Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

"disguising" my bike for city use?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

"disguising" my bike for city use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-04, 03:42 PM
royal dutch of dukes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi all,
thanks for the reply to my earlier message about commuting -- i've decided (due to budget and enjoyment) that i'm gonna commute on my surly... does anyone have any recs on how to "decorate" the bastard to make it look less inviting? what kinds of tape can sustain water, not degrade too much over time, and come off cleanly (no sticky areas) if i move to some paradise where nobody steals bikes ;-) ? should i wrap the whole thing in different colors, etc? any other suggestions without damaging the paint too much, so i don't have to worry about rust?
peace
fily
Old 10-10-04, 03:58 PM
oaxacarider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why not use a lock?
Old 10-10-04, 04:16 PM

Bikes: TiSport Road frame with Campagnolo Daytona/Centaur + Record/Open Pro wheels | 2002 Bianchi Volpe | 2003 Giant TCR 2 w/ Sun ME14A rims/Ultegra 6500 hubs/ Bianchi SL Centaur (currently being refurbished)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure you're planning on using a lock. I ride a 2001 Volpe - dark wine color. I found duct tape just a shade from the paint, and covered all the 'Bianchi' s on the tubes and stays. Regular cable lock has kept it secure for 2 years anc change, but I don't park it in 'high crime' areas. Don't even think of locking a bicycle worth more than a bag of dope in one of those neighborhoods, because that's what it will become for the thief
Old 10-10-04, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Why not take some garbage bags and tear it up and wrap it around the frame? Then get some duct tape and wrap the duct tape all the way around that garbage bag and let everyone think the frame is basically being held together by the tape. It won't ruin your frame, since the tape won't touch the frame.

Koffee

Old 10-10-04, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Why not take some garbage bags and tear it up and wrap it around the frame? Then get some duct tape and wrap the duct tape all the way around that garbage bag and let everyone think the frame is basically being held together by the tape. It won't ruin your frame, since the tape won't touch the frame.

Koffee
That is so strong...great idea
Old 10-10-04, 08:13 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy recumbent, Giant Boulder SE with an Xtracycle attachment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown

Koffee

Just don't use black duct tape. The thief might mistake it for carbon fiber.

Last edited by Hal Hardy; 10-10-04 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-10-04, 08:14 PM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What great ideas! No thief would ever suspect that there's a nice bike under the tape. I'll bet they think only folks with Huffy's do that.

How are you going to hide your nice deraillers and shift levers? Gouge them up with a file? Seriously, don't you think that it will be obvious that there's a nice paint job under all the tape and garbage bags.

Instead of 'security by obscurity', get a good padlock for your chain and a good U-Lock and use them both. Better is to take you bike inside with you. Best yet is to get an old thrift store bike and use it for day to day commuting. Keep your nice bike locked away until the weekend. Then you won't have to look at all that ugly tape.
Old 10-10-04, 09:09 PM

Bikes: 70's gitane, 70's ross, '03 bianchi milano, no-name tandem(french?),26"chrome lowrider, 77 raleigh gran prix, schwinn suburban

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the tape is to protect the paint try hockey tape. It's fabric so you can use it on the handlebars also and shellac over. if you don't scratch the paint in the first place rust's not a problem (use boeshield or something inside) it comes in black and white @ 2.99 for a big roll (much bigger than the cloth handlebar tape rolls) 1 roll does 3 drop bars. If you get the white it'll get soo dirty the first day no one will ride with you!
None of this matters if you don't have a lock.
Old 10-10-04, 10:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno...I've seen a few bikes that were made to look ugly. If you know bikes, you can pick 'em out very easily. And, yes, the previous poster is right, what about the components - I've heard around here that folks steal your components, too!

My bike is no big deal, but it's nice enough compared to most others where I park (university). The only things I do are: use two locks (u-bolt & separate cable lock), park it in different locations around the school, wherever I park it is in a well-lit, high traffic location, I replaced the quick releases on my front wheel and seat post with bolts, and I hope for the best.

There are different types of thieves (I think). If I were to make my bike ugly, I'd completely repaint in with metallic,sparking blue and put CCM or Huffy stickers on it. That might fool the stupid thieves, while the smarter ones might think it's too much trouble to repaint it and get new stickers (I don't think they'll be put off by tape, although that might hide a bike from drive-by scouting). And then there are people who just like to vandalize bikes 'cause it's fun.

If I were really worried about my bike and/or lived in a high crime area, I'd visit the local thrift or pawn shop and pick up a $25 beater.

R
Old 10-10-04, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
If you have the silver duct tape, once you've taped over the bags, no one will see the bags. Then I would suggest taking some paint and markers to it and totally giving it your own little paint job so that thieves think it's just a junker.

Components... I've seen some terribly beat up bikes with nice components. Of course, they were riding around Vicenza, Italy with Campy Record and Campy Centaur.... Vicenza being the home of Campagnolo. Not surprising the locals could find their components cheap.

Koffee

Old 10-11-04, 05:36 AM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you have to use bags, cling wrap or any plastic will cover to protect the decal fom tape glue. good idea tho- Koffee.

