Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

bicyclist killed by big rig on Alpine Road (Portola Valley) near I-280 this afternoon

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

bicyclist killed by big rig on Alpine Road (Portola Valley) near I-280 this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Details are sketchy right now. Hopefully the article will be updated as news comes in.
https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/s...y.php?id=18876
Old 11-04-10, 09:03 PM

Bikes: Caad 9.5, Madone 6 series, Speed Concept 7 series.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RIP.
Stay safe guys and gals.. =(
Old 11-05-10, 12:01 AM
8speed DinoSORAs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terrible news. My thought go out to everyone involved.

I first heard about the accident from a motorist whilst waiting at the Sandhill traffic lights
Hopefully a witness will come forward toshed some light on what happened.
Keep safe out there

Ed
Old 11-05-10, 12:04 AM
Insane cycling cook

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to drive by there everyday... Sad day indeed...

Heart felt feelings to the family
Old 11-05-10, 09:10 AM
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cyclist has been identified as Lauren Ward, 47. The driver reportedly "Did not see her". RIP Lauren.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 11-05-10, 10:53 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
https://www.mercurynews.com/ci_16528126

Los Altos Hills woman killed in collision with big-rig near Portola Valley

By Jesse Dungan
Daily News Staff Writer
San Jose Mercury News
Posted:11/05/2010 08:54:01 AM PDT

A 47-year-old woman from Los Altos Hills was killed in a collision with a big-rig on Alpine Road near Portola Valley on Thursday afternoon, and investigators said they are looking for witnesses to the "tragic accident."

Both Lauren Perdriau Ward and a 26-wheel truck were going west on Alpine Road and approaching Interstate 280 when they collided at about 3:40 p.m, said California Highway Patrol Officer Art Montiel. The big-rig was in the far right hand lane but before the highway onramp, according to Montiel, and the collision occurred on the left side of the truck. She was found between the right rear tires, Montiel said. There is no bike lane on Alpine Road. It is unclear whether the truck driver intended to enter the highway onramp or was continuing straight.

"At this point, we have no idea how it happened and no witnesses at this time," Montiel said Thursday night. "It appears it was just a tragic, tragic accident."

The driver of the big-rig stopped after the crash and provided a statement to investigators, but Montiel said the CHP is withholding it so as not to influence statements from other potential witnesses.

"It appears they were both traveling the same direction, westbound on Alpine, and for God knows what reason, she either ended up moving toward the truck or the truck moved to her," Montiel said.

Alpine Road is regularly used by bicyclists and it appears Ward was exercising when the crash occurred, Montiel said. She was wearing a helmet and sports clothes; a plastic water bottle was also found at the scene.

The truck driver is a man in his 40s and the vehicle belonged to Randazzo Enterprises, Montiel said. According to its website, Randazzo is a Castroville-based demolition contractor that serves northern and central California.

Anyone with information regarding the crash is asked to call the CHP at 650-369-6261.
Bay Area News Group staff writer Lisa Fernandez contributed to this report.
Old 11-05-10, 11:02 AM
Shameless Fred

Bikes: 07' Trek 2100 / 05' Trek Fuel 80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly enough, maybe an accident like this will help bring attention to that notorious intersection. Not really sure what they can do to make it more safe and efficient, but then again, I'm not a civil engineer. Very sad story, since I'm sure everybody on this forum has ridden through that intersection.
Old 11-05-10, 11:34 AM

Bikes: 1999 Seven Sola, 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2005 Trek Madone 5.2 SL, 2006 Merlin Works CR 3/2.5, 2009 Kona Ute, Spot Acme, 2017 Raleigh Roker Comp, 2016 Specialized Camber Expert 29

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The sightlines heading west toward 280 seem pretty clear to me. This part of the story puzzles me:

The big-rig was in the far right hand lane but before the highway onramp, according to Montiel, and the collision occurred on the left side of the truck. She was found between the right rear tires, Montiel said.
Does this mean she was sucked in underneath the truck from the left and ended up in the right rear tires? This is so sad there were no witnesses. The Pagemill and Alpine approaches to 280 are always a bit nervous for me, and this story gives me more reason to be very aware of the traffic on those stretches. RIP.
Old 11-05-10, 11:43 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The bike lane there is between the lanes of auto traffic. Autos on both left and right of a rider. Truck drifts left or a car drifts right. Lots of things can go wrong. It's a tragedy regardless of how or why.
Old 11-05-10, 11:45 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Alpine & I-280 has northbound on-ramps before the freeway and southbound on-ramps after the freeway. Could be the truck merged into the northbound on-ramp, passing to the right of the bicyclist who had to be going straight. Then the truck driver decided that he was heading for the wrong on-ramp and veered left into the bicyclist.
Old 11-05-10, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If that article is correct, it almost seems like she might have been passing the truck; thinking it was getting on the freeway.
Why else would they be positioned as described?

