Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Acceptance: End of Season

Search
Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 04:48 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts

I strained a calf muscle last month, raced the next weekend anyway, tried to race the week after that and failed, rested for a couple of weeks hoping to try again, got scared away by a cold spell, etc.

Now finally, I've admitted the inevitable. This weekend I rebuilt my hubs, broke down a damaged wheel for spoke replacement and put on the road tires and fenders. Tragically, this coincides exactly (thanks to the rest and a lot of pie) with the weekend on which I became eligible for the upcoming Clydesdale Cyclocross Championship of the Universe.

Oh well, I had planned to be done by now anyway. I just didn't plan to sit out the last four weeks.
Old 11-29-10, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
the upcoming Clydesdale Cyclocross Championship of the Universe.
That sounds like an interesting race.

I, too have strained a calf a few times this year (running) and took this weekend off racing.
I thought this thread would be lamenting the end of the season like I hear of in the eastern US.

Down here, we've got races thru January - I might do more after today for this season than before today. So, i't my halfway point.
Old 11-29-10, 05:59 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Yeah, the season is essentially over here anyway -- two days of USGP races in Portland and then nationals in Bend. In general, we don't have any solid ground to race on beyond the second week in November. That's a big part of why I threw in the towel...more mud = more running. It just kind of sucks to watch the end of the season from the sidelines.
Old 12-02-10, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's 4 races left in New England, but being a student the first few weeks of December are pretty hectic. So, I'm not pressuring myself to do any racing. I really need a break too. This being my first season of competitive cycling I definitely trained poorly; I overtrained, so my bodies worked. I look fit, but I have no juice left. I could use a solid month of vegging out, as I plan to race crits in the upcoming season.

There is nothing psychical limiting me from racing, but it's the whole weighing things like school against cycling. As a Cat4, I'm not getting paid to ride bike, so occasionally I have to give in to attending to things I don't enjoy like school or work.

Sigh, I'm not sure what I'm going to do without cross', this season was awesome though, and I learned a lot.
Old 12-02-10, 04:27 PM
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Last race coming up on Sunday, I'm looking forward to it. Also looking forward to resting up a bit.
Old 12-02-10, 09:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OVCX series finale this weekend then it is cross racing in TN for the next couple of months then it is gluing tubulars for road tires and back to Crit racing. What off season? I've raced 30 weekends this year!