Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Magicshine Recommendations

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It appears to me that Geoman is not going to replace the defective batteries in the Magicshines that they sold any time soon. (I would think that by now they would have figured out what to do if they were going to replace them soon.) I'm still using one of their Magicshines. So far no problems. Should I keep using them or is it time to get new batteries?

Last edited by rmac; 01-02-11 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Revised
Old 01-02-11, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmac
It appears that Geoman is not going to replace the defective batteries in the Magicshines that they sold. (I would think that by now they would have figured out what to do if they were going to replace them.) I'm still using one of their Magicshines. So far no problems. Should I keep using them or is it time to get new batteries?
Um, you base this on what? Geoman stated a few days ago on MTBR that he is indeed replacing the batteries. Post like yours serve no purpose but to fuel rumors.
Old 01-02-11, 02:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Um, you base this on what? Geoman stated a few days ago on MTBR that he is indeed replacing the batteries. Post like yours serve no purpose but to fuel rumors.
Let's try reading the post -- specifically the sentence in the parentheses.

Could you post the link to the Geoman post?

Last edited by rmac; 01-02-11 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-02-11, 03:03 PM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's try reading the post -- specifically the sentence in the parentheses.

Could you post the link to the Geoman post?
Let's see, you post bad info, then give me a snarky response to calling you out on it, then ask me to dig up a post for you from another forum and can't even ask nicely? I'm sure you can find it just as quickly as I can.
Old 01-02-11, 04:32 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I haven't even gotten an email from him yet about the supposed 'recall'. Let alone anything about a replacement.
Old 01-02-11, 05:37 PM
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I agree, Geoman is moving slow and needs to update his customers on battery replacement status.

I believe the hazard/danger of MS batteries is a little overblown - I'm far more concerned about a chain breaking, a tire blowing or some lunkhead in 5,000 lbs of motor vehicle plowing into me.

I have one of these (below), it works fine so far. I bought it in November as part of a complete MS900 rig. I got it from this seller in 3 business days. I inquired specifically about battery (re. geoman recall) and Jim of Nova Bike Lights assured me he was selling new batteries from a new vendor. He also stated that Nova Bike Lights offers 6 month warranty on all MS products.

https://cgi.ebay.com/New-WATERPROOF-B...item4154fe4bce

I've run my light down 4 times on High mode from fresh charge, and got 180-191 minutes runtime until auto shut-off.

Also, you could buy 18650 cells, charger and 2s2p battery holder and assemble a DIY battery. This would be my second choice, since I already have everything except a $15 2s2p holder to power my flashlights. Batteryspace.com sells all this stuff, although perfectly good cells and charger can be had from dealextreme.com for lower cost.

Last edited by seeker333; 01-02-11 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-02-11, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Let's see, you post bad info, then give me a snarky response to calling you out on it, then ask me to dig up a post for you from another forum and can't even ask nicely? I'm sure you can find it just as quickly as I can.
Sorry. I revised the first post to make it clear that it is my opinion. I tried looking for the post on MTBR and the latest I could find from Geoman was the middle of November.

I think I'll go with the Nova battery. Here is a quote from their website: "As of 11/9/10 they (Magicshine) have switched to a new supplier that is UL and CE approved and these are a much higher quality battery." I only have about another month or so need for the light this year. Thanks seeker333.

Last edited by rmac; 01-02-11 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-03-11, 12:57 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey guys
Yes we have made progress, custom designing and manufacturing an intelligent battery pack to maximise safety, durability and battery life is no easy task. We are are underway and are waiting for the ETA from our US manufacturer on the availability of the finished product. Thanks for your continued patience and support, we appreciate it.
https://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=189
Old 01-03-11, 12:56 PM

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Cool - new batteries some day....... I'm still happy I wired my 6xAA carriers. They'll work out great for short rides.

Currently, I could get 6AA and a charger from a big box drug store for $17. The carriers were $1.98, shrink wrap $2.99........
Old 01-03-11, 09:47 PM

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
I haven't even gotten an email from him yet about the supposed 'recall'. Let alone anything about a replacement.
Same here.
Old 01-05-11, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Geoman is not unaware (i.e. Geoman is aware) of the power of the web to inform those who for whatever reason, fall through the cracks of normal communication. This thread is witness thereof. Because of that same Internet gestalt, I, as a brand new MagicShine candidate purchased the lighthead only, from Geoman and sourced a 2s2p batterypack and charger from batteryspace. Budget conscious lightaholics may want to be aware that some (all?) battery vendors are attempting to charge an extra $25 on orders that include Lion battery packs. This, they maintain, is a fee imposed by Fed-Ex and UPS due to the hazardous nature of lithium batteries. Some sites tell you about the fee pre-purchase and others debit your credit card after you have received your order confirmation.

H

P.S. Do you think you have equal rights to information and replacement of your MagicShine batterypack if you have been flogging it for six months as someone who has only had theirs for six weeks? Where do you think the line should be drawn? Just asking...

Last edited by Leisesturm; 01-05-11 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-05-11, 12:15 PM
Freddin' it

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
P.S. Do you think you have equal rights to information and replacement of your MagicShine batterypack if you have been flogging it for six months as someone who has only had theirs for six weeks? Where do you think the line should be drawn? Just asking...
Rights to information? Absolutely. Geoman has already indicated the batteries are a safety hazard. Regardless of how old the batteries are, he has a moral, ethical, and probably a legal obligation to notify users. Many of us have received no notification. What of those who don't peruse the lighting forums?

