Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bikes from Sports Authority or Target

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-10, 12:07 AM
Thrills on Wheels

Bikes: I am looking for one that's why I am here

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to my local bike shop, which aren't many where I live. They only had ONE bike for paved and Bike trails.(is that normal?) The Bike cost $500. Anyway the question is this, should I buy a hybrid bike at sports authority or target? I am just starting out, and I plan on buying a better more expensive bike if I stick to this. OR should I buy this bike. I researched prices on the internet and they all seemed to be around 300. Which is what I am going for.
Old 11-18-10, 12:26 AM
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'd be very leery of department store bikes, they're made from cheap materials and they're put together by unknowledgeable employees. Check craigslist, yard sales, and thrift stores for a used decent quality bike that will fit you before you buy a new one from a department store. Brands to avoid are Huffy, Murray, and Pacific.
Old 11-18-10, 12:29 AM
Thrills on Wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I was worried about. What are some brands to look for?
Old 11-18-10, 01:47 AM

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NewBiker4
That's what I was worried about. What are some brands to look for?
Sizing is the biggest problem, then adjustments. The Schwinn Tailways, ( Target ), Avenue, ( Walmart ),
SideWinder, ( Walmart ), Tourist, ( Target ), and there are several others to be had. The people who write
about cheap components do not realize that these same ones come on Band names like Giant Sedona, and I could go on. Do not want to start big drama on this though. I can speak for the Tourist ( my son is 5' 5" and
fits him well ), The Trailwys, ( Target also, I'm 5' 10" and fits me like a glove ), Here is a short Video of both....
I said 28 speed in the video, its 24..opps !
To bad on not having LBS close, I have the same problem, 2 hour round trip by car to the closest. But are having
some great deals on close out Gary Fishers, ( 350.00 dollar range ) WOW ! Stay AWAY from RoadMaster, Huffy, Next, Mongoose, just to think of a few. The Tourist 249.00 dollars, Trailway runs 239.00 average, but
you can catch deals on both. Problem with Craigslist, newspapers, garage sales, if you can not size a bike or
work on one, then there is NO difference in department store bikes except at least you get a warranty. Walmart
is the best 90 days with proof of purchase, no questions asked, Target, ( HUM ), but at least they have to go to some training classes to assemble bikes, so they are generally pretty close. At that level price range your
paying bike shops to much, buy one that fits, and then the 30.00 dollars on a basic tune up. ( average going
rate around here )..I also have a Cannodale with Sram X-7 components, and are junk to a guy running X-9 or
X-0.....Here is another short clip of the Tourney rear DR on the Trailways...
Hope this helps, I have nothing against LBS's, and would buy from one to..But be careful there also, had a sales man pushing an XL on me, and I need a large, but can ride a medium..Good Luck, Richard : )
Old 11-18-10, 02:35 AM
Thrills on Wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I was going to PM you xoxox but I can't. I was going to have you explain the bike you bought from target. How long have you had it, any problems you have or haven't had. The material anything you can think of. The LBS was selling me this huge bike which I felt it was not worth 500 bucks. I don't know the brand name. The seat was comfy though. Thank you so much.
Old 11-18-10, 02:46 AM

Just trying to help..Here is a clip of the Cannondale F4, but would ride the Schwinn any day also, just picked up a Trek 750
off Craigslist, has Shimano STX components that are awesome, you would not go wrong with any of the ones I mentioned..
And if your just starting out, you will have to factor in extras. I spent 200.00 dollars just getting started !
, and that was on the Trailways...Not the F4. You can tell
some difference between a super dollar bike, and a budget one. If you are just starting out, I would not spend 1000.00
dollars on a bike, it drops by at least 30 percent when you walk out the door. Just like the F4 I picked up off Craigslist, the disk
brakes were not even broke in, the guy was going to start biking, and probably put 50 miles on it. Just was not his thing. ( Like me and the Gym member ship I bought. went 3 times (maybe). Just get something decent, and see where it leads you. Richard
Old 11-18-10, 03:18 AM

well I was going to PM you xoxox but I can't. I was going to have you explain the bike you bought from target. How long have you had it, any problems you have or haven't had. The material anything you can think of. The LBS was selling me this huge bike which I felt it was not worth 500 bucks. I don't know the brand name. The seat was comfy though. Thank you so much.
I have had it about 10 months now, 2500 miles on it. Half of the miles on rough non-groomed trails. Only problem is with tubes,
comes with extra long Schrader stems, ( can not find any ), so you have to settle for Presta ones that do not fit in the stem
hole perfectly. No show stopper though..It would take a trained eye to even notice. Richard
Old 11-18-10, 03:22 AM

And as for miles, did not have a computer first 4 months or so, and do not always turn it on. Richard
Old 11-18-10, 04:23 AM

Been biking around 3 years again..

