Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hello - New & need tips to help a friend

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-02, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

I am very new to biking. Just started this weekend!

I'm still in the "biking for fun" stage, but hope to become a more athletic bike rider somewhere down the line.

I was discussing my biking goals with a friend a few hours ago and she admitted that she never learned how to ride a bike (she's 22). I'd like to teach her, but I've never taught anyone how to ride. Does anyone here have any tips on teaching someone how to ride a bike? I really don't remember learning how to ride and don't know what to say/do (other than cheering her on). We both want her bike learning experience to be as pleasant as possible. Thanks!
Old 04-01-02, 07:31 PM
New to bikeforùms.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my opinion, riding a bike takes common sense......and some skill. =Does she even know how to ride a bike?....like balance on it and everything? Just have her ride alot, she'll get better with more experience
Old 04-01-02, 08:09 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
One suggestion frequently mentioned in other NG's.

Remove the pedals with a wrench - one of the pedals turns the opposite way you would think, as I recall.

Lower the seat so that the feet touch the ground.

Let you friend sit on the seat, moving the bike with her feet against the sidewalk or grass or whatever. As she feels more comfortable, have her lift feet enough to learn to balance and turn.

Once she feels ok about that, replace pedals and let her get started and use the pedals to propel.

I am sure there are more techniques, but you should get the idea.

DO NOT USE TRAINING WHEELS.
Old 04-01-02, 08:36 PM

Bikes: Kona Dr Dew, Lemond Le Alp, Mongoss NX-7, Trek T200 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Find a gentle, grassy downhill. Its a lot easier to learn to balance when going downhill.
Old 04-01-02, 08:49 PM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great post Denver, This is how we teach older students (12 and older) how to ride a bike at the cities effective cycling course. Most of the kids pick up basic bicycle balance within an hour or two.

Kirby, don’t try to teach too much at once, show her how to use the breaks as soon as she learns basic bicycle balance. After that, select a easy, but not to easy gear, and have her ride around only in that gear. Teach her how to shift on the next date
Old 04-02-02, 09:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much everyone!
Old 04-02-02, 01:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take her to the top of a hill. Let her go - she'll either ride or you'll know her after the wedding colors.
Old 04-02-02, 01:09 PM
New to bikeforùms.net

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
both pedals turn towards the front of the bike to loosen
Old 04-02-02, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Generally it helps to be quite experienced before you teach, esp with something as deceptively simple as cycling. Since we mostly learn as children it seems trivial, but its probably as tricky a skiing.

Its important, for reasons of confidence , to learn to brake before you ride. Brakes will stop the bike, but not the rider, so riders need to brace against the bars. You can practice braking with a low saddle and no pedals.

Contrary to popular opinion, you dont turn bikes with the bars. You use balance to turn, and steering to regain balance. The natural path of a bike is an S curve, which experienced riders make so flat it looks like a straight line. Beginers should travel in an exagerated S curve, swooping in and out of cuves. Too many beginers try to cycle slowly, steering in the direction of travel, trying to stay upright by balancing. That is very difficult.

Begineers should wear helmet and gloves, long trousers and long sleeved jersy, mainly to prevent grazed skin. Practicing on a gentle grass slope is good. If they fall, the natural reaction is to break the fall with the palm of the hand. Bad idea. This will jolt your shoulder and may break a collar bone. A slow speed fall is best tackled by keeping the elbows and head tucked in, and relaxing into the fall so you impact with your shoulder. It really doesnt hurt.

Pick a smaller sized bike to learn on, with a womans /girls style frame, and if possible, single speed . Something cheap and simple. Its not the best kind of bike for riding, but makes learning simpler.

I was a sports instructor at college, and learnt that people dont respond well to verbal instruction, you need to prod and poke them to get the right position, and demostrate rather than lecture.
Old 04-02-02, 06:40 PM
Life's Too Short

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey
this is just my personal opinion, and no one has agrred with me on it yet, but once some1 gets the hang of basic balance, riding uphill can help improve the skill faster.
Old 04-02-02, 06:40 PM
New to bikeforùms.net

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
guess what......nobody caught me! hahaahhaha i said the pedals both turn to the front of the bike to LOOSEN.....but they actually turn towards the front of the bike to TIGHTEN!!! BRAIN FART