Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sun cargo bike

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Sun cargo bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 01:01 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Still waiting to see if I can get one of these with my tax return... it's either get this, or build a road bike and convert my current MTB to an Xtracycle. Hmmm... decisions, decisions.
My current MTB frame is a perfect candidate for the Xtracycle extension but I decided against going that way after hearing about flexing problems under load. I'd rather wait few months longer and get a complete bike and keep my current bike as it is, since I won't be able to go on the longtail everywhere.
Old 01-14-11, 03:52 PM
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
My current MTB frame is a perfect candidate for the Xtracycle extension but I decided against going that way after hearing about flexing problems under load. I'd rather wait few months longer and get a complete bike and keep my current bike as it is, since I won't be able to go on the longtail everywhere.
I'm tempted to get this instead of a conversion too... but I will have to add in the cost of fenders, lights, Mr Tuffy liners, maybe a decent fork, Xtracycle bags, a saddle, handlebars, and so forth. I would have to see one before I committed to it, and I'm not sure the local shop would order one just for me.

I still don't know if I can justify spending that much on it, but I will see. Regardless, if/when I spring for one, you can bet I will post it up.

Hmmm... I have a couple of disk calipers left over from a kid's bike I dismantled, and the spin-on 6-botl adapters it used, too... I could get my hands on a cheap/free cruiser freewheel rear wheel and convert it to a front disk? Hmmm... I wonder.

Also, since I live in flatland, I'm wondering about changing the freewheel/cassette to something with a more narrow range, as I hate 11x32 rears and having to double-shift for everything. Let's see, it's 21 speeds? Probably a freewheel, which is fine, as I have plenty 7-speed clusters laying around, and I'm building up a 7-speed cassette wheel...

Hmmm. We will see.
Old 01-14-11, 06:40 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Adam, I'm going to enjoy the Sun cargo bike vicariously through you. Or maybe you'll let me test drive it in Central Park some day.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-14-11, 07:00 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
I'm tempted to get this instead of a conversion too... but I will have to add in the cost of fenders, lights, Mr Tuffy liners, maybe a decent fork, Xtracycle bags, a saddle, handlebars, and so forth. I would have to see one before I committed to it, and I'm not sure the local shop would order one just for me.

I still don't know if I can justify spending that much on it, but I will see. Regardless, if/when I spring for one, you can bet I will post it up.

Hmmm... I have a couple of disk calipers left over from a kid's bike I dismantled, and the spin-on 6-botl adapters it used, too... I could get my hands on a cheap/free cruiser freewheel rear wheel and convert it to a front disk? Hmmm... I wonder.

Also, since I live in flatland, I'm wondering about changing the freewheel/cassette to something with a more narrow range, as I hate 11x32 rears and having to double-shift for everything. Let's see, it's 21 speeds? Probably a freewheel, which is fine, as I have plenty 7-speed clusters laying around, and I'm building up a 7-speed cassette wheel...

Hmmm. We will see.
It's easier for me to justify since I haven't had a new bike in a year (excluding the touring bike and that will be sold in Spring) and I haven't spent anything on photography and barely anything on computer stuff in over a year, two other hobbies of mine. Plus this bike will definitely make me drive less. I've already done shopping and laundry using my commuter bike. With a cargo bike like this even a trip to Home Depot won't be a problem After reading other people experiences with long tails I'm pretty sure this will become my primary bike, except for commuting (small elevators). I even plan to tour on it, no more snapping rackmount eyelets! That meanining, of course the bike fits me well. I'm still a little worried about the one size fits all design. But by comparing my current bike to that geometry sheet it looks like it'll be OK.

Originally Posted by noglider
Adam, I'm going to enjoy the Sun cargo bike vicariously through you. Or maybe you'll let me test drive it in Central Park some day.
Tom, I know I said it before, but I will gladly meet you some time. So why not.
Old 01-14-11, 07:27 PM
On a Mission from God

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've got to get one of these... truth is, if I didn't have a car, I wouldn't mind riding my bike every day. It's just... difficult!

