Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

PerformanceBike -> Shipping to Canada

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 02:54 PM
Canadian Commuter

Bikes: Iron Horse Maverick '03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice. I'm from Winnipeg, and many of the cycling products here are way overpriced. So naturally many of the items at PerformanceBike would be much cheaper, even after conversion (plus our dollar is doing pretty good these days).

After emailing performance bike about possibly custom charges.. they replied with this:

Originally Posted by CustomerServiceRep
Dear Mr. XXXXX,

You will be billed 7% GST, a $5 processing fee, and duty based on the item (most clothing is 17.5% and most components 7.5%) for orders over US $17 by Canadian Customs. For items shipped FedEx, you will be contacted by FedEx concerning a brokerage fee and collection of GST and duties.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXX
Performance Customer Service
17.5% sounds like an awful lot! Do any other Canadians on the board have experience buying from Performance Bike? Did you use US Mail or Fedex?

Appreciate any advice/info,
-xan-
Old 10-06-04, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most or all of the buying I do is from Ebay. I just received a Parcel from the U.K. it was a long sleeve jersey. The Jersey came in a padded envelope and it was marked bicycle spares and there was no addition charges. The package had a customs decleration sticker with 24 U.K. pounds on it as well.

I normally ask for the packages to be Shipped USPS only. FedX and UPS charge outragous brokerage fees while the USPS stuff goed through Canada Post and there fee is ususally $5.00. I prefer this, because alot of the times I am at work when it arrives and with Canada Post they just put a card in the mailbox and I can pick it up from the nearest post office any time.

Clothing has the highest duties, with frames being 5% and a whole bike being 3%. Clothing is difficult to buy online in Canada, but bike parts can be had from a few good online places.
Old 10-06-04, 09:08 PM
Cornucopia of Awesomeness

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't used performance, but I have had experience with Nashbar.
I placed a $400-ish order with them a few months ago and had no problems with customs or shipping. Bike parts aren't charged duty, just GST. Well, at least in BC there's no PST on bike parts. My order was a mix of parts, accessories and clothing, but is was shipped as "bike parts" and i wasn't charged duty.
Definetly get it shipped USPS, or failing that FedEx ground. UPS brokerage fees are ridiculous. However, you won't get a tracking number with USPS, but the $5 brokerage is worth it.
If you're worried about shipping and duties, you could try www.bikeroom.com instead. They've got pretty decent prices and they ship from BC.