Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Advantage to reclining ability of copilot limo child seat?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-10, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi.

I'm looking for a seat for my first child and am wondering if the reclining feature of the copilot limo is something folks have found useful. I was thinking it might be nice for smaller children (mine will be 5 months before the weather is nice enough to try her out on the bike). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

- Bruce
Old 11-06-10, 11:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My kids always fall asleep on the bike and having the recline feature has been great for that. They are almost 3 years old before they stop sleeping on the bike rides. I think that the movement of the bike just lulls them to sleep.

At 5 months old, you are going to need that recline feature, although most are going to say no biking until 1 year old, because their necks aren't strong enough to support the weight of their head and a helmet. If you are going to give it a shot at 5 months, definitely only do it with the seat reclined.
Old 11-08-10, 11:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

I keep hearing different ages on when to start. I think I've heard of people putting a car seat in a trailer for an infant to start even earlier. We're in a pretty dense part of the city, though, so I think a seat will be the first try on our tandem.

One other thing I worry about with a seat is whether the helmet will make her head tuck forward too much to be comfortable. Any thoughts on that?
Old 11-10-10, 12:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people use a pillow behind the child's back that is short enough to allow the back of the helmet to hang over. It is something that must be done for trailers too. Honestly in your situations, I would recommend a Yepp Mini, front mounted seat. I think it would just be so much better for a small child to be between your arms. I have one and absolutely love it!
https://clevercycles.com/products/acc...child-seats/#_
Old 11-24-10, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
We had issues with the helmets and the bike store sold us these bern helmets https://www.bernunlimited.com/Product...elmetType=Snow which are more rounded like skateboard helmets than bike helmets so they don't stick as far back, our kids liked them a lot better.
I read lots of threads and such on age and waited until one year as that seemed to be a good average as when the neck muscles were ready. I found that the limo didn't recline very far so the neck still has to support a lot of the helmet weight.