Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Converting from downtube to STI

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-13-04, 09:15 AM
It's not easy being green

Bikes: Cannondale Jekyll 700, Jamis Eclipse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone know of a kit to convert from downtube shifters to STI shifters?
Old 10-13-04, 09:30 AM
rj987652003

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I'm doing exactly that right now. Tell me about your bike. How many speeds, how old is it?

First of all if it already has 130mm rear frame spacing and 130mm rear cassette wheel you are in luck. IF it is 126mm rear spacing you will need to spread the rear triangle (most shops do this for $25 to $40) and obtain a 130mm cassette rear wheel. ( tHis is needed for 8, 9, 10 speed STI shifters)

You'll have to do more modifications, but tell me what equipment you have on your bike.

Last edited by rj987652003; 10-13-04 at 09:35 AM.

Old 10-13-04, 09:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is my wife's bike.

The bike is a mid 90's Specialized Epic with a really nice CF frame. I put a shorter stem on it and she is more comfortable, but she does not like shifting because of the downtube shifters.

The drivetrain is only 7 speeds, but I am prepared to make the switch up to 105 for a 9-speed drivetrain (Brifters, rear der, rear wheel, chain, cassette, cables will be replaced, but I think I can salvage the cranks and front der).

I was just wondering if there is a kit for the downtube bosses to put the cable stops in their place. Everything else is not too complicated for a wrench like me.
Old 10-13-04, 09:51 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
If you do not want to spread the rear triangle [Do I recall correctly that the Epic is a carbon fibre frame? If so, do not spread it.], you can build up an 8-speed cogset using 9-speed cogs and spacers; see Sheldon's website for more details.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-13-04, 09:57 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Every set of new STI levers that I've seen came with a pair of cable stops that replace the down tube shifters.

A mid 90's bike will almost surely have 130mm rear dropout spacing so you're in luck there. Converting to 9-speed will require either a whole new rear wheel or a major rework of the one that you have. If it's a triple, I've not had good luck with using the existing derailleur on 9-speed conversions, so you may need to replace that also.
Old 10-13-04, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fortunately, it is a double.

I'm planning on putting on a new rear wheel.
Old 10-13-04, 10:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FatBomber
It is my wife's bike.

The bike is a mid 90's Specialized Epic with a really nice CF frame. I put a shorter stem on it and she is more comfortable, but she does not like shifting because of the downtube shifters.

The drivetrain is only 7 speeds, but I am prepared to make the switch up to 105 for a 9-speed drivetrain (Brifters, rear der, rear wheel, chain, cassette, cables will be replaced, but I think I can salvage the cranks and front der).

I was just wondering if there is a kit for the downtube bosses to put the cable stops in their place. Everything else is not too complicated for a wrench like me.
Did the same on same bike. The Epic Carbon has 130mm spacing, but a 7-sp freehub on the 105 configuration.

Option 1 (cheap): Pair of Shimano Sora 7-sp levers. That's it. Keep FD, RD, chain, everything else. It works like a charm.

Option 2 (more expensive): Go to 8- or 9-sp. Pair of whatever 8- or 9-sp levers, new freehub, re-space and re-dish rear wheel (or new hub, or new wheel), probably new RD, probably new chain, may keep FD and chainrings.
Old 10-13-04, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any idea where I could find 7-speed Soras? I've looked in a couple of places and find a lot of 8-speed brifters.
Old 10-13-04, 10:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FatBomber
Any idea where I could find 7-speed Soras? I've looked in a couple of places and find a lot of 8-speed brifters.
Got mine here:
https://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=805486725480
Old 10-15-04, 09:54 AM

Bikes: 2016 Tom Kellogg steel Spectrum all-road, '89 Eisentraut Rainbow Traut, '81 Marinoni Special, 2018 Ritchey Road Logic, 2006 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2009 custom Joe Wells alu Tsunami CX, '71 Favorit (Czech Rep) Special, 2012 Co-Motion Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You can purchase downtube shifter mounted cable adjusters- order them from QBP through your local shop, or google around for a source. They convert you shifter bosses to cable stops/ adjusters. They should be about 20 bucks full price, but you can find them discounted- campy and shimano both make them. The Shimanos are better in my opinion as they are easier to adjust the rear cable on the fly than the campy design.
Old 10-15-04, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZenNMotion
You can purchase downtube shifter mounted cable adjusters- order them from QBP through your local shop, or google around for a source. They convert you shifter bosses to cable stops/ adjusters. They should be about 20 bucks full price, but you can find them discounted- campy and shimano both make them. The Shimanos are better in my opinion as they are easier to adjust the rear cable on the fly than the campy design.
The cable adjusters (plus outer+inner cables for brakes +der, plus cable thingy for under BB) all come with a lever set, so you don't have to buy separately.