Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-12, 10:52 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Rode the fixie outside in the dark tonight for 36 miles. It was a pleasant 36 degrees, with dry roads, but there was a 12 mph wind that I had to deal with including one stretch of 6 miles directly into the wind. The ride was supposed to be a WU then 1.5 hrs of Z3. Everything went well until I reached down to get my first drink about 30 minutes into the ride and discovered that I left my bottles at home. I probably had some fatigue in the muscles from last night's trainer class and lack of fluids on the ride and ended with cramps in both calves about 4 miles from finishing. I was able to make it home as long as I was unclipped and only pushed down on the pedals. After working up a good sweat the last few very easy miles had me really getting cold.
I'm sure your trainer sufferfest had nothing whatsoever to do with it!

I did low cadence seated strength work on the way in this morning. Tomorrow will be a group ride with the team that will include race scenario practice (i.e., "let's see if we can make the old guy set a HR record"), and I've decided to do an organized century Sunday with some Bullshifter members, to keep the base miles going and because I can't resist the pulled pork they have at the turnaround. I'll z2 that ride.
Old 01-06-12, 11:14 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
AZT, Was the Met test done in a lab and was it on your Trek with your Quarq PM?
It was done at Endurance Rehabilitation, by a Physical THerapist. They are recommended by just about everyone in the valley for Met tests, including Joe Friel. The last one I did was on the Trek, and my Quarq power numbers were matching the computrainer numbers very closely. I did this one on my Gunnar, because I didn't want to put my XXX wheels on the trainer. The power numbers felt in line with my experience.

Tests are now also being done at my team LBS by Sigma Human Performance. The owner, Ben Stone (Phd physiologist), is working with the team on nutrition and metabolic efficiency, which is his focus. He has the raw test data processed by a "Biostatistician" to correlate RER to percentages of fat vs. carbs being utilized. His primary focus is improving O2 burning capacity. Being the loyal type, I've so far stuck with Endurance Rehab, who has a relationship with my coach. But if it becomes clear that Sigma is providing better data, I'll make the switch.
Old 01-06-12, 11:22 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
So that means you used your Quarq on the Gunnar or did you use the lab's PM?
Old 01-06-12, 11:27 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The lab's PM for all the tests. For the one test when I also had my Quarq, it matched the lab's numbers almost exactly.
Old 01-06-12, 11:28 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
've decided to do an organized century Sunday with some Bullshifter members, to keep the base miles going and because I can't resist the pulled pork they have at the turnaround. I'll z2 that ride.
Are you referring to the Chandler to Casa Grande century?
Old 01-06-12, 11:30 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by k7baixo
Are you referring to the Chandler to Casa Grande century?
Yep. There is a group planning to leave at 8:30, which is technically before the official start, but it's a "leave when you want" type ride, and we see no reason to wait.
Old 01-06-12, 12:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep. There is a group planning to leave at 8:30, which is technically before the official start, but it's a "leave when you want" type ride, and we see no reason to wait.
Cool - We'll be there at 0800 and my buddy and I plan on leaving NLT 0830. We'll both be on recumbents. I'm on a blue Bacchetta.

If this goes well, I'm thinking about a 300-km brevet a few weeks later.

If we don't cross paths, have a safe ride...
Old 01-07-12, 01:44 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just had one of the best rides of my nascent cycling career. Set a PR on 9 mile hill by well over 3 minutes: 30' @ 297w. Only 8 of the ~30 rider group finished ahead. And I wasn't too terribly far off from the leaders on the 2 designated sprints. Thought I was on the first one (over a couple of rollers) but looked back and realized there was another group way behind. Anyway, I'm jazzed about hanging with the big dogs on a race-prep ride with points being awarded. Truly motivational.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/5UPJ...W44BQSUKZGQXXE

So clearly my FTP isn't 240w, as I just did 30' @ 297 and know I could have kept that going, so I need to sort out the huge difference between my LT and my FTP - probably a lack of understanding on my part.
Old 01-07-12, 03:14 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on the huge step AZTR!!! I let my coach breakdown the watt numbers and don't try myself. I try to keep it simple and provide data, get the workout, then throw myself into producing the effort to do what I was told.
Old 01-07-12, 04:36 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just had one of the best rides of my nascent cycling career. Set a PR on 9 mile hill by well over 3 minutes: 30' @ 297w.
That's excellent. I don't get up that way every often but I've ridden 9-mile hill before and that's great!
Old 01-07-12, 04:59 PM
Version 7.0

Congrats AZT. All the z2 work is paying off.

