Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Wide Road Bike Saddles

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-14, 11:11 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by HunkerDown
I recently had a professional fitting where I had the opportunity to learn the real width of my sit bones via their ass-o-meter. The fitter put me in a Specialized Romin Evo Pro at 168mm (cost $200) and I waved goodbye to my Fizik saddle and never looked back. Knowing the width of your sit bones is key to a properly fitted saddle and happier long-distance riding.

HD
You sure about the dimension? I have one of those and the largest size it comes in (according to the Spec. website) is 155mm. And it was only $120, so perhaps you have some sort of semi-custom / special order thing going on.
Old 04-14-14, 11:12 AM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You sure about the dimension? I have one of those and the largest size it comes in (according to the Spec. website) is 155mm. And it was only $120, so perhaps you have some sort of semi-custom / special order thing going on.
Nope, this is it. Romin Evo Pro:

Specialized Bicycle Components

Hope that helps.

HD
Old 04-14-14, 11:39 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
When I first started riding, I bought a cheap mountain bike. The seat on it was about like sitting on a 2x4, so I stuck a cruiser saddle on and that worked okay. Later, I bought my Raleigh Sojourn which came with a Brooks saddle. I discovered that first seat was uncomfortable because it was skinny, it was because it was a cheap piece of crap. So don't assume you need a wide seat because you have a wide butt- that may or may not correlate.

I've had that Brooks saddle on my Sojourn, and another Brooks saddle on my tandem. They have shaped themselves into different shapes with the same butt sitting on them, with varying degrees of comfort. I've got a similar Rivet saddle on my Sojourn now, and it is getting more comfortable as I go. Anyway, don't assume that Brooks is the universal answer, but it's a good start.
Old 04-14-14, 12:13 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by HunkerDown
Nope, this is it. Romin Evo Pro:

Specialized Bicycle Components

Hope that helps.

HD
I'll be jiggered, thanks. I wonder why they make the carbon railed version in a wider seat and the metal railed version not as wide.
Old 04-14-14, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This should be perfect!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
AIR_20140413_00000.jpg (97.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-14-14, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Over a period of several years, I went through a number of different saddles. In the end, I found that a more minimalist saddle with less padding was more comfortable to me than the big puffy gel seats I thought I would need because of my size. I ride the Selle Italia Max Flite now and love it.