Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Europe
Reload this Page >

Want to get back into cycling, what's the best way please?

Search
Notices
Europe Europe

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I have just joined, and I live in the UK. I haven't ridden my bike for a while and would like to get back into cycling, after being told by my nurse I'm slightly overweight. I have a curvature of the spin, and I am worried that my back will give me pain if I try and get back into it again and put me off. What's the best way of doing it please?

Old 01-17-11, 03:08 PM
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
I take it "curvature of the spin" was just a freudian slip.

There's only one way to find out if you are going to have pain and that's to start with something that will give you an upright stance like a straight handlebar hybrid. Take it easy to start and don't over do it. A combination of diet and exercise (walking also) will bring down your weight over time.

Maybe your nurse can give you some advice and encouragement.

Make sure your saddle and handlebar is set right and just go for it.

Best of luck.
Old 01-18-11, 04:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apologies, I have dyslexia. I will ask my nurse for advice, have to replace the tyre's first with new one's. Could you please recommend a UK magazine that's for family cycling, not sporty? Many thanks.

Old 01-18-11, 05:32 AM
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Hi again,

I used to have a subscription with Cycling Plus magazine which is probably the least sporty but still has quite a bit on road racing etc.

As you can probably tell from the shelves in your newsagent most cycling magazines are aimed towards the club racer and mtb people.

I'd recommend you join the Cyclists Touring Club who despite the name cover all types of leisure cycling and do advocacy work on behalf of UK cyclists. They have a glossy magazine called Cycle that is issued to all members 6 times a year. It's not advertising driven so tends more to cover the genuine needs and interests of ordinary cyclists. I used to be a member of the CTC myself and am seriously thinking of becoming a member again.
https://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3327
Old 01-18-11, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would start with the question -- What kind of a bike do you currently have?

Given your back condition, is it set up (can it be set up) to give you a comfortable riding position?
Old 01-18-11, 11:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Dawes hi-bread tourer (sorry, don't know if I spelt that right)

Old 01-18-11, 01:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RIDE lol
Old 01-19-11, 09:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have discovered the magazine Cycle Active, and it's very good.

Old 01-21-11, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure your nurse/doctor knows you're planning on starting cycling, and they approve of it for your particular condition. There's no fooling around with spine!

I would suggest that you go to your local bike store with your bike and ask to be fitted (or maybe call first for appointment). They will be able to see your position, make sure your bike is the right size and fit, and if not, suggest changes. You will probably be charged for this, but it's well worth the money. And get the new tires from them, you can start a very nice relationship with your local bike store, very valuable.
Once you know that your bike fits you, just ride. You may find out that certain things still give you trouble, and maybe more adjustments are needed, that's normal. Take it slow, and ride more as your fitness level increases.

There's lots of great info here, on Bike Forums. Have a look at hybrid forum, general cycling etc. Lots of great advice, and a bit of fun and community as well.

Welcome and congrats on taking up the cycling!
Old 01-23-11, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much. Should I take my bike in to be checked over fully, or just get the tyre's?

Old 02-01-11, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kpasa
RIDE lol
And have fun with it! Cycling really is a great pastime.
Old 02-01-11, 02:39 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AuraTodd
Thanks very much. Should I take my bike in to be checked over fully, or just get the tyre's?

Depends on how many miles since last serviced--And whether you have a decent shop that will do the service for you.

On your back- Ride the bike gently and see if the back can take the strain. You won't know till you try it but if it is a recent Ailment since you last rode-then it could cause a few problems. I have a back problem and I cannot sit upright on a bike. I ride road with drop bars and a stretched out position. That long stretched position takes the vertical strain off the vertebrae and is comfortable. Even on the MTB I have a longer lower position than I used to have to accomodate the back.

But all of us are different- And hopefully you can still ride your current Dawes "Hybrid"?

Just hope you don't have start thinking about a recumbent--Beards and Potbelly's don't suit all of us

Spike Milligan
Old 02-02-11, 03:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, what is a recumbent?
Old 02-02-11, 05:28 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi I have just joined, and I live in the UK. I haven't ridden my bike for a while and would like to get back into cycling, after being told by my nurse I'm slightly overweight. I have a curvature of the spin, and I am worried that my back will give me pain if I try and get back into it again and put me off. What's the best way of doing it please?

Depending on exactly where in the UK you are you may be able to find a local group that does rides for all abilities. Actually "all abilities" usually means they're aimed more at beginners and people who don't mind moving at a moderate pace. A well organised ride will have one leader at the front who obviously leads the way, and another at the back to make sure nobody gets left behind.

Your doctor can probably give you better advice than a thousand bulletin boards about whether cycling is likely to cause you problems, simply because s/he will know how it affects you rather than what it might be like as a generic condition. But as others have said, if you avoid cycling positions that are most prone to cause you problems you may be able to enjoy cycling. Being "slightly overweight" isn't a problem - exercise is a great way to fix the weight issue.
Old 02-02-11, 12:18 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hi, what is a recumbent?
A recumbent is a bike but you more of Lay down on it with your feet being the foremost part of the body. You either like them or you don't but many cyclists that have run into back problems with a "Normal" cycle can ride these successfully.

They are a bit unusual so I am certain you must have seen them about as you will know when you have seen one.

The beard and potbelly is tongue in cheek as they are ridden by allsorts of people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TMLWB1.jpg (47.8 KB, 4 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 02-03-11, 03:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
A recumbent is a bike but you more of Lay down on it with your feet being the foremost part of the body. You either like them or you don't but many cyclists that have run into back problems with a "Normal" cycle can ride these successfully.

They are a bit unusual so I am certain you must have seen them about as you will know when you have seen one.

The beard and potbelly is tongue in cheek as they are ridden by allsorts of people.
What a cute little boy (or girl) if you don't mind me saying. Will get son into cycling when he is old enough.
Old 02-07-11, 08:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have bought a Canyon cycling hat for £19.99, are they good makes?
Old 02-08-11, 03:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that. Going to check out a place called https://www.cycleworld.co.uk/ as they are charging 1/2 price on servicing bikes. Are they very good?

Old 02-09-11, 03:25 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for that. Going to check out a place called https://www.cycleworld.co.uk/ as they are charging 1/2 price on servicing bikes. Are they very good?

Too few of us around to know every shop and how good they are-- If you come 100 miles East I can recommend my local LBS or a couple up near Horsham-- But before getting any work done- Get a quote. That will give you an idea if you can afford it and an idea of how they will treat you. The hard part of Cyling is finding the Local Bike shop (LBS) that you like and will treat you right.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-11-11, 08:32 PM

Bikes: 1997 Gary Fisher Mamba, 1999 Corratec Free Ride FS LX (frame), 2006 Bicycles TXF 900 & a number of various clunkers...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have bought a Canyon cycling hat for £19.99, are they good makes?
Isn't it a tad bit too late to ask this question after you had bought it?

Now, the best helmet is the one which fits your head best and suits your requirements of comfort and style. Apart from that, the majority of helmets on the market are made good enough in terms of safety and durability, too - keep in mind that regardless of the use, the hat should be replaced after approx. 5 years since the material ages (and throw it immediately in the can after an impact, of course).