House burnt down last year, all extras was lost in the fire. That is why I had to replace them,
when I got the Schwinn, ( and had no insurance : ( ...worked at a LBS during my twenties
for a pretty long time..So not new to biking, just re kindled, I'm good at getting threads
locked so I better stay on topic, the Trek 750 cost 20.00 dollars on Craigslist, and you would pass out if I told you how cheap the F4 was...( LOL )...Wishing you the best, Richard
Old 11-18-10, 05:56 AM
Thrills on Wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sorry about your house burning down. Thanks for the response, It's very helpful. I will look on craiglist. I have a friend who has a swchinns and she is getting rid of it. I still need info on it though.
Old 11-18-10, 05:25 PM
bikenut1967

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My wife and I bought the target bikes when we were just starting. They are decent for what they cost, i would say they compare to the lowest level Trek Hybrid we saw at the LBS (which was about $200 more)... Its been said here time and time again, if you can and are able to do your own mechanic work, and know how to buy a bike that fits you can save alot of money with the dept store and online only bikes. Otherwise, go to the LBS and get one. Craigslist is also a good option, but you have to know what you are doing and what things are really worth.

andy

Old 11-18-10, 11:11 PM

Great Advice !

[QUOTE=bikenut1967;11809071]My wife and I bought the target bikes when we were just starting. They are decent for what they cost, i would say they compare to the lowest level Trek Hybrid we saw at the LBS (which was about $200 more)... Its been said here time and time again, if you can and are able to do your own mechanic work, and know how to buy a bike that fits you can save alot of money with the dept store and online only bikes. Otherwise, go to the LBS and get one. Craigslist is also a good option, but you have to know what you are doing and what things are really worth.

Andy

I had the privilege today of not working. and spent about 4 hours at the bike shop
where my buddy works. I Test road everything from a 4000.00 dollar road bike, to an entry
level 1300.00 dollar one, ( THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE ), to 29er's, , Hybrids of all kinds,
Cycle Cross bikes, ETC....They carry Cannondale, Specialized, close out Gary Fishers, Marin..
But when a 600.00 dollar bike comes with Atlus rear DR and ( SIS ) Shimano front DR,
( You have to KNOW how to shop. ) .. Richard
Old 11-18-10, 11:41 PM
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sometimes you can get lucky and find a half-decent bike from a big box store, but I always caution those who are bike shopping to avoid them. My warning is based on experience; I bought a department store Schwinn hybrid for $300 and have probably spent at least that much again in upgrades since. While the bike came with some okay components (Altus drivetrain), they really cheaped out on wheels, bottom bracket (which I had to replace), brakes, pedals (also replaced), tires, etc. I would have been much better off walking into my LBS with $600 and asking what kind of deal they could make me.
Old 11-19-10, 06:48 AM
bikenut1967

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
classic pay me now or pay me later scenario... I too had to replace the BB on my target bike after only 1 month of hard riding. But at the time i also weighed 220. My wife has the exact same bike with around 1500 miles and no problems whatsoever so far...

The BBs that they put in those cheap schwinn's are antiquated and well, cheap. Wont hold up to hard use.

Still, i hate to be the guy who is just getting into biking, lays down 600 for a trek at the LBS and then a month later realizes that he doesnt really like biking after all...

andy

Old 11-19-10, 07:42 AM
Back in the Saddle

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Vaya, Giant Mtn Bike, Draft SE SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had good luck with purchasing good bikes off CL at low price, knowing that I will likely have to replace some components. Am currently riding a 2001 Trek 7300. Paid $60 on CL, changed handlebars and stem, and had to replace rear wheel (chose to replace front one too for peace of mind). I probably have $325 in it, and similar bike new is in the $600 range. Have a Trek mountain bike and a Peugeot mountain bike that I picked up for almost nothing on CL and have spent zero on them besides a new saddle and they have done great.