Ugh. I'm desparately lusting after a cargo bike, I'd use it, I just can't justify the money when I have a car that is paid for! Ugh. I'm a mess.

I'm half tempted to sell the car, just to tick people off. If I did that, bought a couple of really nice bikes, and used them every single day, maybe I would feel better about it.
Old 01-14-11, 08:29 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't have to sell the car. Not everyone's life is car-free compatible. I have a car. I've put 44k miles in over 6 years, some people do that in a year or less. I've been thinking about selling it and if I was single I probably would at this point, for the same reason: I could get 2 -3 decent bikes for that money (car's worth about $6k now). But I have already been car-lite for many years, I know for a fact I could live without it. I bough it as a luxury so I can drive out of town on weekends, for leisure mostly. Some people may not be able to live without a car, at least without making some preparations.

So don't sell your car just yet, unless you really want to save money on insurance, gas, etc and you don't care much for the car and you're sure you can live without it.

Over a period of several days write down a thorough list of things you do with the car and see if everything can be done with a bike instead, all year round, in any weather and what other options you have: car service, Zip car, etc. Don't forget emergencies and rare events. What if you get flu or something? How would you get to a doctor in an emergency, stuff like that.

And visit the Living Car Free forum for inspiration.

BTW, more pics of the bike I'm just worrying about the fenders. Does it even have clearance for fenders? I wish I could see one now.

Adam

Last edited by AdamDZ; 01-14-11 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-14-11, 09:26 PM
On a Mission from God

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
My car costs me almost nothing now... insurance is almost nothing, and I don't drive it much, so gas is almost nothing.

I guess what I need is a swift kick in the butt, and get a good cargo bike and use it all the time.

I still want to get a bakefiets/cetma front loader bike and do group rides with it. Just because.
Old 01-15-11, 09:04 AM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you're like me, similar situation: my car doesn't cost me a lot now either, so unless I want to sell it simply as matter o principle, to consider myself truly car-free, I don't have a very good reason to sell it yet. But car-lite is cool too. So yeah, you just need to do it It was easier for me because of the NYC traffic, it really discourages driving. If you live in light traffic area it may be harder to leave the car home as driving can actually be a pleasant experience.
Old 01-15-11, 10:35 AM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I've done it... I know I change my mind daily, and I can't decide what I want but I just pulled the trigger. Universal Cycles has black Big Dummy frames in stock for $775 if you use the price match feature. I ordered a 22". No more doubts. It should be here by next weekend, but it will be several weeks before I finish building it up.
Old 01-15-11, 11:00 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

WHAAAAAAT? You were all hot and heavy for the Sun!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-15-11, 11:15 AM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know But I couldn't resist at $775.
Old 01-15-11, 11:16 AM
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
The one thing that concerns me about this Sun is the MegaRange cassette, guessing it is an 8-speed but it might be 7. Anyway, I have two 21-Speed bikes with 34-11T clusters, one is a freewheel on an old Fuji DF, with a crappy Tourney derailleur, the other is a cassette on a LWB that I paired with a SRAM X5. I've ridden them both about 4K hilly miles in a season, pulling a trailer etc. Now, while I've had to bend the rear derailleur cage on the DF back into shape a few times, it still shifts okay. On the other hand, I've already had to completely replace the derailleur on the bent a couple of times: I think the strain of such a long chain in conjunction with the MegaRange is what is taking the toll (though of course I can't be sure exactly what the problem is at this point.) The Big Dummy, in contrast to the Sun, has a 9-Speed cassette, no Mega-Range, no worries.

Congrats Adam, I think you made a wise choice!
Old 01-15-11, 12:13 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andychrist
The one thing that concerns me about this Sun is the MegaRange cassette, guessing it is an 8-speed but it might be 7. Anyway, I have two 21-Speed bikes with 34-11T clusters, one is a freewheel on an old Fuji DF, with a crappy Tourney derailleur, the other is a cassette on a LWB that I paired with a SRAM X5. I've ridden them both about 4K hilly miles in a season, pulling a trailer etc. Now, while I've had to bend the rear derailleur cage on the DF back into shape a few times, it still shifts okay. On the other hand, I've already had to completely replace the derailleur on the bent a couple of times: I think the strain of such a long chain in conjunction with the MegaRange is what is taking the toll (though of course I can't be sure exactly what the problem is at this point.) The Big Dummy, in contrast to the Sun, has a 9-Speed cassette, no Mega-Range, no worries.