A second seat and post for commuting- may get stolen, a torn (but loved and comfey) saddle, generic post.
Also looks

I have removed some advertisements from components, I am not sponsored by them, nor a discount for displaying logos. Green scrubbies work well.

Dirt! DIRT!! Road grime, leave it, get more......free and ugly. Clean only the drive.

My main rides LOUD!!

Many of the 'bits' are red, uncommon, hard to hide. Thing are mis-matched- or missing? ( )

Ugly bare chromoly, even some patina (oxidation, rust) patina is just the arty $1000 way of saying it, (clearcoat this winter, I'll get to it......) Fake rust with a brush, use cheap acrylic, comes off with a bit of effort, repaint when needed.

I'm going to dremel (etch) design into the der and other components. ( Not #, something cool, personal)

They make many colors of electricians tape now, way nicer that duct, and easier to remove. I like hockey tape too for grip, kinda rots tho- (and looks ugly, asssorted colors!)

I'm tired and can't think more on the subject...

Last edited by jeff williams; 10-11-04 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 07:05 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
The simple solution to this problem is not to screw up your nice looking bike but to pick up a beater for like $20 and use that.
Old 10-11-04, 07:16 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I once saw a "homeless" guy in midtown with an OCLV all carbon bike. Had it heavily disguised but the large smooth rounded corners in the triangle and that aero fin on the seat tube kind of gave it away.
Old 10-11-04, 07:40 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
The simple solution to this problem is not to screw up your nice looking bike but to pick up a beater for like $20 and use that.
Short of getting crazy and screwing up a great bike this
post is the only one thus far that exhibits any common sense.

Get a beater for work and ride the Surly as a sunday bike.
Old 10-11-04, 09:44 AM
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in the land of bikes (Isla Vista, next to UC Santa Barbara) the way they do it is to cover the bike with bumper stickers, then spray paint the whole entire thing, components, tires and all. But then again, they usually do that to disguise the bike they stole.

The "ugly bike" solution is really only mild protection. I'd either go with the ugly $20 beater solution or ride my perfect bike but never leave it outside alone.
Old 10-11-04, 10:05 AM
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always park it next to a nicer bike.
Old 10-11-04, 10:24 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MERTON
stupid homeless... they get all the perks... maybe it was someone that once had money but is now broke??
anyway, scratching the words off deraileurs is a good idea... i filed all the logos off my bike.
Or maybe he STOLE it.
Old 10-11-04, 10:42 AM
Commuter

Bikes: All of the ones in the garage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
Always park it next to a nicer bike.
Great answer.

I have a beater, an old SS with one brake and what other compnents? Thats my answer for a beater bike, except its my nice one.

A question for you all. Do you have avaliable to you bike lockers? Here in PDX we have them scattered around, i think thay are around $20-50 for 1-6 months. Problem being they are in one area. Heres the link https://www.trans.ci.portland.or.us/bicycles/lockers.htm
Old 10-11-04, 12:35 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tightwad
Short of getting crazy and screwing up a great bike this
post is the only one thus far that exhibits any common sense.

Get a beater for work and ride the Surly as a sunday bike.
Whatever. Thanks for posting, have fun riding garbage 5 days a week. hope you don't have a long commute or a wipe out on your junk bike.
Old 10-11-04, 01:18 PM
cab horn

Originally Posted by jeff williams
Whatever. Thanks for posting, have fun riding garbage 5 days a week. hope you don't have a long commute or a wipe out on your junk bike.
You are cleary a newb. A beater doesn't necessarily equate to garbage or one that is falling apart or is unsafe to ride.
Old 10-11-04, 01:42 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
You are cleary a newb. A beater doesn't necessarily equate to garbage or one that is falling apart or is unsafe to ride.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...299#post665299 You ask-"What exactly is wrong with steel rims again?"

ummm, ya, you're bike scientist right?

The person did not ask IF, but WHAT TO DO! Do you want to help or just start something?

I offer suggestions, you, opinions. Crappy bikes suck to ride, poorly designed, maintained bikes are not safe. Sure, go wobble around traffic on a $25 ancient 'tensile steel' monster- but get outta my way> I got things to do and I ride HELLA fast.

I don't care, ride whatever, if the poster wants more suggestion I'll give them. Could fill a meg or 2.

NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB,NEWB.

Last edited by jeff williams; 10-11-04 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 01:50 PM
cab horn

That's cool. I'll let this 'suggestion' speak for itself.

Old 10-11-04, 01:59 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read post #11, I wrote it to informative. And I do think in some areas, if no secure storage is avail, bad city- sure, ride a beater. I ride a fairly nice bike, rides great, looks like hell.

Works for me. O- not to be all butt, sorry.
Most posts are curt 1 liners, takes no effort.
When someone starts d'ss'n when I bothered to type and be helpful, I get cross.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=disguising some more ideas.
Old 10-11-04, 04:42 PM
Thinks-she-knows-it-all

Location: The place that does not exist, the time that has never been
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And here goes the expensive-bikes versuis cheap-bikes argument again.

Some cheap bikes can be made to work very well.

~~~end of discussion~~~
Old 10-11-04, 07:04 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
"Some cheap bikes can be made to work very well."

Yep, but let's not forget the corallary:

"Some expensive bikes can be made to work like crap."

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.