Rights to replacement? Doesn't matter what you and I think. Geoman has already publicly committed to it.
Old 01-05-11, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Should I keep using them or is it time to get new batteries?
I'm into my second winter with mine. I'm using it for after-work rides in the dark. No problems with light or battery thus far.
Old 01-05-11, 01:12 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
On a related note...I'm still using mine, but only on my Fuji, I've been using my P7 for the last month on the snow bike. We got a break in the weather and I rode my Fuji Monday. I decided last night to ride it again today, so I charged the MS battery...but the light on the charger was green, as if it had a full charge. I don't remember charging it. Can someone refresh an old, probably going senile, fool's memory...does the green light mean charging or charged? Gawd I feel stupid for even having to ask.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-05-11, 01:30 PM
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
On a related note...I'm still using mine, but only on my Fuji, I've been using my P7 for the last month on the snow bike. We got a break in the weather and I rode my Fuji Monday. I decided last night to ride it again today, so I charged the MS battery...but the light on the charger was green, as if it had a full charge. I don't remember charging it. Can someone refresh an old, probably going senile, fool's memory...does the green light mean charging or charged? Gawd I feel stupid for even having to ask.
That mean one of two things. The battery is fully chargers or the charger is not making connection to the pack as if it is unplug.
Old 01-05-11, 04:47 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
That mean one of two things. The battery is fully chargers or the charger is not making connection to the pack as if it is unplug.
Actually there is another option...that the outlet the charger was plugged into had no power...which was the problem.

When you plug the charger in to an outlet, no battery, the light should turn green, then turn red when connecting a battery that needs a charge. (I found the manual online). In this case, the light was not coming on at all when plugged into an outlet, but turned green when connecting the battery...essentially my battery was powering the charger's LED.

Thanks for the help...next I am going to try to find my ass with both hands.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-05-11, 05:46 PM
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
Actually there is another option...that the outlet the charger was plugged into had no power...which was the problem.

When you plug the charger in to an outlet, no battery, the light should turn green, then turn red when connecting a battery that needs a charge. (I found the manual online). In this case, the light was not coming on at all when plugged into an outlet, but turned green when connecting the battery...essentially my battery was powering the charger's LED.

Thanks for the help...next I am going to try to find my ass with both hands.
I should have known better since things comes in three and I only thought of two
Old 01-06-11, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
I'm into my second winter with mine. I'm using it for after-work rides in the dark. No problems with light or battery thus far.
Same here, and I certainly don't intend to chuck it. How many fires? How serious? How many battery packs sold? Can't make a decision w/o the facts....
Old 01-07-11, 08:50 AM

Bikes: 33yr old mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still using mine also, 5 hours a week on low, never seen an issue, or the red light go on while riding. So there has been no sign on my unit of any potential issues, clearly, I am using the power only on low most of the time.

I'm also not surprised about the delay in finding and qualifying a reliable replacement battery given all the work and testing needed while meeting the cost target.
Old 01-07-11, 01:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry. I revised the first post to make it clear that it is my opinion. I tried looking for the post on MTBR and the latest I could find from Geoman was the middle of November.

I think I'll go with the Nova battery. Here is a quote from their website: "As of 11/9/10 they (Magicshine) have switched to a new supplier that is UL and CE approved and these are a much higher quality battery." I only have about another month or so need for the light this year. Thanks seeker333.
Had second thoughts about this battery based on the Gemini light thread. There they say only the battery cells are UL approved. Could this be the same situation here?
Old 01-07-11, 05:28 PM
Cyclologist

Bikes: Trek 4500, Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is doubtful that anything "value priced" like these are actually UL listed or approved - the specs for the UL standards for Li Ions alone are $970. You could ask them for the UL number and see what they say. I assume you are talking about Nova because the Gemini guy has been pretty forthcoming in the other thread including battery cell UL number.

None of my chargers including MP3 player, cell, bike lights nor even LaCrosse charger have the UL symbol (all the AC-DC converters seem to have one though). None of the Duracells, Eneloops or Energizers on hand have a UL symbol. I think someone is fibbing - either the vendor or the Chinese.

Last edited by Plutonix; 01-07-11 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-09-11, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
No problem with mine either. Sees pretty much daily use right now lighting my after work rides.
Old 01-20-11, 11:43 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I am seriously considering buying a whole new light system to replace my Magicshine. It has been several months since the battery issue arose and still no replacements. My MS batteries still work but the run time is very inconsistent. On very cold days, my battery lasts only one commute (about 90 minutes total) running on the second and third highest power setting. On milder days, the battery lasts two commutes if I'm lucky.

I have emailed Geoman several times about the replacement batteries. He has responded each time and said new replacement batteries are coming, but I can only hold out so long. As a bike commuter, I use my lights nearly every day and I'm afraid that the MS will leave me stranded one day when the battery finally gives up the ghost.
Old 01-20-11, 12:13 PM
Cyclologist

Bikes: Trek 4500, Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This just came up in another thread. Ballistic Batteries is a RC place that has started making MS packs. They have 4400, 5200 and 7800 packs as well as a decently priced charger. They assemble the packs themselves.

I dont know if they do the $25 Haz Mat shipping fee, if not the 5200 looks like great as does the Gemini pack (same size).
Old 01-20-11, 03:03 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I am seriously considering buying a whole new light system to replace my Magicshine.
Getting a battery from another source would be cheaper than replacing the whole unit. all-battery has a 4 cell pack for about $42, if you could solder on a MagicShine connector you'd be all set. I bought one of their 8 cell packs a year ago on sale, soldered on a MS connector, and it's been running great, I can run a week without recharging. Unfortunately the $25 price is gone, they're $70 now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.