I would have stripped it down and rebuild with a better drivetrain anyway. I was just concerned withe the one-size-fits all design. And I'm a bit impatient too. I want to start working on a new bike
Old 01-15-11, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AdamDZ,

Congrats on your BD purchase,you certainly won't have any regrets with a BD.I suspect you will be hitting the BD sites now on what parts to get huh.I think some of us here were secretly hoping you would actually get the Sun bike just to get the lowdown on it from a real world rider.Oh well someone down the road will take the plunge on the Sun and hopefully tell us all about it.Don't forget to snap pics of your build and future trips on the BD cargo bike.
Old 01-15-11, 01:15 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Well, it's expensive, but I'm sure your Big Dummy will be a killer bike. I have a Surly Cross Check, and it's excellent. I built it up with mostly old components and couldn't be happier.

Old 01-15-11, 01:16 PM
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
I would have stripped it down and rebuild with a better drivetrain anyway.
Yeah I know, and you also said you had already ordered a wheelset. Thing is, if the Sun is set up for a 7-Speed, a rear wheel built for an 8 or 9-Speed wheel would not fit, the axle would be too long. So a good thing you went with the Big Dummy, have fun building up your new cargo bike!
Old 01-15-11, 01:29 PM
On a Mission from God

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Congrats, Adam. Can't wait to see what you do to personalize it!
Old 01-15-11, 10:29 PM
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
OK, I've done it... I know I change my mind daily, and I can't decide what I want but I just pulled the trigger. Universal Cycles has black Big Dummy frames in stock for $775 if you use the price match feature. I ordered a 22". No more doubts. It should be here by next weekend, but it will be several weeks before I finish building it up.
Congrats on the BD, it sounds like it will fit you better than the Sun. I still haven't committed to buying one of these yet, but I'm still considering it.

Originally Posted by andychrist

According to the specs matrix in the Sun catalog, the Atlas cargo bike has a 7-speed cassette coupled with a Tourney RD-TX31 rear derailleur.
Old 01-16-11, 12:10 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all, I will definitely keep you posted on my build, no doubt about that, with pictures And I will keep my eye on the Sun bike just out of curiosity and I'll post here if I find any interesting tidbits.

Yes, I had too many doubts about the Sun bike. Perhaps if I was able to see it now, I'd get it, but there were some unknowns: dropout spacing, frame sizing, fender eyelets. Big Dummy is a known frame and it is what I originally wanted but since I missed the 2010 closeouts I though the 2011 BD frame would be $1050 that's why the Sun was so attractive. I didn't expect the BD to be available for at least another month and at $775 I had no doubts about the BD frame.

Adam
Old 01-20-11, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may have missed it but I don't see anyone else posting it. A detailed component list straight from the mfgr.

https://www.sunbicycles.com/product_d...cl1=INDUSTRIAL
Old 01-20-11, 05:39 AM
On a Mission from God

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ruindd
I may have missed it but I don't see anyone else posting it. A detailed component list straight from the mfgr.

https://www.sunbicycles.com/product_d...cl1=INDUSTRIAL
Thanks, this wasn't on their site a week ago. We were right... it's a 7-speed freewheel.
Old 01-20-11, 03:10 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, they must have just updated their website! So, like Yuba Mundo, it uses 14mm axles. You'd need adapters for standard axles, that are 12mm, I believe.
Old 02-14-11, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
This bike is very intriguing to me. Any new information?
Old 02-15-11, 01:51 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I haven't come across any new info. It's supposed to come out next month and my LBS will probably be getting some.
Old 03-08-11, 01:27 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I must have one of these. I hope they are actually available at some point. Mundo-killer. The Mundo seemed to be the poor man's Big Dummy, and now it looks like the Sun will be the poor man's Yuba Mundo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.