Very sad.
Old 11-05-10, 12:19 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Unlikely that the bicyclist passed the truck going uphill. More likely that the truck passed the bicyclist, then wobbled left for some reason.
Old 11-05-10, 02:27 PM
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 7rider
The Pagemill and Alpine approaches to 280 are always a bit nervous for me, and this story gives me more reason to be very aware of the traffic on those stretches. RIP.
Page Mill and 280 should definitely have traffic signals (or a large roundabout), or some better traffic control than stop signs.

- The delay in getting off the freeway during commute hours, particularity the AM peak hours for the 280 SB off ramp, is way way too high. Delaying drivers, and making them more hurried.
- The intersection covers a vast section of land (it's spread out) making some drivers confused about the order of arrivals, and going out of turn. I have almost been hit (in my car) from someone punching the gas pedal when it was not their turn, and I have seen a cyclist nearly run over by another car as well.

Why that intersection is not signalized is beyond me... The volume of cars, and bikes, is pretty high. Safety would be improved with signals.

Not sure about Alpine, as I never usually traverse that roadway segment during busy traffic hours.
Old 11-05-10, 02:45 PM
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Page Mill intersection is the one I tend to avoid. The layout is dreadful for cyclists travelling in either direction, nor is it great for motorists. I ride through the Alpine and Sand Hill crossings of 280 daily, and find Alpine Rd the least intimidating. When travelling West, I always move left well before the Northbound on-ramp and take a firm stance in one of the two lanes leading to the underpass. It seems like the victim of this incident could have been doing something similar, judging by the description in the news report above. How she came to be in a collision with the left side of the truck remains to be determined. What is surprising is that there are no witnesses at present - it is a busy enough location at that time in the afternoons.
Old 11-07-10, 07:27 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
We cyclists are very vulnerable, and being reminded too often by these accident reports makes me very sad and concerned.
My sympathy to her family and friends
Old 11-09-10, 01:36 PM
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
The trucker should have at the minimum class A license revoked permanently.
Old 12-21-10, 04:01 PM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
The CHP has now stated that the cyclist was at fault and the big-rig driver did nothing wrong.

https://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_1...ce=most_viewed

Because of the less-than-stellar writing in the article (not to mention that the entire CHP report was not released), it isn't at all clear what really happened. However, it smells fishy to me, if for no other reason than it appears that the only source of information is the truck driver.
Old 12-21-10, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
This is a strange story. As I understand it, she was hit by the drivers side of the trailer as they were approaching 280. I can't understand how it happened, but it seems like he may have been slowing to turn, and she passed him on the right and he swung out and hit her. Anyone familiar with the area? Or know more?
Old 12-21-10, 04:39 PM
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
if for no other reason than it appears that the only source of information is the truck driver.
That's what I got from it, as well.

Sure is easy to place the blame on the dead.

Originally Posted by hammond9705
I can't understand how it happened, but it seems like he may have been slowing to turn, and she passed him on the right and he swung out and hit her.
Sounds a hell of a lot like he was changing lanes and hit her. But since he claimed to have checked his mirrors, there's no way he could have been at fault! Of course, she just happened to randomly lay it down in front of a stampede of 22.5" tires.

Sigh.
Old 12-21-10, 05:18 PM
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This is as far as I can figure it:

It's claimed that she "turned unsafely," but why would she? There's no place to turn that isn't an onramp or an offramp. Cars and trucks are going to be the ones changing lanes, either to enter or exit turning lanes. It seems much more plausible that he turned into her, be it malice or negligence.
Old 12-21-10, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I don't think we should have expected otherwise...

