Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I'm a fan of the Idaho Bike Laws

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 11:14 AM
Pilot

Bikes: Giant TCR C1, Jamis Ventura, Davidson, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In Idaho, as many of you know, the stop sign means that you yield and the stop light (when it is red) is equal to the stop sign, i.e. you stop and then go if it is clear.

To make my intentions clear to the drivers behind me I wear a shirt that states these laws in graphical form and big enough for them to see clearly. I want to communicate with others on the road and I believe that this helps.
Old 11-12-10, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davisstraub
In Idaho, as many of you know, the stop sign means that you yield and the stop light (when it is red) is equal to the stop sign, i.e. you stop and then go if it is clear.

To make my intentions clear to the drivers behind me I wear a shirt that states these laws in graphical form and big enough for them to see clearly. I want to communicate with others on the road and I believe that this helps.
I only use 1 finger to communicate. Anything extra is a waste of effort.
Old 11-12-10, 11:34 AM
Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since they out weigh me by an order of magnitude I try to keep it on a friendlier level.
Old 11-12-10, 11:47 AM
High Roller

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The majority of Idaho motorists, and even many Idaho cyclists, are unaware of this statute. I recommend following it with some discretion.

Old 11-12-10, 12:19 PM
Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. That's why I'm trying to educate drivers and others with the billboard on my back. One small step. Of course, drivers may still hold it against me when I do what the Idaho laws allow me to do (as they have to follow stricter laws).
Old 11-12-10, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Idaho laws don't apply in California. Although if most people in Idaho don't know what the law is, Cathedral Citites might not call your bluff.

You wrote: "to make my intentions clear to the drivers behind me ..."

Commuting home one day, I was starting to stop for a light I knew was going to turn red, when the driver to my right ran it. So I sprinted along through the intersection. We were crossing a one-way road, and all traffic would be coming from the right, so this car provided me with a rolling road block. The inconvenienced drivers with the right-of-way probably didn't even see me.

It would be nice if there was a hand signal for cyclists to say to motorists: "let's run this one together."
Old 11-13-10, 12:28 AM
Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, true, but I just spent a month in Boise (as I like to do each Fall). I ride in areas (in California, or Idaho, or Florida, or Maryland, etc.) that have light traffic so the issue with lights and stop signs is pretty insignificant when it comes to safety issues. I'm sure that isn't true for many others.
Old 11-13-10, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Actual wording:

49-720. STOPPING -- TURN AND STOP SIGNALS.

A person operating a bicycle or human-powered vehicle approaching a stop sign shall slow down and, if required for safety, stop before entering the intersection. After slowing to a reasonable speed or stopping, the person shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another highway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time the person is moving across or within the intersection or junction of highways, except that a person after slowing to a reasonable speed and yielding the right-of-way if required, may cautiously make a turn or proceed through the intersection without stopping.
A person operating a bicycle or human-powered vehicle approaching a steady red traffic-control signal shall stop before entering the intersection, except that a person after slowing to a reasonable speed and yielding the right-of-way if required, may cautiously make a right-hand turn without stopping or may cautiously make a left-hand turn onto a one-way highway without stopping.
A person riding a bicycle shall comply with the provisions of section 49-643, Idaho Code.
A signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given during not less than the last one hundred (100) feet traveled by the bicycle before turning, provided that a signal by hand and arm need not be given if the hand is needed in the control or operation of the bicycle.
Old 11-14-10, 12:58 AM
Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As all that text won't fit on the back of my shirt I created a graphical representation that anyone could understand quickly and then understand the rider's intent.
Old 11-14-10, 10:52 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I have heard of this, how well do younger cyclists understand it? I am thinking of early teens, do they realize that they have a different set of laws or disregard it all?
Old 11-14-10, 12:11 PM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
So if I'm a fan of UK driving laws I can make a Left = Right shirt and drive the wrong way down the street?

Seriously, I don't think you really need to communicate why you aren't stopping to drivers behind you. People are such big fans of the Idaho stop here, the do it in their cars too.
Old 11-14-10, 02:42 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
So if I'm a fan of UK driving laws I can make a Left = Right shirt and drive the wrong way down the street?

Seriously, I don't think you really need to communicate why you aren't stopping to drivers behind you. People are such big fans of the Idaho stop here, the do it in their cars too.
This is the ultimate truth, I counted cars at a stop sign near a coffee shop where I had breakfast; only 10% stopped, another 24% stopped after passing the crosswalk and realizing it wasn't safe, 66% slowed and rolled on through. Stop signs are Yield signs.

Marc