Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bad Weather on the Way

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bad Weather on the Way

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10, 12:50 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Bad Weather on the Way

NorCal is bracing for a couple of storms that will bring a lot of rain. After they are finished with us, we will quickly send them east. Trainer time.

https://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...ed=rss.bayarea

A pair of blustery, soaking storms will stream into Northern California beginning Friday, bringing as much as 10 inches of rain south and east of the Bay Area by Christmas Day and setting up potentially difficult travel conditions for those escaping for the holidays.
Old 12-16-10, 12:53 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hehe, but it's really nice out, right now, so I'll be going on a nice ride shortly.
Old 12-16-10, 12:55 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by t4mv
Hehe, but it's really nice out, right now, so I'll be going on a nice ride shortly.
I am building an ark today.
Old 12-16-10, 01:03 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My heart goes out for you, some guys just don't have it easy.
Old 12-16-10, 01:10 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
They'll supposed to be making it down here to SoCal as well. Forecast is rain for the next week or so. 60 and sunny here right now but that's supposed to change tomorrow. After my commute home tonight I may try to talk my wife into a Christmas decoration viewing ride as it looks like it will be the last good weather for a while.
Old 12-16-10, 01:32 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
My heart goes out for you, some guys just don't have it easy.
The weathermen predicted a dryer and colder season for us due to La Nina. Last year we had El Nino. We get our water supply from the snow pack in the mountains and reservoirs. The water authority was granting 25% of the requested amount of water of which most goes to farming in the central valley. So the rain is sort of good news but too much means mud slides, avalanches and etc.

And 10 inches of rain translates to 10 feet of snow. Hopefully, when this system hits the midwest / northeast and the air is colder, it will have lost a little steam.
Old 12-16-10, 03:10 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Can I request that you keep the weather your side of the Atlantic this winter. We are experiencing weather from Siberia and it is not nice. If the stuff you are getting in the East hits us- then I think the UK will sink.

Still tonight we have it coming from the Arctic so it may not get quite as cold down here in the South. Just 28F forecast for tomorrow but hopefully no more snow.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-16-10, 03:40 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
For Christmas I'm getting:
-a cold weather cycling-specific jacket.
-a medieval-looking balaclava.
-heavy-duty gloves.

My intention is to cycle in to the office three times a week, no matter what.

It is 33F out right now. If I had access to the equipment, I don't think I'd use it. It's just too cold.

However, riding in this weather does earn you some street cred. Maybe I'll sell my excess street cred to folks here who really need it.
Old 12-16-10, 04:09 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
10" ??? That's like half our annual average in one day!!! I predict landslides, downed trees, flooding, and closed roads.

I'll probably ride my commute bike to the gym and take a spin class.

This morning was the coldest I've seen in a long time, but it warmed up quickly.
Old 12-16-10, 04:14 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It sounds like Ca. is getting clobbered alright.

We've had it pretty easy here on the southern shores of Lake Ontario. Get up, shovel your way out of the house, get home, shovel your way back in. No brainer there.

At least I only have to drive south for about thirty minutes to escape the winter onslought. Once I get a few miles away from the Lake and away from the seemingly non-stop Lake Effect snow, I can bask in the warm glow of the Sun and actually enjoy the 20* temps., and even see blacktop again. It's amazing to see the drastic difference that living within a few miles of the windward side of a large lake can make. One side of the city can be enjoying a sunny day while the other side of the same city just keeps shoveling and shoveling and ....

Our annual snowfall averages just over 100". This year it isn't even chronological Winter yet and we're already around 50", a record snowfall for December for us. Fortunately we had a three day thaw after the first two feet or things would really be starting to pile up around here!!

I've already been up on the garage roof to remove excessive snow twice and up on the house roof twice also. I've even fired up the sno-blower a few times this year (most years I don't use it at all).

Cycling? Yeah right!! I have decided that if I'm a shovelin' I don't need to be a ridin'!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I hope your rain stops soon.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 12-16-10 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-16-10, 04:42 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like central OR will be catching the edge of those storms too. Thanks so much for sharing.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 12-16-10, 04:44 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
OK, my weather report says maybe 2" with up to 6" on the north coast. Turn the panic knob down a notch.
Old 12-16-10, 05:07 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
WHERE oh WHERE is global warming when we need it**********?
We're having the third coldest end of fall on record in the Raleigh area. First snow was December 5. Hey, this is the souteast, its not supposed to snow until late January. Today we had snow, sleet and freezing rain. Forget riding bikes, no way. This would be a REALLY bad time for the ecologists to bring up the subject of Global Warming around here.
Old 12-16-10, 05:12 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I guess I'll bike commute Friday like I always do. But right now I could sure do with a alternate suggestion that doesn't include wimping out.

