Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Another PX-10

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another PX-10

How much work does this one need? It was at $200 an hour ago, and just jumped up to nearly $500. Plus shipping. Still worth it?

https://cgi.ebay.com/60cm-Peugeot-PX-...item2a0b688189
Old 11-01-10, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
My advice is to pass on it. There is a PX10 in your future, but it's not this one.
Old 11-02-10, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Don't feel bad that you missed it - Someone overpaid for this at $600 shipping included. -It's an incomplete "project" in the most common color.
Old 11-02-10, 04:25 PM

Bikes: large herd that needs thinning

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
+2, IMO seems overpriced by a whole bunch for a incomplete bike that appears quite worn.
Old 11-02-10, 04:46 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Some ebay auctions make no sense. This is an example.
Old 11-02-10, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I wonder if the crank set had anything to do with the final price.

Old 11-03-10, 04:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is it about the crankset? Isn't that Stronglight pretty typical on these bikes? Sorry, I'm new to this...

Also, here's another one that I've been looking at. Seems to be missing the original (Ideale?) saddle, but that's about it, allegedly. It's in my size and the price doesn't seem too bad. I'd just have to figure out a way to get it a few hundred miles north.

I was originally thinking about getting a Raleigh International or Professional, but these are beautiful bikes too and less costly (but without the Campy).
Old 11-03-10, 04:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It even has a rare "Stronghold Crank". Hah. I guess that's better than a stranglehold.

What's the difference between Types I and II?
Old 11-03-10, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
No idea what is meant by 'Type II' in the ad. The model changed over the years so maybe that is what the seller is referring to?

As for the cranks, PX-10's of this vintage came with Stronglight model 93's. The cranks on the ebay ad are different. Sometimes collectors go bonkers over certain cranks that are rare. I don't know if the crank in the ebay ad was something special or run-of-the-mill but I don't think it was the original crank. The stock saddle on these bikes was usually a Brooks Professional but I've heard of some using an Ideale as well.
Old 11-03-10, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Type II probably refers to the decal style. I needed a way to easily differentiate between head tube and seat tube style declas so I decided to cal them 'types'. Type I, II, III, IV, V etc....

https://cyclespeugeot.com/ModelID.html
Old 11-03-10, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Herculean
What is it about the crankset? Isn't that Stronglight pretty typical on these bikes? Sorry, I'm new to this...

Also, here's another one that I've been looking at. Seems to be missing the original (Ideale?) saddle, but that's about it, allegedly. It's in my size and the price doesn't seem too bad. I'd just have to figure out a way to get it a few hundred miles north.

I was originally thinking about getting a Raleigh International or Professional, but these are beautiful bikes too and less costly (but without the Campy).
The PX10's have a good rep, because there is a lot to recommend them: they feel fast, but not skitzy or harsh, and they are as good climbing as downhill.

$350 is reasonable - (and as we were marveling at in a separate thread, it's less than what SuperCourses bring lately!)
It would be nice if it had the saddle, but size/condition should be the preeminent considerations if you want to own one.
Old 11-03-10, 07:39 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Also, here's another one that I've been looking at.
Listed with 26" wheels? Is that just a tpyo? A slup of the fungers? A serious lack proofreading?
Old 11-03-10, 08:22 PM

What frame size are you looking for? Each bike you've shown us is a different size. Where are you located? The San Diego PX10 looks to be worth $350, so much so that I contacted him but received no reply. I thought it had sold.
Old 11-03-10, 10:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both bikes are about 60cm, which is basically what I'm looking for.

I'm in Berkeley. When did you contact him? I spoke with him on the phone this afternoon.

The 26" wheel designation was probably a mistake? He sent me two detailed photos and, to my amateur eye, it looks pretty good.
Old 11-03-10, 10:47 PM

I emailed him two weeks ago. It does look good in the one photo. He's asking $350 obo. Are you sure of the frame size? His "stepover" doesn't match his 24" frame. I'd have him check his measurements.
Old 11-04-10, 06:27 AM

Herculean -
If you are really interested in the bike and really want it, don't deliberate here any longer, or you'll certainly lose it.
Establish a time with the seller, then drive there cash in hand. Make an offer (up to the asking price if there are no other issues with it).

I know that is a whole lot of driving, but on the following day you'll forget all about the drive, and begin a long term relationship with your bike.
Old 11-05-10, 12:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are a few photos. What do you think? He's trying to work out the possibility of shipping it. I was hoping to have a friend in San Diego pick it up for me, but she won't be back there until Thanksgiving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
~ PX-10 Frame..jpg (97.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg
~ PX-10 Brakes..jpg (91.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-05-10, 05:38 AM

Hi Herc -

It appears to be in good condition, and all original except for the wheels which, judging from the raised rib in the tire, appear to be period clinchers. Many people actually prefer these to maintaining sew-up/glue-on tubular tires. (I went out and bought a second wheel set for mine for just that reason).

The crank looks like a Stronglight 93 - the common issue for these bikes- but I like the look of them better. I also like the high flange hubs on this one.

- Without being there, I can't really check the bike thoroughly: That's why I say it's well worth the price IF there are no other issues.

Also - I will point out that dis-assembly and packing by a novice owner, and subsequent shipping has huge potential for damage. You MIGHT end up with a damaged bike, and a big argument on who is at fault.
Old 11-05-10, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Overall it looks OK and $350 seems about right for PX in that condition. A few things have been changed but that seems to be reflected in the price. Rims look like clinchers (not bad), it has replacement brake levers, seat and seatpost.

Now, if you your interested in a NOS Super Competition CFX10 (PX10) frameset I know some one who has one...
Old 11-10-10, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, the guy in San Diego has been nice enough to hold it for me until my friend goes home for Thanksgiving. Her father, a professional cyclist, might actually just pack it up for me this week. We'll see.

Meanwhile, is this really a Super Competition? How can one tell? Is that the original color? Blech.
Old 11-10-10, 02:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, he reconfirmed that the wheels are 26". Does that present a problem? Is he measuring them incorrectly, or is something wrong here? He also assured me that the standover is 32". Isn't that too small for a 60 inch frame? Is it because of the 26" wheels. I'm confused.