Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Converting Road pads for Cantis

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 02:47 AM

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Cross Pro, 2006 Allez Sport, Mid 70's French Bike named 'Pierre'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am re-purposing my old CX brakes (Avid Shorty 4's) for a new commuter I a building on a Nashbar X frame. I was wondering if anyone has converted road cartridge pad holders to Cantilever pad holders. The road pad screw is too short. ,Does anyone think I could convert a road pad holder to a canti pad holder with some washers off of some old non-cartridge pads?

I know Kool stop makes a road pad holder that easily attaches to cantilever brakes. I used a set to significantly decrease the fork judder on my cross bike. I am trying to avoid spending another $22 bus for new pad holders. Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-13-10, 12:08 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
There are other differences between road and canti pads besides a longer screw. Canti pads are usually thicker (base of bolt to pad surface) and often longer. You might be able to find a longer screw, or scrounge it from someones dead canti pads, but it isn't worth the effort.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-13-10, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Um.... what is wrong with using the off road pads on your bike? I do this on many of my bikes and it works just fine despite the obvious fashion faux pas....
Old 11-13-10, 05:29 PM

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Cross Pro, 2006 Allez Sport, Mid 70's French Bike named 'Pierre'

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my cross bike, I went to the smaller road sized pad on the front and the fork stopped shuddering when I braked.

I was hoping to do the same on my commuter. I will be using the longer canti pads (that used to be on the front of my CX bike) in the rear.

I can scrounge all of the washers off an old set of non-cartridge pads.

I was hoping somebody else managed this conversion already. I may just spend the $20 and be done with it.