, its the bike and not me!". "Oh, joy".