Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Serious tubeless leak. Why?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Serious tubeless leak. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 01:44 PM
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replace my Conti 2.6 tubeless tires with Conti 2.1's. My front wheel would then always deflate every 2-3 days or so. I removed the tire and checked the rim but I can find no evidence of rim damage or any sign of damage to the tire. So I switched back to the original which I'd been using for 2 years. Tonight, barely 40 minutes after pumping it up to 50psi, it was flat! Two tires with the same problem? Unlikely perhaps. All I can think of is that the value is at fault and I'm willing to replace it.

Do you think it is likely the cause of my trouble?

If so, can I replace the valve and is there a particular size I need to ask for or is one-size-fits-all? My rims are Mavic 3.1 UST tubeless by the way. Is it possible to overhaul the valve or reseat it, and if so, would I need to use any form of sealent?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-04, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ok, now I am really out in the blue here cause I know nothing about tubeless tires, BUT, have you checked the connection rim/spokes for damages there?
Old 10-05-04, 07:04 PM
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be the valve, could be the tire not seating well. If it goes down in fourty minutes, you should be able to find the source of the leak with a handy tub of water.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 10-08-04, 01:34 AM
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was the valve. I got a replacement from the lbs and since then I've not had a deflation on the front wheel in 2 days so it looks ok now. I looked at the old valve and the rubber seal that fits on the inside of the rim was (a) a bit crusty with dirt, and (b) it seemed to have hardened a bit. Something to keep in mind if you use tubeless rims.