Today my commute was in the 30s -- with fog -- which I'm not used to at all. It did get beautiful this afternoon, enough to get in a couple sets of tennis in shorts.

Not looking forward to Friday. Except the part where TV reporters go up Highway 80 and shout "It's snowing at Blue Canyon!!!!" and act surprised, like it doesn't do that every winter.
Old 12-16-10, 06:30 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it was clear and sunny when the ride began, absolutely a beautiful day, maybe 50 F, or so. But as the ride progressed, this is what the eye(s) did see:

Cruising along in Saratoga...hmmm, *something's* gonna be happening, soon..

But I get to the Mtn Winery climb and it's still dry..

Oh, look, is that a hint of blue out yonder?

Get to the base of the Mt Eden climb and, .. it's still dry!

It's mid-50s F, and this fellow is out hittin' balls. Wuss, or no? Hermes, jppe, opinions please

OK, I guess we're gonna get dumped on. There's a sun in there somewhere..

Best of all, I found a pair of polypro glove liners, a half mile apart! Which one of you guys is missing your gloves after your ride?

Hermes, you got any room on your ark for another family? We only need some small corner until Sunday, then we're off to HNL. Woot!
Old 12-16-10, 07:56 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Never fails that we get a bout of bad weather when I'm taking a few weeks off. Fortunately, we have a new trainer and rain jackets.
Old 12-16-10, 08:00 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We've been gettin hit hard here but its been quiet for a couple of days now. Most of December has been really wet and wild. Hopefully things will settle down .
Old 12-16-10, 08:19 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sure hope it is not as bad as predicted. It is still bitter cold here, but not much snow. Just a little each day, maybe 2" on the ground now. If that storm comes our way we could easily get a foot or more.
Old 12-16-10, 08:35 PM

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cue the CCR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROycpcCuxrs
Old 12-16-10, 08:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Need snow

All you folks getting or about to get hammered by lots of precip - please divert some to southern New England as snow. In Massachusetts where I ski, we can use one or preferably two feet for a white Christmas and that winter wonderland look folks in these parts, particularly skiing folks, love so much.
Thank you,
Bern
Old 12-16-10, 09:51 PM

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
See, I've been going back and forth about this...I want to ride tomorrow and rain - in and of itself - does not bother me; it's psycho crazy drivers in the rain that bother me. Maybe I'll just run instead (because somehow that seems safer....I never said that my logic was good).

Regardless, while this is inconvenient from a bike riding standpoing, it's stellar from a snowboard-riding standpoint!
Old 12-17-10, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
WHERE oh WHERE is global warming when we need it**********?
We're having the third coldest end of fall on record in the Raleigh area. First snow was December 5. Hey, this is the souteast, its not supposed to snow until late January. Today we had snow, sleet and freezing rain. Forget riding bikes, no way. This would be a REALLY bad time for the ecologists to bring up the subject of Global Warming around here.
The problem is, you have no weather of your own. I spend a lot of time in the RTP area and one of the local weathermen blames "warm Mexican air, moisture from the Gulf and cold Canadian air" for pretty much all weather anomolies. In this case, blame Canada.
Old 12-17-10, 10:23 AM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Still tonight we have it coming from the Arctic so it may not get quite as cold down here in the South. Just 28F forecast for tomorrow but hopefully no more snow.
Funny thing happened about 2pm. Went into a customer and he remarked I had let the cold in--- to an open workshop. The temp dropped by about 5C in a minute or so. Within 30 seconds we had a snow covering. I got on my way to the next customer and within 2 minutes we 1" of snow- Not much but it turned to ICE immediately. Just spent the last 2 hours driving the 10 miles home on Ice. Torvil and Deane had nothing on the antics I was getting up to.

I have no idea what the weather is doing over here and neither do the weather forecasters. The snow was supposed to come tomorrow but not the low temps.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-17-10, 10:50 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I have no idea what the weather is doing over here and neither do the weather forecasters. The snow was supposed to come tomorrow but not the low temps.
Hope it gets warmer before I arrive in the U.K. in mid-Feb.!

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-17-10, 01:38 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Hope it gets warmer before I arrive in the U.K. in mid-Feb.!

Rick / OCRR
So do I but last year we were in the throes of a "Late" winter

Daughter works 20 miles from home- She left work at 3pm and is still 12 miles from home 4 hours later. Temp is down to 20F and the snow has frozen. No gritters out and the snow is only 2" deep but it has frozen solid. I just had to go to my daughters to let the cat in. If I knew how cold it was- I would not have bothered

The cat has a fur coat- I don't.

But saw two cyclists out there. One pushing the bike- he had to as he has obviously fallen as he was limping quite badly. I offered him a lift but he only had a mile to limp home. The other one was riding along quite boldly. but kept an eye on him. Not long before he was over. He was OK but could not understand why he had gone over. I left him sitting there wondering.

Spike Milligan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.