CL works if you know your standover height and feel like you can determine quality from a test ride. Adjustable stems go a long way to tuning in the fit of the bike.

just my 2 cents Happy riding!
Old 11-19-10, 08:39 PM
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^^ This.

Used is a good way to go if you're unsure... consider it a much cheaper learning curve to find out what you want in a bike.
Old 11-19-10, 08:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well I was going to PM you xoxox but I can't. {snip****
You can still post a visitor message on his profile page. That does not require 50 posts.

CbadRider
Forum Moderator

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 11-19-10, 09:02 PM
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since you're new to bikes, maybe Craigs List would be a good way to get the wrong bike.

I suggest going to several local bike shops and sniffing around. Especially the shops that sell nothing but one make, but carry a full line, like a Specialized, Trek, or Giant store. Right now they have last years models at a markdown. You can get a nice hybrid for $500 in the off season.

Also, get a nicer bike the first time. A cheap, unfitted, mis-assembled bike is not going to be fun, you will have no post sales support, and if do do need to use your warranty, it's going to pretty much be an exchange for another cheap, unfitted, mis-assembled bike.

Most bike shops offer life time free adjustments, can REPAIR in case of warranty issues instead of swapping, and you'll get a bike assembled by pros instead of one put together by the same guy who assembles lawn mowers and cheap modular furniture for display.

Last edited by gitarzan; 11-19-10 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-26-10, 06:49 PM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Some of the retailers online include Performance, Nashbar, Bikes Direct, Jensen USA, Randall Scott. Some have special discount promotions, so it pays to check their websites periodically for things like 10% or 20% discounts off what are already greatly reduced prices. Others offer free shipping (i.e. price already includes shipping). Performance was just selling the men's Mongoose Kaldi Double for $175 ($219 from $499 M.S.R.P. less a special 20% discount)! BTW, Mongoose is just a name these days, just as is Schwinn, Raleigh and many other old manufacturer's names. You can get an inexpensive Mongoose or Schwinn at Walmart, or higher-end models elsewhere. REI also sells bikes, and they currently have the 2010 Novarra Buzz V on sale for $299 from $449 ... https://www.rei.com/product/791144 You can also find good deals on leftover models at local bike shops, which will probably make sure you get the correct size bike, make sure the wheels are "trued" (aligned properly), adjust the gears and brakes for you, include a tune up a certain point (take up cable slack, etc.), and provide a place to go if you have a problem covered under a warranty. You can also buy a used bike. If you can't find the right one at a local bike shop (ask around), thrift store, garage sale, church rummage sale, on the curb on bulk pick-up day, or on Craig's List...you can always post a "wanted to buy" ad on Craig's List.
Old 12-26-10, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Sports Authority - DiamondBack Insight

Target - Schwinn Tourist.

Those are the only ones I would consider from these two stores.

I agree looking at CL first. The only problem I see, is that you won't be able to return it, if you end up with one not your size.

In any rate , know what size you need first, then decide.
Old 12-26-10, 11:58 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
My only add to this topic, is "IF" you by a big box store bike, take it to a quality LBS and have them do a "full tune up", BEFORE you try to RIDE it!!!! I was broke and needed transpo in Sept. 2008, bought a $75.00 Roadmaster Mnt. Sport, (hardtail) MTB from Wally-Mart. I don't own a car so I need to RIDE it home to my apartment, on a downhill the handlebars, just "dropped" down on me I just held the "stem" with one hand and found the rear brake lever just in time not to crash into a stopped car! Walked it to the LBS and had them do a full tune up. The bike ran fine and saw me thru "6 months of usage, even pulling a utility trailer, till I bought a 09 Jamis Trail-X 3.0 from the LBS, I gave the Roadmaster to a kid!

The BBS bikes can do the job of "utility", even some recreational rail trail riding, if "properly maintained", I'd not trust them for off-road or touring duties, jmho, ymmv. Happy New Years!