Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Carbolite+ frame for single speed conversion?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, first post on here.

I recently wrote off my Peugeot Racer (~1986?) with "Carbolite+" tubing - bottom bracket axle snapped while riding.

I stripped down the frame and figured I might as well try a single speed conversion.

How do I know whether my frame is in good shape/a good frame? It says "Carbolite+" on it, and is Peugeot stock. Has anyone worked with this stuff before?

The reason I ask is that it will cost me about £250 for the conversion, possibly £300, so for a little more I can buy a discounted new Charge Plug single speed and I don't want to waste the money is the frame is notoriously bad.

Thanks for any help,

Amadeus
Old 01-19-11, 11:53 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure "Carbolite" was Peugot's house brand hi-ten steel. I'm not sure if "Carbolite+" is some kind of more desirable alloy, but I kinda doubt it.

If you want something a little "different" and the entertainment value that comes with building up a bike, then you can do the conversion.

It does not, however, make any sense from an economics standpoint. Especially if you can get $50 for the frame on craigslist from some hipster who wants to make a fixie.
Old 01-19-11, 11:58 AM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Carbolite is just carbon steel, which is on a par with what we now call high tensile. Nothing wrong with it, really, just pretty low end. I wouldn't spend £300 on a frame like that.

Edit: basically what dsh just said.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-19-11, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With a Peugeot from 1986 you may find yourself playing the French standards game. Something to consider.
Old 01-19-11, 01:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on Carbolite being gaspipe steel.

Though, the redeeming factor is the long wheel base and comfortable ride associated with a Peugeot.

Have a Peugeot in the stable, myself, but it was a $5 thrift store find. Probably would not sink 550 pounds into a similar bicycle. There's much better avenues with that figure.
Old 01-19-11, 03:28 PM
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
+1 on everything. If it were complete I'd probably ride it, but that frame isn't worth sticking hundreds of dollars into. Financially you're much better off buying a complete bike.
Old 01-19-11, 05:33 PM
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bottom bracket was one of the most expensive parts I had to replace on my UO-9 conversion, because it was Swiss and my only option was to go threadless. That said, if you swap out the 27" wheels for 700c, you can run pretty much whatever tire/fender combo you want. As long as the rest of the bike is in good repair, you can put together a very nice city bike for not a lot of money.
Old 01-20-11, 05:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I also have to replace the wheels (long story), which is about a 1/3 of the cost of the project. Last time I replaced the rear wheel I had to rebuild the hub with the original axle as the supplied quick release axle wouldn't fit inside the tight rear forks (french standards)?

I'm not sure what sort of thread the BB is as it is still wedged in. My plan is to take photos of it and post a separate post for advice. I just wanted to see if this Carbolite frame was well known...

If I bought new I am thinking of:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-plug-grinder-2010/ or
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-plug-racer-2010/

which are heavily discounted. For that money I figured I could buy a stand and fix my old frame. My main worries would be getting the chain line right with the tight rear axle and buying the right BB axle length.

Thanks for the help - great resource here.