Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

New Diet and Training.

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

New Diet and Training.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 11:31 PM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Diet and Training.

I'm looking to just generally improve my health. I'm pretty healthy right now, but a little weak all around (for what I would like to do). Basically I'm a little soft and would like to increase my aerobic capacity. I'm in college at CSU, I'm looking to be on the Rams Cycling team this spring (road racing). I've done some racing before, but since last winter (hockey season) like I said I've gotten a little "soft". I'm not fat, I'm like 6'1" - 6'2" and weigh about 185, although I don't weigh myself everyday (at all....). I'm looking to find a good diet plan to be combined with a good cycling training program. What kinds of food should I eat? I've never actually tried to eat healthy before. I can basically eat whatever I want and I'm active enough to stay at this weight or below, but I'd like to lose the gut because I don't want to drag it up the mountains on a bike. (Whats the point of having a super light bike if YOU have extra weight). I figure if I lost ten pounds off of me, that a CRAP load more than I could ever get a bike to lose. So what I'm basically looking for is a diet and some kind of training plan to get me in shape for spring. The diet will start as soon as I establish from you guys what would be good and the training will start next week. I'd like to be able to be presentable for the start of team rides, etc. I'm obviously not going to nationals or going to be at the front of the back, but I'd like to be able to keep up to the point of not looking like a total slob. By the way, I don't actually have my road bike out hear yet, but I just bought cheap road bars / shifters / brake levers for my Giant Rincon Moutain Bike. It has 1.5in Slick tires. Its no Ferrari, but the geometry is pretty close to being similiar to my road bike, maybe more aero, as the frame is bigger than I would buy for a road bike... Someone help me? I'll answer any questions or do anything if it will make it easier to help me.
Old 10-07-04, 12:29 AM

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
condense this down to the salient points and what your goals are....too much to read!
Old 10-07-04, 11:20 AM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah. I was tired when I wrote that.

GOAL: Be in shape for collegiate cycling team in spring.

Looking for:

- Diet Ideas
- Ride / Training Schedule

Current Condition:

6'2", ~185. A little soft. Looking to lose some weight / slim and trim up.

That was easy....
Old 10-07-04, 02:42 PM
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all spelled out in excellent detail in Chris Carmichael's book The Ultimate Ride. I highly recommend it.

Dave
Old 10-07-04, 06:28 PM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It'll help me set up a weekly ride and diet schedule? 'cause that would be awesome, whether I like him or not. I'll have to see if the library here has it (CSU). Any other input?
Old 10-07-04, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12191 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Hi.
I'm a big believer in base miles. It'll eat up some of that gut, too.
Lots of miles at an easy pace. Eat lots of fruits and veggies.
And talk to your coach. He can see you, and will have a much better idea than we would about what you need to be doing for training.
Old 10-07-04, 07:17 PM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried to contact my coach. He does training stuff, for like 100 bucks a month. I can't afford that....