3:18 minute endurance ride starting from home. I start out with a few circuits around the neighborhood to warm up and then start climbing. My first effort was a 10 minute plus z4 climbing 6 to 8 % grade. I followed that up with another 10 minute SST effort on a 4 to 6% grade higher cadence. After a descent, I did 14 minutes of flat to rolling at z3 at high cadence. Total climbing was 3094 feet.
Old 01-07-12, 06:54 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good work aztr.
Old 01-07-12, 07:43 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
So clearly my FTP isn't 240w, as I just did 30' @ 297 and know I could have kept that going, so I need to sort out the huge difference between my LT and my FTP - probably a lack of understanding on my part.
PM'd you on this.
Old 01-08-12, 05:42 PM
Version 7.0

Last night my legs felt like a toxic waste dump. I was not sure how they would be this AM. I did 2:45 minutes of z1/z2 no efforts. It was a beautiful day with moderate temperatures and clear skies. My legs felt better this AM but I did not have much top end.
Old 01-08-12, 07:54 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two hours of fixed gear riding with a group of 10. Nice weather with temps in the high 30's. After yesterdays indoor trainer workout my legs were cooked for today. No hard efforts but just staying in the fold was work.
Old 01-09-12, 04:26 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rode the century yesterday with a group that should have been laid back, but one guy kept pushing the pace, and even sprinting to the SAGs, and I worked too hard for what it was supposed to be. Lots of wind also, and I felt obligated to do my share. Felt 'off' for a few miles in the mid 90's, but perked back up. The big BBQ lunch at 60 miles sat a bit heavy, but good pulled pork is not something I can resist. Already sent a confession to coach.
Old 01-09-12, 04:30 PM
Version 7.0

Only guys that have a hot twenty something triathlete coach send a confession.

Last edited by Hermes; 01-09-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 04:40 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because there is always the slim chance she will want to spank me.

Hey Cleave... VOS reg is open!
Old 01-09-12, 08:07 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Raced Sunday. 3rd in the 45+ but took the "winner" points for the 50+ series. Di2 is slick on the TT bike. I'm slick into a headwind. No power though. Actually kept the gaps very tight into the wind and gave up a fair bit on the tailwind to the guys who beat me. Go figga.

My motivation and energy is really waxing and waning as of late. I feel like I need to go Taxi Driver :

But tonight I'll go drink a beer or something.
Old 01-09-12, 08:26 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Hey, AzT, congrats on that great ride!!! You're definitely going to be a threat this year. Way to go!

Me, I've been a regular at the spin class three times a week, and I see improvement. This may sound silly, but when my boyfriend and I (he's 6"4" tall) do rides together, I pull him. He can't, he really can't, stay in front of me if he takes a pull. Yesterday, I decided that the last ten miles of the ride we were doing were going to be at much higher pace than we had been doing, so I stepped it up. The result was some PR's for me, and I could really feel the positive effects of the spin class work I've been doing. I don't know my zones, but I do know where I was once in the red, I am now in the yellow at the same speeds and pace, and can go much further, harder, than I could a few months ago. I can't hang with you guys, but I am improving - just ask my boyfriend!

Last edited by sarals; 01-09-12 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 09:20 PM
Version 7.0

Racer Ex, Excellent early season result.
Old 01-10-12, 06:09 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals
Hey, AzT, congrats on that great ride!!! You're definitely going to be a threat this year. Way to go!

Me, I've been a regular at the spin class three times a week, and I see improvement. This may sound silly, but when my boyfriend and I (he's 6"4" tall) do rides together, I pull him. He can't, he really can't, stay in front of me if he takes a pull. Yesterday, I decided that the last ten miles of the ride we were doing were going to be at much higher pace than we had been doing, so I stepped it up. The result was some PR's for me, and I could really feel the positive effects of the spin class work I've been doing. I don't know my zones, but I do know where I was once in the red, I am now in the yellow at the same speeds and pace, and can go much further, harder, than I could a few months ago. I can't hang with you guys, but I am improving - just ask my boyfriend!
Great ride report Sara. Keep racing your boyfriend, as he gets better you will get faster, then you get to go and race the girls.
Old 01-10-12, 06:14 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice race result Racer Ex. My first race is a gravel RR in late march and your series is complete! I wont comment on the video as my coach has me doing simular stuff plus some really extreme tasks.
Old 01-10-12, 06:25 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your form will come, RacerEx.
Old 01-10-12, 08:52 AM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Great ride report Sara. Keep racing your boyfriend, as he gets better you will get faster, then you get to go and race the girls.
Thank you, AJ! He asked me a couple of weeks ago, when we went on a group ride, to please stay with him and not go with the group when they started to push the pace. So, I stayed with him, and HATED IT! I decided then that he'll either keep up with me, or go hungry ! Now, he tries to keep up. What is it about a boy chasing a girl, anyway?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.