Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Newbie from Saskatchewan

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Newbie from Saskatchewan

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 10:22 AM
clevernamehere

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Newbie from Saskatchewan

I just found this list the other day. After snooping around a bit I figured it looks like a pretty interesting group.

I've been a "fair weather biker" for several years, but finally decided to get more serious with commuting to work this year. I decided to cancel the plates on my car to force myself to ride to work. The round trip is 23km (14mi).

I look forward to some interesting conversations in the future & thank all those who have gone before me on this list for the valuable archive resource that has resulted.

... Tony

Old 10-08-04, 09:59 AM
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Check out the commuting forum. Lots of good discussion going on there. Good way to start commuting, by ditching the car. How about winter? Those cold winters on the prairie can be brutal. Ride prepared.

'bent Brian
Old 10-09-04, 08:53 AM
clevernamehere

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My original plan was to licence the car November through March.
Now after not missing a day since June, I kinda hate to quit riding.
The discussions on the commuting forum are inspiring me to seriously consider extending my cycling season and maybe, just maybe go through the winter. I'll have to take it as it comes.

I've been thinking of picking up a set of studded tires - even if they extend my cycling by a month, they'll pay for themselves.

Tony

Old 10-11-04, 09:25 AM
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck on your winter commuting. Keep us posted as to how it works out!

'bent Brian
Old 10-11-04, 10:26 AM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used to commute through the winter, but I had the choice of taking a bus for a few days in the event of a snowstorm. Once the roads were ploughed I was back on the bike and didnt bother with studded tires. I had a 3 speed beater for the winter. My son bikes though the winter regardless of conditions and he uses Nokian studded tires.