I think conduct of any motorist must be egregious and that there must be credible witnesses to attest to this for a bicyclist to get a favorable accident report. If you aren’t drunk and have a license/insurance and seem somehow respectable—if you hit a bicyclist you really have nothing to fear in a police report. Any ambiguity will be resolved in your favor by blaming a lawfully riding bicyclist for something or anything he/she may have done—i.e., switching a lane, biking too fast (or slow), or somehow not being seen.

Furthermore, if you motorist says the magic words, “I signaled and I never saw him/her” the officer will feel sympathy and there will be further cause to blame the cyclist.

I think law enforcement culture isn’t a bicycling one. I’d guess there are not a whole lot of them out riding in their free time. Maybe this is because their occupation makes them suspicious by nature and they don’t like feeling vulnerable—and as bicyclists we do have to have a fair amount of faith and trust. I view police as more the camping, fishing, ball sports, and motorized recreational types. I know this is stereotyping, and there are certainly exceptions, but it’s just a feeling I have. I’ll bet if you took a poll, most police officers probably think we’re all a bit crazy and wouldn’t have any problem with bicycles being banned entirely from roadways.
Old 12-21-10, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Super6, Highball, BSB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
His 3rd mva involving a fatality? I hope the police considered the driver's account with much skepticism and relied more on objective evidence. Regardless, rip and good luck to parents' lawyer in finding answers.
Old 12-21-10, 09:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bike around the area a lot and I am extremely careful around that particular junction, especially when going westbound. Not only do cyclists have to filter to the left from the right lane (which goes on 280S), they have to do it under the 280 overpass. That means cyclists are relying on drivers to see into the dark (if driving in daytime) with daylight-adjusted eyes. Not a good situation to be in at all! When I'm at that junction, I'm assuming the drivers do not see me and act accordingly.
Old 12-22-10, 12:30 PM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Just read the article again, and if it is accurate as to what the CHP report says (not a safe assumprion, but it's all I have to go by so far), then the report makes no sense at all. The only info the CHP has comes from the driver, who says he was moving into the lane to get onto I-280 south and was looking in his righht-hand mirror. If he is merging right, that is the proper thing for him to be doing, but it also means he cannot know what is going on along the left side of his truck. So far, nothing criminal or even negligent here. (If he was merging left, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish, but it sounds like he was merging right to get onto the freeway.)

The driver then looks up and feels a bump - he doesn't see a thing, he feels the bump and realizes he hit the cyclist. At least he stopped - that's worth something.

However, this all leads to an obvious question - if the driver saw nothing (which is what the article says he says), and there is no other evidence from which to deduce what the cyclist did (and the article doesn't state any), how the hell can the CHP even begin to have a clue as to how the truck came to hit the cyclist? Answer - they can't. The supposed right turn by the cyclist is no more than conjecture.

Unless, of course, the answer is hidden in the redacted part of the report that is being withheld for "legal" reasons (and I'd like to know what the heck those are) or the reporter and/or editor left something out or got something wrong (a very real possibility).

In any event, this no longer smells fishy. It stinks to high heaven. It is entirely possible that the driver is completely blameless in this tragedy (I doubt it, but it's possible). But what has been reported about the CHP's report certainly does not establish that. From the available information, I can understand why the CHP would conclude that there is not enough here to cite the driver or hold him criminally responsible - "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" and all that - but there is nowhere near enough information to exonerate the driver, either. So why not say there is not enough info to cite or charge, and leave it at that? With all due respect to the CHP and to every cop who ever had to report on a serious accident, you aren't the jury. Please stop acting like it.

So that leaves a family that has suffered a huge loss for no good reason and all of us to deal with a guy who drives the biggest vehicle on the road who just happens to a be a magnet for people to run into and die. Yup, something stinks here.
Old 12-22-10, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Biking Shearer

I enjoyed reading your thoughtful posts. I agree with your questioning why the CHP felt compelled to reach a conclusion as to fault when so much seems murky at best.

I'm angry that in my own relatively minor collision the police gave opinion that I was at fault when it can be very plausibly argued I wasn't. I don't undertand why they can just leave it blank if it isn't clear cut or they don't really know.

The lawyer I spoke with regarding my situation said that a police finding as to fault is not admissible evidence in court proceedings. However, a fault finding against a cyclist makes it difficult to recover from a driver's insurance w/o having to resort to court proceedings...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.