Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Crank to FSA BB Compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-10, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I acquired an FSA Mega Exo BB-8200 bottom bracket and would like to use it with my existing Shimano FC6600 Crankset. Are they compatible?

The diameter seems to be OK but I haven't installed it as yet so I'm not sure about the width, whether spacers are required or whether I just install them both and all will be OK?
Old 12-25-10, 07:57 PM
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using a Mega Exo with my XT crank, and have not had any problems. If you want to make sure it works, put in the external cups--just snug, and see if the non-drive side arm seats correctly. It should be up against the bearing, but not under any pressure. If you have a gap, check to see which spacers fill it. If it takes two spacers (if I remember right they are 2.5mm), put one on each side. For spacers, remove crank and cups, and install. For no spacers, remove crank and tighten the cups, then reinstall crank.
Old 12-28-10, 10:31 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used FSA BB's before with Shimano 105/Ultegra cranks and it worked fine. The one I've had issues with is Truvativ BB and Shimano cranks. No workie.
Old 12-28-10, 02:04 PM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The 8200 is a lower Q-factor BB for the K-Light and others. So to answer the question correctly, no it won't work. It's different than the regular Mega-Exo used with the Gossamer/Vero/etc. If you don't mind the crank banging back and forth or trying to Rube Goldberg shims it'll be wonderful though.

$35 bux will get you a BB-7900 Shimano and it'll be good.
Old 12-28-10, 02:25 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by badamsjr
I am using a Mega Exo with my XT crank, and have not had any problems. If you want to make sure it works, put in the external cups--just snug, and see if the non-drive side arm seats correctly. It should be up against the bearing, but not under any pressure. If you have a gap, check to see which spacers fill it. If it takes two spacers (if I remember right they are 2.5mm), put one on each side. For spacers, remove crank and cups, and install. For no spacers, remove crank and tighten the cups, then reinstall crank.
And ... wrong.

https://velonews.competitor.com/2009/...-dilemma_86337

As an addendum, the FSA BB-6000's are now 6000/8000. Can anyone confirm shimano compatibility with the new unit?
Old 12-28-10, 02:26 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by knobster
I've used FSA BB's before with Shimano 105/Ultegra cranks and it worked fine. The one I've had issues with is Truvativ BB and Shimano cranks. No workie.
Maybe you ought to qualify WHICH fsa BB it was since they make half a dozen of them, not all of which are compatible with shimano cranks.

Originally Posted by CCrew

$35 bux will get you a BB-7900 Shimano and it'll be good.
And it'll be light years ahead of the FSA bb as well. There's a reason why people swap out their FSA's for a shimano, whenever possible.
Old 01-02-11, 11:24 AM
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
From the cited article:"Definitely the bearing diameter of both the Enduros and the Chris King will work, because you can run a Shimano Hollowtech II crank in an FSA MegaExo bottom bracket and vice versa. The spindle diameter in both cases is 24mm, and both use a 7mm thick bearing. However, your FSA K-Force Light crank has slightly less width from arm to arm. I know because the kit does not yet exist to fit one on a Trek Madone."

I do not know if you read the OP's post, but he did not mention 'K-Force Light'.
Old 01-02-11, 08:54 PM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badamsjr
I do not know if you read the OP's post, but he did not mention 'K-Force Light'.
No, but he mentioned the BB-8200 which is the MegaExo BB that's specific to the K-Force light. Therefore he's told us that he's using a BB that's narrower than what it should be.