Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Need to train up to a 45 mile round-trip in seven weeks.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 11-19-10, 05:30 PM
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My one-year follow-up appointment for my bariatric surgery is on Jan 4th, 2011. I got this silly notion that I'd like to ride to and from the appointment, 22ish miles away. Call it my rite of passage from being the fat guy to the health nut; it seems symbolic in some way.

I'm currently commuting 6-7 miles each way to work, 3-4 days/week. Some days I'll stretch the ride home to 9-10 miles. So, I'm fairly confident that I can handle a 20ish mile ride one-way right now. The issue is doing double that, seven weeks from now.

My current plan is to start out this Saturday with a 20-mile ride - 10 miles along the route I'll take, then back again, and increase my turn-around point by 2-3 miles each week. That should get me up to 45-miles by Christmas.

My biggest concern is that I might have to cancel the ride if the weather is well below freezing. There's no way I will convince my wife it's safe to ride 45 miles when there may be ice on the road. That's why I'm hoping to get a there-and-back-again ride in before the big day, just in case I'm frozen out on the big day.

For kicks I'll try to record my time to enter into the Clyde 20-mile ride thread. The ride is nowhere near level, and my time will be closer to two hours rather than one, but then again, I'm riding a commuter with fenders, rack and bag, not a road bike. OTOH, if I had a road bike, I wouldn't be riding 3-4 days a week to work. It's a trade-off.

Next goal is to increase distance until I can do a century on my 45 birthday in late April. It's good to have goals.
Old 11-19-10, 06:03 PM

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Just relax and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about speed.

you have come a long way, sit back and enjoy the bike ride
Old 11-19-10, 06:44 PM
Getting a clue

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 4.7, Diamondback Wildwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardGlover
then again, I'm riding a commuter with fenders, rack and bag, not a road bike. OTOH, if I had a road bike, I wouldn't be riding 3-4 days a week to work. It's a trade-off.
I have to point out the error in your logic. If you had a road bike you'd still be riding 3-4 days a week to work and then 1-2 days on the weekend because you'd keep your commuter and have two bikes. Just ask anyone on this forum - bikes are like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one.
Old 11-19-10, 06:59 PM
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by engstrom
bikes are like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one.
When I used to ride, I made do with only one bike, even though my riding buddy had two. But then again, I'm the rare sort who CAN eat just one potato chip, although that might have something to do with the fact that if I eat more than a few, I end up physically sick.

Eventually, I'll probably get a road bike of some variety, although a CX, tri, or touring setup is more likely than a traditional roadster.
Old 11-19-10, 07:30 PM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Here's some suggestions:

You should do at least one 45-mile ride at least one week before your target. Here's how to get there:
  1. Once every week between now & then (most people do weekends): get in a long "training" ride. You say you could probably currently handle a 20-miler? Good. Do it this weekend.
  2. Continue commuting 3-4 days per week in to work.
  3. Next week, do a longer "training" ride: 25-miles. Don't worry about doing hills on any of these long routes unless you have hills on the trip to the checkup. Just get in the distance & time in the saddle.
  4. Every week, try to increase the distance of this long ride by 5 miles or so.
  5. After 5 weeks, you should up to a 45-mile "training" ride. If it gets to be too much on any of these weeks, cut back the distance, allow your body to recover, and don't worry about being "behind schedule". Trust your body to do it: it can.
  6. If you find motivation difficult, get yourself a prize if you succeed. Or find a riding partner (friend, relative?). Or go on a club ride. Find a club that says it welcomes new riders and has short, easy routes (talk to someone about this before arriving!).

Good luck. You can do it.