Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tightening brake levers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tightening brake levers

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-10, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Tightening brake levers

Hi, this is probably a stupid question, but then that's what most of my questions are. A while back I put new handlebars (road) an aero levers on my bike. I've since found that if I'm using a lot of force on them (like climbing out of the saddle or braking hard and suddenly on a steep downhill with lots of momentum, the levers can move from side to side (never forward and back) a fair bit. Is there a way I can tighten them without removing my whole break cables? Can I just disconnect my straddle (centerpull cantilevers) pull back some cable to get it out of the way and have enough room to fit the allen wrench in there to tighten the bolt? I'd really rather not have to redo my break cables and tape job if I can avoid it, but the side to side mobility of the levers makes me a bit nervous as I'm afraid it'll expand to forward motion one day when I'm on the hoods and I'll eat pavement.
Old 12-30-10, 01:45 PM

Bikes: 2010 Niner EMD, 2008 Surly Steamroller, 2007 Giant OCR.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on the brakes. You may be able to just undo the cable at the brake, and without removing the cable use an allen wrench around the cable and tighten down the brake lever clamp. If there isn't enough room to get the wrench around the cable, you'll have to take the cable out.
Old 12-30-10, 01:45 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Yes, you can do what you describe. Disconnect the cable at the straddle to get some slack, pull the lever until it touches the bars and hold it in place with a rubber band or tape. Then push the cable aside and tighten the clamp bolt as needed.
Old 12-30-10, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Thanks guys, that's probably going to be my last project on the bike before I move it to winter storage to make more room in our 1 bedroom apartment for the baby that's coming next month. Well, unless I swap out my clipped pedals for the clipless I have that I want to try, but I'm considering waiting until spring to do that when I'll be able to give that a try.
Old 12-30-10, 08:05 PM

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I move it to winter storage to make more room in our 1 bedroom apartment for the baby that's coming next month. .
Where are your priorities man? The baby will do fine in the winter storage. He won't even know the difference. But a bike needs to be kept in an indoor heated room. Must be a first baby. I know, I know.

Enjoy parenthood. The early years go by so fast!!!